The 2008 Ryder Cup Thread

Magus978

Didn't see a thread, so I figure I'd make one since it's a relatively big event in the sports world.

ryder-cup.gif

After Friday's play, the USA have roared to a 5.5 to 2.5 lead.

Friday Foursomes (Morning Session)

Padraig Harrington & Robert Karlsson v. Phil Mickelson & Anthony Kim

Result: Match Halved (half a point for both sides)

Henrik Stenson & Paul Casey v. Justin Leonard & Hunter Mahan

Result: USA Wins, 3 & 2 (Match was won on the 16th hole)

Justin Rose & Ian Poulter v. Stewart Cink & Chad Campbell

Result: USA Wins, 1 up

Lee Westwood & Sergio Garcia v. Kenny Perry & Jim Furyk

Result: Match Halved

Friday Fourball (Afternoon Session)

Padraig Harrington & Graeme McDowell v. Phil Mickelson & Anthony Kim

Result: USA Wins, 2 up

Justin Rose & Ian Poulter v. Steve Stricker & Ben Curtis

Result: Europe Wins, 4 & 2

Sergio Garcia & Miguel Angel Jimenez v. Justin Leonard & Hunter Mahan

Result: USA Wins, 4 & 3

Lee Westwood & Soren Hansen v. J.B. Holmes & Boo Weekley

Result: Match Halved

End of Day 1 Scoreboard

USA - 5.5

Europe - 2.5

(USA need 14.5 points to win the Ryder Cup, Europe needs 14 points to retain)

Discussions? Mockings because someone actually watches this? :P

Edited by Magus978

I watched a good couple hours of it today. I really don't have much to add other than the fact that I am excited that the U.S. has a pretty big lead, albeit after only one day. Plus, I'm really excited to watch Anthony Kim develop over the next few years and see what kind of golfer he becomes.

Anyone watching live? The US are very much in control and barring all of their players self-imploding a la Sergio Garcia it looks like the cup is heading to them.

EDIT: Although if the current All Squares swing to Europe and Harrington can pull back to get a half point then it would go to Europe. Still, I expect the US to get the 14.5 they need.

EDIT AGAIN: Holmes just went up against Hansen.

EDIT x3: Although McDowell just went up against Cink. If all current leaders win, then it'll be 15.5 to 12.5 for the US.

EDIT NUMERO 4: Clearly just me here, but Hansen just pulled it back to all square and McDowell is now 2 Up. I thought sticking Harrington last was a stupid idea but it might actually come down to him if Hansen and the rest can get the points. Think Wilson and Jimenez are pretty much done for.

EDIT V: So it looks like Hansen is our last hope just now. Although he's made it very tricky for himself at 17. HOLY SHIT!!! He almost got it. Basically if Hansen loses 17 then he loses 2 & 1 and it's down to Jimenez trying to win both 17 and 18 to get half a point. And even then Harrington needs to win. Here's Holmes for the match against Hansen... and he gets it. 13.5 for the US with Jimenez on the brink of losing the decisive point.

EDIT SIX: And the US win the Ryder Cup after Furyk beats Jimenez 2 & 1. Europe were always playing catch up the entire contest and in the end the US have done just enough. They'll probably get at least another point too, but hopefully Europe can get something out of the remaining matches and make for a close final score.

Edited by Scott McFly