Amazing "first ever song"

YI

Tongue tied, bleeding from your eyes

Even Christ himself would cringe at the sight of your scars

While you're counting sheep, I'll count my lucky stars

You were the last good thing I ever saw

First song, debut album...absolute fucking CLASSICS...this is inspired after listening to "Goddamnit" by Alkaline Trio yesterday, and remembering just how fucking awesome "Cringe" is, and how it's hands down one of the best tunes in Alk3's entire discography.

Here are some of mine;

"Cringe" by Alkaline Trio ("Goddamnit")

This basically 'sets the scene' for the entire Alk3 sound. Great tune, catchy but brooding as hell. Awesome lyrically. One of my favourite Trio tracks.

"Coming Clean" by The Get Up Kids ("Four Minute Mile")

Get Up Kids were incredibly important to me during my teenage years, and this tune is borderline perfect. I loved early Get Up Kids (and hope with the potential reunion they return to that style, but I doubt it) as it had this weird 'contained crazyness' about it. Like at any minute it could 'go mental' but it never quite got their, so it's sometimes quite 'uncomfortable' to listen to, like some of the "Deja Etendu" era Brand New stuff. Cracking tune.

"Everything Went Numb" by Streetlight Manifesto ("Everything Goes Numb")

Streetlight are lucky, basically every ska band has an album I absolutely despise, where they all tried to buy into the early 2000's pop sound, as it was popular. Streetlight don't have that. Yes over time their arrangements have gotten so much better, but this tune is just catchy as fuck and amazing, still some really catchy instrumentation too. SKI MASK! CHECK! SAWED OFF! CHECK! GUILTY CONSCIENCE! FEAR OF DEATH! CHECK! CHECK! CHECK!

"Riot Radio" by The Dead 60's ("Dead 60's")

I fucking loved The Dead 60's. Their second album was pretty fucking wank, when they decided to become a bog standard, lets try and sound like The Pigeon Detectives and shit band. But man, this album is fucking brilliant. Brilliant tune...not quite as good as THE RETURN...OF THE GHOST FACED...KILLLLEEEEEEEER!

"Boomboxes And Dictionaries" by The Gaslight Anthem ("Sink Or Swim")

The little guitar riff at the start, the amazing chorus...and then there's the "WHOOAAAA!" bits towards the end...brilliant.

I didn't want to do too many to begin with, so, what's your favourite first album, first tracks?

This isn't even a competition for me to choose, pure and simple "Cochise" by Audioslave, it's got the perfect build, the perfect snap into the main song, the perfect energy, the perfect instrumentals and vocals, everything is just pitch perfect for an opening song.

I was so thinking "Cochise" as soon as the topic was up. It's probably my favorite Audioslave track because it mixed the elements of Rage with the talent of Cornell so well without it seeming like Cornell's backing band unlike with some of the stuff on the three albums.

I'll go hip-hop with this and say that (I'm completely forgetting the intros because they're kind of silly), the first actual song on Kanye West's College Dropout ("We Don't Care") is so wildly different from anything in hip-hop from that time period, and the song has such honesty and "this is really how it is" themes about it that you can already tell how West is wildly different from any of his mainstream counterparts.

Same with Lupe Fiasco's "Real", which just examines Lupe's psyche and the fact that he's hardly a G but that he's finding his place in the world. Plus, the beat to it is pretty kicking.

I second (or third) "Cochise", it's one of those songs that are a perfect way to introduce any album.

In a similar vein, "Fly From The Inside" by Shinedown off Leave A Whisper, it's got a good built up for the rest of the song.

And again, was GNR's "Welcome to the Jungle" first off Appetite For Destruction? If so, that.

"This Is Shangrila" by Mother Love Bone off their only album Apple.

Los Campesinos! - Death To Los Campesinos! (Hold On Now, Youngster)

Machine Head - Davidian (Burn My Eyes)

Two off the top of my head. Two which could hardly be more different, the latter is about the only metal I can still listen to and enjoy, yet about a year ago, it was all I really listened to.