My music reviews.

METALMAN

I joined my university's student radio and as part of this I have to write reviews for singles, albums and gigs. I've really enjoyed it so far. There's been lots of good discussion and plenty of free CD's and gig tickets.

I thought it would be cool if I posted my reviews here too, just to get a bit of discussion going. Obviously the reviews are going to be some way short of professional standard as I'm very inexperienced but I hope to develop over time. They're also highly opinionated, so there is a very good chance you might disagree with me. Feel free to make it known though. I'd appreciate some discussion. :)

Here's the first batch -

Black Kids - Look At Me (When I Rock Wichoo) (single)

The oddly named "Look At Me (When I Rock Wichoo)" is the third single to be released from Black Kids' fantastic debut album "Partie Traumatic". Typically, it follows the usual Black Kids themes of sexual desire and promiscuity. However, I didn't get around to listening to the lyrics until I played this track for the third time because musically this song is just fantastic.

A funky bassline is accompanied by choppy synths and upbeat drums. This song is perfect for the dancefloor. It is perfect, as I have found, for doing housework. It is a track that will fill you with happiness, life, and vitality. The vocals are spot on. The male and female singing binds together well. It has been said before that Reggie Youngblood's voice resembles that of a happy Robert Smith. This song is the epitome of that.

The best thing about "Look At Me..." is that it is not even Black Kids' best song. You should definitely listen to it. But listen to "Hit The Heartbrakes" or "Listen To Your Body Tonight" first. Actually - just buy their album.

Tilly And The Wall - Beat Control/Too Excited (double A-side)

Tilly And The Wall is the sort of band name that whispers "twee indie-pop". Those in this area of music are far too easy-going to scream of course.

First song "Beat Control" more than proves this theory. It is full of blips and blops that wouldn't be out of place on a Postal Service song, and the laidback groove calls Of Montreal to mind. It is also a very good song. It is catchy and sugar coated from beginning to end. It is not to hard to imagine this song becoming very popular. It deserves to be.

Unfortunately, next song "Too Excited" is a very different state of affairs. It utilises tapdancing as an "alternative" method of percussion. Seemed like a good idea at the idea of the time perhaps, but it contributes nothing to the song but an annoyance. Not as if that is in short supply.

This is a song where lovely Tilly and her Wall have gone all angry on us. Mocking. Swearing. In "Too Excited" Tilly and the Wall do not do what it says on the tin. Of course this would be all very well if only this was a good song. If only. The charm and catchiness - the winning ingredients of "Beat Control", have vanished, only to be replaced with a lumbering hulk of a song that is shouty but lacking in substance.

My advice to you is treat this double A-side as you would treat a single. "Beat Control" is your A-side. Listen to it. Love it.

"Too Excited" is your B-side. Act as if it doesn't exist.

Billy Talent (with Anti-Flag) - Turn Your Back (single)

After two highly excellent albums, Billy Talent do not herald their upcoming third album with the most encouraging of signs. "Turn Your Back" was recorded in concord with Anti-Flag, a band that are given to resorting to hollow, formulaic political lyrics coupled with mediocre melodies. A worrying sign.

However, they have combined to make a very enjoyable song. This is classic Billy Talent. "Turn Your Back" is shouty, catchy and is sure to keep old fans happy and win over new fans. It is equipped with yet another heavyweight Billy Talent riff that is sure to be recognised instantly whenever it is heard on the radio.

The Canadians' as yet untitled third album(Billy Talent III perhaps?) is scheduled for release in Spring 2009, and the band appear to be in strong form. The song does not quite reach the atmospheric heights of "River Below" and "Devil In A Midnight Mass", yet it is still very enjoyable indeed.

"So Kiss Your Ass Goodbye" yells lead singer Benjamin Kowalewicz. One can only hope he is referring to Anti-Flag.

The Courteeners - That Kiss (single)

was somewhat cautious before I began listening to this single for a number of reasons. Firstly, I haven’t enjoyed any of my previous experiences with the Courteeners. “Cavorting” was dull and uninspiring. “Acrylic” was dull and uninspiring. “Not Nineteen For Ever” was...just awful. Secondly, lead singer Liam Fray does come across as a tad arrogant, to say the least. He is incredibly assured of the lyrical and musical genius of himself and his band. Especially himself.

This of course is sadly out of step with the reality. A reality in which the Courteeners are just yet another band trying in vain to be the Libertines.

The song itself follows an oft-repeated formula with a quiet start and a heavy regional accent. This eventually leads to a “rousing” climax, from which point the song trundles along fairly uneventfully.

The quote on the back of the CD reads: “I know that I shouldn’t... but I enjoyed it”. At first I thought this may be a review, though it transpired that it is actually a lyric regularly repeated throughout the song. This is about as lyrically profound as it gets.

With reference to the song, the quote could be amended to read “I wish I could... but I didn’t enjoy it.” I find this altogether more suitable.

It is by no means a terrible song. It is just something that we’ve heard so many times. It is average, and in some cases that can be worse than terrible.