Madden '09

Cactus Drags

I know this probably sounds stupid, but how exactly do you do the 40 yard dash? It gives instructions, but they don't seem to work for me, so am I doing something wrong?

On the PS3, btw.

I can tell you how to do it, but not how to do it well. You press the left stick down...just down, and then let it back up and press the right stick down....let it back up...left stick. Basically it's just down on each joystick alternating (you actually don't have to wait for them to go back up).

Getting fast at it seems really hard. I've seen people online claim they got sub 4.2 times (in Madden 08, but it's basically the same), but they never said whether it was superstar mode or with a certain superstar. Running it with faster players seems to make it easier. With the Lions in Mini game mode I ran under 4.1, but in probably 30+ tries in superstar mode, the best I ever got was 4.38 with a qb and 4.41 with a running back. I eventually gave up and just created the superstar how I wanted them as a rookie on a team and then just asked to get traded right away.

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was really bad at it on last year's game, rarely got under a 5.00 but I've managed to get 4.8something with Patrick Crayton two or three times on 09. I can't enter 'the zone' again, though, is the glitch of it working in mini-game mode but not franchise training mode true on 09 as it was on 08?

Despite my lack of a running game with the Cowboys in my franchise I've been able to get by with solid run defense and a superb passing attack. T.O. leads the league in TDs and yards and Romo was in the top 2 for passing yards last time I checked as well. I did, however, manage to get Barber going against the Buccaneers. I used the lead block a hell of a lot more than usual and found some decent holes, broke off my longest run of the season (26 yards) and got 146 yards & 3 TDs off of 37 carries. Just need to get that average up.

I just came in to say the same thing, and that if anyone wnts to get a start on their schedule, I'm free to play tonight.

I wouldn't want to start playing before all teams are signed in, but since there's so many games to get through, and last year's effort was an unmitigated disaster, may as well get cracking. I'm presuming we can start playing before all the spots are filled as I got an invite to play a league game the other day (I think from jakecarlball).

Yeah, I bought the Collector's Edition, played two games of Madden, got blown off the field by the My Skill setting, then said "fuck it" and threw in Head Coach. And I've probably logged 18 hours on it in three days, including up until 3:30 AM on Sunday morning.

Gotta say, I can't believe EA was dumb enough not to release it in England, because it's a little closer to Football Manager than it is to Madden. There's really no mention of team finances aside from the salary cap, but other than that, you're running all the nuts and bolts. It forces you to get acclimated to things like playbook management and the Play Creator, draft prep (i.e. scouting) is more in-depth than it used to be, and the negotiating AI (trades AND contracts) is realistic to an almost irritating degree. It's depressing to note that using the Falcons, I have a lot of players that are absolutely worthless to every other team in the league, but it's nice to not be able to pawn the biggest scrubs ever off for a 7th round pick. If you demand too much or offer too little, some coaches will literally walk after the first offer. Also, I had a third-round pick miss the first two days of training camp because he demanded a signing bonus. Difficult, but nice.

The whole thing looks a lot brighter and more colorful (with seas of menus, this does help) than the old Head Coach, and best of all, the fucker didn't crash when I reached my first preseason game. Yeah, Madden's gonna collect some dust for a while.

They're computer-generated. I presume this year's class go to the teams that actually drafted them, though.

If you start in offseason, all bets are off, since teams grab different free agents, etc.

In my game, McFadden dropped to 7th for the Patriots, Keith Rivers got drafted 3rd after I traded Atlanta's pick to Carolina, and Vernon Gholston fell to something like 18th.

There's still two places left but I'm not sure if they're free or whether we're waiting for somebody to actually join. LL can clear that up since he's sending out passwords.

I vote for not letting Sqeak in, he just beat someone 73-5 online, I don't fancy being on the receiving end of that :shifty:

Me and Dragsy are going to kick the league off in a few minutes (I'm assured we can play without restricting any people joining the league in the future), stay tuned for a match report that details the destruction of the Chicago Bears.

I'll give the last 2 a chance to sign-up until I get home from work. If when I get home they haven't signed up whoever wants the last 2 spots will speak up and I'll send the password.

They now have 3 hours and 40 minutes.