Pro Evolution Soccer 2009

Crybaby Bunting

Fifa has always had the license stuff over Pro, yet I don't play a game for that or how it looks, I play it for the gameplay, which Pro has always been better at. I'm not saying the licenses and the way it looks doesn't help a great deal, because it's always a plus, but Fifa's game play is still behind if you ask me. It's bearable on the PS3/X-Box, but how ANYBODY can play it on the PS2 is beyond me, hasn't changed hardly in the slightest. I'm still slightly against the shooting system as well, it's sometimes either way unrealistic or plain stupid at times. And I still believe they need to sort out the difficulty and have needed to for years upon years, because it's still not that hard. Pro has just always felt more realistic and when the game is stressful, it's not stressful in a way like Fifa, it's stressful because it's just too hard at times, which isn't exactly a bad thing. Both games still have their small problems and could easily be worked on properly and be a much better game, but for now I still feel Pro is ahead of Fifa.

And I'm not a hater of Fifa, I wish I could sit and praise it no end because it was 'that good', but it just isn't. There's still so many things these two games can add, yet year after year they fail to do it and worry about other shit like 'SCORE 50 GOALS', when they could be working on moments in the game that actually happen in real life (Offsides, deliberate handballs, deliberate fouls etc).

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of handballs, on my Man Yoo Champions League game against Loserpool, Tevez was about to score with a header until Masch decided to give the ball a nasty forearm and knock it out of play. The ref, of course, did nothing. <_<

Luckily I went on to whoop them 7-0, mostly due to them getting 3 players sent off.

Though I must say, the Champions League Debut achivement is totally borked. I managed to get the one for winning the thing though.

Got a PS3 bundle today with Pro Evo as the game, so far I'm really impressed with the whole thing. Except not being able to do Penalty Shootouts anymore :(

I'm playing with Man City on 'Be A Legend' and I've been getting 6.5 pretty regularly, how long did it take you guys to get on the bench? I've played 6 times, scored twice and set up three goals so I think I'm not far off. By the way, I'm a left winger (Y)

unless it means you get that for playing in the champions league in legend mode.

Yeah, maybe. I wasn't sure if that used CL or the old Masters Cup bollocks. It'd help if the achievements weren't written in such broken English, does no one check these things before they go through?

Started off at Man City, and after 7 training games finally got on the bench for the game away at Wigan. Unused sub <_< Next up I got the last 10 minutes after being one nil down to West Ham, I got through one on one but Green saved with his legs. Then after a couple of more late cameos (mainly when losing) I was brought on at half time against Chelsea; I changed the game, scored twice and set up a third for a comprehensive 3-1 win over the leaders to end our 8 game run without a victory. I got an 8.5 rating and now a place in the starting eleven. I got another assist in a 2-0 win over Arsenal and then scored in a four goal win over Stoke.

Went off the boil a bit after that; not really doing much and we started to throw away leads and only manage draws from winning positions. When the transfer window came about, I was offered a contract by Everton who told me that I could be playing SMF, CMF and AMF wheras at City I was always SMF. They also doubled my wages so I signed for Everton, however they also signed Kaka & Cambiasso :o so looks like I'm in real trouble. Played a couple of training games and I've made the bench for the next game so fingers crossed :)

Yeah so I love this game.

And just as I was starting to get really pissed off, I've just scored a hat-trick against Milan at the San Siro.

Rather happy :D

EDIT: ARRRHHHHGGGG!!! I score 3 against Milan and then get dropped for the next game against Calgari. FUCK OFF!!

Edited by RingysScottishNegro

And just as I was starting to get really pissed off, I've just scored a hat-trick against Milan at the San Siro.

Rather happy :D

EDIT: ARRRHHHHGGGG!!! I score 3 against Milan and then get dropped for the next game against Calgari. FUCK OFF!!

I had a feeling BAL would be like that first time around. It does its job in that you control one player, but the game doesn't fully understand how well you're doing, so it randomly drops you. It's kind of like the ML thing where someone would score for like 4 games in a row, then still have low morale in the 5th game.

They'll "improve" the feature for 2010 no doubt.

Probably a silly question, because all the games from next gen consoles are getting raped on PS2 and stuff, but... Has anyone played the game on good ol' PS2? If yes, is the game any good, not graphically, because it's not that important for me, but gameplay-wise? Is the Be A Legend mode included?

Thanks in advance for answers, fellow PES maniacs.

It doesn't matter, I got it sorted. My young player named Seb started off by signing for Wigan. I replaced Heskey who was playing crap most games. I got a good run but performances which averaged out left me back on the bench. I still appear every game and get the odd start. I had the chance to sign for Newcastle amongst other clubs but I stayed with Wigan for another year at least, or until January.

He is a midfielder, I try to model him on Barry. My first goal in the Premier League was a really scrappy one at the Emirates. Ball drops at the front post and I knock it in. Second goal came in the League Cup against City knocking them out.

Edited by Ringys LAAAAAAAAAAAAD

I posted this over at PESG too, but seeing as the average age there is about 14, I figured I might get a better response here;

Going back a month or two ago, I was REALLY looking forward to PES 2009. Everything that was written/said about the game made it sound like it was going to be the game that "2008 should've been".

Then the demo's of PES and FIFA came along.

After playing both, I was still convinced that PES was better than FIFA. I was impressed by FIFA's new collision system, but the demo still felt like I was playing 2008 with this new feature implemented, and the increase of speed needed wasn't that evident.

I played a handful of games on the PES demo, and gave it, on the whole, good feedback. I'd link the post if I could find it, but never mind.

My mate, a fan of PES since the first release, also played the FIFA demo, and unlike me was really impressed by it. As said, I did find it decent, but it still felt like FIFA 08.5, rather than a full upgrade.

As the release of FIFA approached, he convinced me to buy the game. For me, PES being released weeks after FIFA is a pain in the arse, because however much I disliked the previous version, I'm always somehow persuaded into buying it after all the hype surrounding it.

After playing FIFA 09 for the first time, I quickly noticed that this wasn't the demo I was playing, as far as gameplay and the general feel of the game went. This was streets ahead of the demo. I will stress that to those of you who played the FIFA demo and didn't like it all that much. The full game plays much better, I promise.

Seeing as FIFA was released on the 3rd October, and PES on the 17th, it gave me two weeks to see what FIFA was like. Normally each year I'd buy FIFA, play it until PES was released, and then never touch it again. A wasted purchase, in many ways.

Last year, I bought FIFA 08 for the PS2, but shortly after bought a PS3 and picked up PES 2008. After initially being quite impressed by PES, I quickly realised that it wasn't all that different from the game I'd played previously on the PS2, and in many ways worse, much to do with the massive increase in speed, almost making me feel like I was stood in an arcade pressing yellow, red and blue buttons.

So, with the online play of 2008 being completely unplayable, and that's me being kind, I hear FIFA 08's online play is great. Well, if not great, a whole lot better than PES's. I then caught the bug and found myself spending another £30, this time on the PS3 version of FIFA, for online play. That impressed me, but as I mentioned earlier, it was all too slow for my liking.

After playing FIFA 09, and loving it on and offline, despite little annoyances like the "advantage" bug, my PS3 packed in, as many of you know.

While it was being fixed, PES 2009 was released. Naturally, I picked it up, seeing as the PS3 version cost me just over £24 in ASDA. But when I got my PS3 back on the 24th October, especially after reading reviews here and elsewhere on PES 2009, I had no motivation to turn my PS3 on and slide in PES 2009. Instead, I couldn't wait to play FIFA 09 online again.

Up to now, I've got PES and Von's awesome looking Option File installed on my PS3. But I've yet to play PES 2009. I've had it for over two weeks, and the opportunity to play it for about 10 days, but I STILL haven't played it. Instead, I find myself playing FIFA 09, and really enjoying it.

What I need is some convincing. PES 2009 online, apparently, still plays like its predecessor. Shit.

So it it all comes down to the offline play. What makes the PES 2009 offline play so good that I should want to go and play it, when I'm already having amazing fun with FIFA 09 and their brilliant (I realise it's over-implemented in places, but it's still brilliant) collision system.

A big problem with PES's gameplay this year is the referee. I've heard that once again, we're treated to Steve Bennett refereeing in each and every game, giving cards out for the fun of it when slide tackles are slightly mis-timed, and sometimes even well-timed. FIFA's refereeing though, as far as fouls go, is for once, almost spot on. You even get away with slide challenges sometimes that should result in a card, but are only blown up for a foul. Hence why I said "almost".

Now that I'm done writing all of this, I just need someone to convince me why I should go back to playing PES. Because at the moment, in the state it's seemingly in now, I have no real desire to do so.