Wolfmother breaks up

ROC

This via NME.com.

Wolfmother split up

Frontman Andrew Stockdale vows to continue making music

Following rumours that the band had fallen out, Australian three-piece Wolfmother have issued a statement confirming that they have split up.

In the statement the band's record label, Universal Music Australia, said that their split was down to "longstanding frictions".

As previously reported on NME.COM, Wolfmother played a fraught headline set at the Splendour In The Grass festival on Sunday (August 3) in Byron Bay Australia, after which their manager said a statement about the band's status would be released soon.

Since then a press release from Universal Music Australia explained that bassist/keyboardist Chris Ross decided to leave the band "due to irreconcilable personal and musical differences" immediately following the performance.

The statement went on to explain that after Ross left the band drummer Myles Heskett decided he would rather leave Wolfmother than continue as part of a new line-up.

The duo have been writing songs together and, according to the statement, "plan to focus their energies on that new project in the future".

Frontman Andrew Stockdale, however, will continue under the Wolfmother moniker, and will be looking for new musicians to complete the band's line-up and begin work on a new album before the end of the year.

The statement finished asking fans to understand the reasons behind the split.

It read: "Andrew Stockdale, Myles Heskett and Chris Ross will make no public statements at this time except to say that they are each really looking forward to making their new music over the years ahead.

"In the meantime they simply ask all Wolfmother fans to please understand that in spite of their best efforts over a long period of time, they just could not find a harmonious way to work together and that has lead to the decisions announced today."

I'd love to be all nice and be like "Ah well, this sucks or whatever" but then I saw the pic of the band on the NME site and wow, that afro went from campy to pitiful in two years. Thus they deserve to break up and fuck the lead singer.

To be honest, I'm kinda upset by this. While Wolfmother wasn't necessarily the greatest, they were a nice throwback to the classic rock bands from the 60's and 70's.

That being said, I hope that this doesn't go the route of Death From Above 1979 and everybody falls into relative obscurity, or projects that aren't nearly as good as the original.

Here today, gone later today seems to be the trend for many acts these days - especially when they're presenting something fairly different. It's also something of a sad commentary when a band like Wolfmother is considered "different," and it really makes you wonder if a band like Led Zeppelin or Sabbath would ever make it today. Maybe it's just crotchety old man syndrome, but they just don't make music like they used to; I was playing "Sex Type Thing" on Rock Band last night and just kept thinking "where the fuck did music like this go?!" All that said, I can't say I'm too broken up by this, while I enjoyed Wolfmother's album, I don't think it's something they ever could have followed up.

Here today, gone later today seems to be the trend for many acts these days - especially when they're presenting something fairly different. It's also something of a sad commentary when a band like Wolfmother is considered "different," and it really makes you wonder if a band like Led Zeppelin or Sabbath would ever make it today. Maybe it's just crotchety old man syndrome, but they just don't make music like they used to; I was playing "Sex Type Thing" on Rock Band last night and just kept thinking "where the fuck did music like this go?!" All that said, I can't say I'm too broken up by this, while I enjoyed Wolfmother's album, I don't think it's something they ever could have followed up.

Eh. I think the reason people stopped making "music like this" is because it exhausted its possibilities - Sabbath and Zeppelin both became utterly dire towards the end, with Sabbath straying from their doom-laden innovative roots into following cheese metal trends, while Zeppelin became increasingly self-indulgent and distant - not to discredit what they did before, by any means, what I mean to say is that music like that doesn't seem to be around so much any more because it doesn't need to be - because Zeppelin already did it. Why do it again? It won't be any better. Bands like Wolfmother exist all over the world, most of them playing shitty pubs to tiny audiences, because they play a style of music that reached its pinnacle and there's no sense in replicating. Why repeat what's been done, and to a higher standard than you can manage, when there's a vast spectrum of alternative routes to take your music down?