Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

NobBe Nobbs

I just bought Europa Universalis II because it was cheap, I liked it when I had a pirated copy and my computer can't run EUIII, and now I'm looking for other older games that still kick ass - Alpha Centauri, being described as Civ IN SPACE~, interests me and I want to know if it's any good. Stok, I'm looking in your direction

I've got this, or had it...

Civ in space is a good comparison.

You have to build your colony, build relations with other civilisations, and try to Conquer the world! Mwahahaha!

Pretty good game, not too easy either.

I had brief plays with the 'other' Civ games (Alpha Centurai/Test of Time). They held brief entertainment but I grew tired of them relatively quickly and went back to playing Civ2/Civ3/whichever one it was at the time.

And clearly this should be in the official Civilization/Sid Meier thread. ¬_¬

Alpha Centauri is great. It has a really cool plot to it. It plays a lot like the Civilization games that came before it except you have more options in terms of diplomacy and you also get to create your own units out of the technologies you have researched.

It's been a fair while since I played HoI2. I've been playing Civ IV recently, and it was EU3 before that.

It is superb, though.

They announced HoI3 a couple of days ago :w00t:

... :w00t:

What can they add to it, though?

Alpha Centauri pretty much rocks, especially when you get the Alien Crossfire expansion. Throwing in two native alien races that are constantly trying to kill each other and anyone who gets in the way = good times.

Like everyone else has said...Alpha Centauri is an awesome game. It doesn't seem to like XP (for me anyways) so you'll need to get a patch for it.

If you can afford it try to get the Alien Crossfire expansion. Last time I checked it was going for a hell of a lot of money on eBay though.

It's been a fair while since I played HoI2. I've been playing Civ IV recently, and it was EU3 before that.

It is superb, though.

They announced HoI3 a couple of days ago :w00t:

... :w00t:

What can they add to it, though?

There's the trailer, although it doesn't tell you much

The one thing I do know is that there's over 10,000 provinces, so there's definitely going to be a lot more depth. They're still sticking with the standard 1936-48 timeline though, sadly :(

Should be out next September.

If you think HoI2 is too much 'sit and wait', start a game as the Germans at the beginning of Operation Barbarossa (1941). You'll barely have a chance to stop and think. :shifty:

I would only like a Victoria 2 if it was, you know, in no way like the original Victoria in any conceivable sense. Victoria was dire - when what you really wanted was a slightly tweaked EU, you just got some tedious economy management game. Not to mention that large parts of the interface were really ugly. So really, just no.

They're still sticking with the standard 1936-48 timeline though, sadly

Oh come on. Doomsday went to 1953! :@

Edited by stokeriño