2008/2009 Hockey Thread v2.0

Clawson

Penguins win in amazing fashion. Awesome.

Outside of winning the Cup (I was too young to actually remember watching it), that win might be the greatest game I've ever watched live. As a Penguin fan, to see the Pens comeback from being down 3-0 and score 5 unanswered goals to eliminate the Flyers in their own building was amazing.

The way Max Talbot told the fans to be quiet after his fight with Daniel Carcillo was awesome. At the time I didn't understand why he was doing it, but looking back on it it was almost like a warning. He got the Flyers to do the one thing they cannot do if they want to win...play with emotion.

And as usual, the dumbass Flyers let their emotions get the best of them and the Pens just took over. Seeing all those mouth breathers in the stands sit their with stunned looks on their stupid faces was something I'll never forget.

Now the world's greatest leader Mike Richards can lead his team to the golf course, while Sid and the rest of the Pens will wait for what's sure to be a great 2nd round series.

Though I must say I'm conflicted as to who I want to see the Penguins play. I don't think any time (even Boston) is so good that the Pens don't stand a chance to win the series. Cam Ward scares me though. The Crapitals do not. And neither do the Devils. So I guess I'd prefer one of those two teams.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The better team won the series. No complaints from me.

Flames were just far too banged up. What Langkow was doing in the lineup when he could barely shoot is beyond me, but whatever.

Looking ahead to next season, we need a goalie who can step in when Kipper's not doing so well. McElhinney isn't that guy. He's fine as a backup for a team not aiming for the Cup... but Calgary was, and will be, aiming for the Stanley Cup. You can't do that with an inexperienced backup... ESPECIALLY when the team has suffered so many injuries.

That said, the young guys stepped it up for us, the Nystrom's and Moss's... Seabrook and Keith did a great job keeping Iggy off the score sheet, and our other big guys just never really showed up except for brief glimpses.

Let's go Anaheim... so I can see Chicago/Vancouver.

Perhaps the greatest joy of all about the Sharks losing is the vindication of Ron Wilson.

It'll also be nice to see Detroit get banged around by the Ducks in their upcoming series. Between travel, and getting thrown around the ice; hopefully the Wings will be too down and out to make it to the finals.

Not that I'm anti-Red Wings or anything. <_<

Ugh, I don't know who I want to lose more, Wings or Ducks. I guess at a push it'd have to be Detroit, but I can't stand Anaheim.

For me, I want Anaheim to win... but that's more down to Jonas Hiller. I'm really happy to see him being given the ball to run with, and I think he's done a tremendous job.

Same over in Washington, with Simeon Varlamov. I thought he was done after the Super Series, 2 years ago. He just got lit up, and I thought maybe I wouldn't see him in the NHL... but he's definitely bounced back and gotten better because of that. Backstrom and Varlamov have been a lot of fun to watch in that series.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

I wonder if a Bruins/Rangers second-round matchup would get the NHL back on American radar to some extent. Especially with the Hawks still alive too.

I wonder if a Bruins/Rangers second-round matchup would get the NHL back on American radar to some extent. Especially with the Hawks still alive too.

Well since NBC shows those two teams (or the Penguins) every fucking weekend in primetime...no, it won't work.

Okay... didn't do too well on the first round picks... got the Pittsburgh win in 6 right though. Yay!

ROUND 2

Chicago d. Vancouver in 7

Detroit d. Anaheim in 6

Boston d. Carolina in 5

Pittsburgh d. Washington in 7

My MVP award for the first round of the playoffs goes to... from the Washington Capitals... Goaltender Simeon Varlamov.

First Round All-Star Team:

F Jonathan Toews

F Michael Ryder

F Nicklas Backstrom

D Brent Seabrook

D Zdeno Chara

G Simeon Varlamov

I'm not sure I'd call Simeon Varlamov the mvp of the first round. He played good, and made a few big saves, but he wasnt really tested. Most of the shots he faced werent that good, and there werent many 2nd and 3rd shots off rebounds. The rangers weren't hitting the net. I do agree that Valamov did make the great saves when he needed to...but the rangers werent really testing him.

And tonight, Avery had a big chance but shot it right into Valamov. Nikki had a breakaway but didnt do anything.. he got in way to close and then tried to make a move. 2 really big saves, but the rangers made it easy for him.

He's going to have a lot more pressure against the penguins. (Assuming they're playing them. I'm not sure how the devils game turned out, but I saw somebody mention Ovechkin vs crosby.) The penguins will throw a lot more to the net, and they'll get more traffic than the rangers did. If Varlamov can keep making the big saves, and keep the score low.... he'll be the biggest story of the playoffs, but in the first round, the rangers just couldnt get shots.

Edited by thisgamewelose

It was. New Jersey doesn't usually have meltdown's of that magnitude, but the Cane's just wanted it more. They seem like a pain in the ass to face as they can grind you down and has solid goaltending. I don't see them getting past Boston though, not after how they started their playoffs with such an emphatic win over their rivals who they traditionally never beat.

Also, I am getting sick of playing Detroit. I still think we have a good chance though. Beating the top team in the league (Without it seeming like a struggling upset) solidifies in my mind that we can compete with anyone in the NHL.

The Ducks are a team I didn't want to face in the first round. I was rooting for St. Louis to win their last game, and Anaheim to lose so that Anaheim would be the 8th seed and not the 7th. They're a physical team that can score and are better than their record indicates.

That being said, I have a little more confidence now. The Red Wings play with far more energy than the Sharks showed (Were they even trying?!), and I'd like to see how good Hiller plays when with Holmstrom/Franzen in his face. My guess is not as well as he has been playing. On top of that, one of my close friends is a Shark fan, and I feel for him. I also really really hate the Ducks. I hope the Wings destroy them.

I think the Wings are fully capable of doing so. It just depends whether they can keep professional and not let the Ducks' goonery knock them off their game, and whether Osgood and stay in Playoff form or whether he reverts back to regular season 08/09 form (in which case the Wings are screwed).

Should be a fun series, but hopefully the Wings can put the Ducks in an early hole. If they let the Ducks take either of the first two games, they're gonna struggle. Either way, in my mind, whichever team wins this series will go to the finals. No offense to Vancouver and Chicago.

No offense to Red Wing fans, but your team is old, slow, overpaid, and championed by a goaltender who is at worst a step up from the AHL and at best fucking bipolar. If you guys last another round I'd have a parade.

No offense to Red Wing fans, but your team is old, slow, overpaid, and championed by a goaltender who is at worst a step up from the AHL and at best fucking bipolar. If you guys last another round I'd have a parade.

I heard people saying the same thing last year. People have short memories I guess :P

I'm pretty sure it's just wishful thinking actually

I heard people saying the same thing last year. People have short memories I guess :P

I'm pretty sure it's just wishful thinking actually

No it's just Canucks fans. Most of them forget they have a team before the playoffs then talk trash to teams that are actually good.

Sean is one of the few good ones out there, but he can go a little crazy sometimes.