2008/2009 Hockey Thread v2.0

Clawson

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First big deal in the drive to the deadline has been made.

The Ottawa Senators acquired Mike Comrie and Chris Campoli from

the New York Islanders in exchange for Dean McAmmond and a 1st Round Pick this year.

The Island looks to be selling, because that's a steal of a deal...especially considering that the pick will likely be between 28 and 30. If they are in fact selling off properties, then we can expect quite a few more moves from Garth Snow before March 4.

EDIT: I forgot to mention why the pick is so far down. It was originall San Jose's first round pick, and I figure the top 3 teams in the league will be San Jose, Detroit and Boston... which means, that the pick would be one of the last three in the first round of the draft.

Edited by Gabriel

First big deal in the drive to the deadline has been made.

The Ottawa Senators acquired Mike Comrie and Chris Campoli from

the New York Islanders in exchange for Dean McAmmond and a 1st Round Pick this year.

The Island looks to be selling, because that's a steal of a deal...especially considering that the pick will likely be between 28 and 30. If they are in fact selling off properties, then we can expect quite a few more moves from Garth Snow before March 4.

EDIT: I forgot to mention why the pick is so far down. It was originall San Jose's first round pick, and I figure the top 3 teams in the league will be San Jose, Detroit and Boston... which means, that the pick would be one of the last three in the first round of the draft.

That is still a steal of a deal since Comrie was probably going to walk at the end of the season and Campoli, while decent, has not improved as much as people thought he would.

I think Ottawa won that deal.

You move McAmmond, who is really just a depth forward, and easily replaceable... and you bring in Mike Comrie, who's going to be playing as a Top 6 forward, which takes some of the pressure off of the big 3, as well as Mike Fisher...who really should be in a checking role.

Then, you bring in Campoli, who while he hasn't developed exactly as planned, hasn't really had the best environment for development either. He's contracted through next season at less than a million dollars, and he's a decent puck moving defenseman. In exchange for him, Ottawa parted with San Jose's first round pick, which, like I said, is going to be a late-20's or #30 pick. I'm not sure if the Sens still have their own first rounder, but even if they don't, the talent and prospects are all in Ottawa already...they just need to figure out what holes need to be filled, and which guys just won't produce in the Ottawa environment.

I can see Comrie re-upping his deal with the Senators anyways. I mean, he stayed in Long Island for awhile. Ottawa is a team on the verge of being a top contender... they just need to remove what dead weight they have, and fill those holes. He'd be stupid to walk at the end of the season, because he's not a superstar player, which means he's likely to get the same money wherever he goes.

But are the Senators even in a position to compete? Even with the hot streak they have been on, they are still 13 points back.

I'm not counting them out, especially if they can pick up a goalie. Elliot has been great, but he's unproven.

There's a lot on the market right now too.

Kari Lehtonen

Manny Fernandez

Nikolai Khabibulin

Nicklas Backstrom

Martin Biron

Lehtonen and Bulin have both been shopped around recently. Both goalies in Boston are UFA's at the end of the year, and only one is likely to re-sign, so they might as well move one of them and get some sort of compensation. Backstrom is a UFA at the end of the season, and if the Wild can't re-sign him before the deadline, he's extremely likely to move... and the Flyers are looking to pick up a better goalie themselves, which makes both Biron and Niittymaki available, and while he's been shaky this season, Martin Biron delivers during the post-season, so I would highly advise that teams needing a goalie take a chance on him.

Even if they can't add a goalie, 13 points can be made up pretty fast here. Usually by the Deadline, the top 2 to 5 teams in each Conference are pretty much locked in to the playoffs... and you have the teams that are obviously done for the season. Everything in-between though, can change drastically... and I feel that the Senators are one of those in-between teams.

I think the Islanders may have landed the better deal here. Comrie is a UFA at season's end, and I believe Campoli is a RFA at the end of this season too.

Being thirteen points back the Sens are going to need to do some serious hockey playing to get into the playoff picture. Or everyone ahead of them will need to sink like a rock.

It'll be interesting to see how this all works out. NYI are stockpiling the picks for this year.

I think the Islanders may have landed the better deal here. Comrie is a UFA at season's end, and I believe Campoli is a RFA at the end of this season too.

Being thirteen points back the Sens are going to need to do some serious hockey playing to get into the playoff picture. Or everyone ahead of them will need to sink like a rock.

It'll be interesting to see how this all works out. NYI are stockpiling the picks for this year.

I already mentioned that Comrie is a UFA, but I think that he would sign a deal with the Senators. He won't make better money anywhere else, and they're on the cusp of being a very good team.

I also noted that Campoli is signed through next season. He'll be a free agent on July 1st, 2010.

One or two of the teams on the playoff bubble in the East will completely fall apart. Ottawa will have every opportunity to make the playoffs, providing they don't go back to playing like they did at the beginning of the season.

The Islanders definitely weren't losers in this deal though. Comrie was unlikely to re-sign with them, and Campoli wasn't going to work out for the team. They picked up another first round pick, and a veteran with leadership qualities.

How does Comrie fit into what cap space the Sens have though? I'm not sure what their situation is cap wise, but would Alfie coming back (he's on IR right now, isn't he?) not help the cap situation at all, considering his rather large hit. The Senators have big money plugged into a small number of players, would they have enough money with the guys they have now to comfortably resign Comrie?

As far as Campoli goes; well...he's been unimpressive overall with the Islanders. Maybe a change of scenery will help him out.

How does Comrie fit into what cap space the Sens have though? I'm not sure what their situation is cap wise, but would Alfie coming back (he's on IR right now, isn't he?) not help the cap situation at all, considering his rather large hit. The Senators have big money plugged into a small number of players, would they have enough money with the guys they have now to comfortably resign Comrie?

As far as Campoli goes; well...he's been unimpressive overall with the Islanders. Maybe a change of scenery will help him out.

Comrie: The Senators free'd up $3.5 million by sending Gerber to the minors. He's not coming back next season, and if the Senators go out and get a legit number one goalie, they're going to need to move Spezza or Heatley to do it anyways. The cap space WILL be there.

Campoli: Some guys just don't do well with certain teams. The environment just doesn't work for them, and they need a change. I am not sure if Campoli is going to turn into the player he was projected as being, but you gotta break a few eggs once in awhile to find the really good ones. Dean McAmmond isn't a huge loss, and neither is the SJ first round pick. (Provided Ottawa still has their original, or someone else's first rounder).