Suggest Some Bands

JairusCain

So, I've been trying to expand my vocal (screaming) abilities by listening to some stuff I normally wouldn't listen to. I'm used to bands like Killswitch Engage, Five Finger Death Punch, Mudvayne, etc., but I have been listening to a lot of UnderOATH, The Devil Wears Prada and Drop Dead, Gorgeous lately.

I don't know how many of you EWBers out there listen to those last two bands, but if there are any of you, can anyone suggest some more bands in the same "genre" as TDWP and DDG for me to listen to? Many thanks.

If you're serious about expanding your vocal abilities, you should really go see a vocal coach and take lessons.

No matter what kind of style they're teaching you, it will help enormously with your ability to scream properly, which... if you have no training at all, screaming can be extremely dangerous. You can completely destroy your vocal chords if you do it unchecked.

As far as suggestions go... I've only heard Underoath, from what you listed of stuff you've recently checked out... so I'm not entirely sure what you're looking for... but stuff different from what you listed as your usual suspects...

Abigail Williams

Gorerotted

Atreyu

Children of Bodom

Dissection

mid-career AFI

all different styles for the screaming technique... but if you're serious about doing more screaming than just in your bedroom while rocking out to music, then you really should go take lessons and ask a lot of questions that are specific to what you want to do with your voice.

If you're serious about expanding your vocal abilities, you should really go see a vocal coach and take lessons.

No matter what kind of style they're teaching you, it will help enormously with your ability to scream properly, which... if you have no training at all, screaming can be extremely dangerous. You can completely destroy your vocal chords if you do it unchecked.

As far as suggestions go... I've only heard Underoath, from what you listed of stuff you've recently checked out... so I'm not entirely sure what you're looking for... but stuff different from what you listed as your usual suspects...

Abigail Williams

Gorerotted

Atreyu

Children of Bodom

Dissection

mid-career AFI

all different styles for the screaming technique... but if you're serious about doing more screaming than just in your bedroom while rocking out to music, then you really should go take lessons and ask a lot of questions that are specific to what you want to do with your voice.

Thanks. Although I don't just "scream in my bedroom while rocking out" lol. I've been in a couple of bands before and have coaching on proper screaming techniques. I am simply trying to check out some different styles of screaming in an effort to expand my arsenal for the new band I'm working with. But thank you for the suggestions.

Have to agree with Gabriel, as if you are able to get some classically trained vocal work, you will be able to last longer than just trying to do things on your own. It may be hard to find a teacher who will do lessons while knowing you are a screamer, and if you can't then just take some classical voice training as it really helps a lot.

I know because I've been taking voice lessons for almost 7 years now, and I didn't start screaming until 2 years ago, last year going full time as a vocalist for a band. Still I was able to produce a great sound, and I never wore my voice out or had problems with it like other singers who have been screaming for less time or for a shorter set than I do. I borrowed "The Zen of Screaming" from a friend, and besides one or two techniques on there, I knew most of it from things I had worked on in my voice lessons.

As far as suggestions, I really don't have much to offer, but if you are serious about making a career out of your voice or want it to last a long time, then do take up voice lessons, it really will help in the long run.

EDIT: I see now that you've had some techniques and stuff, so no worries there. Still, I'll leave my post as is in case anyone else is interested.

Edited by Eddie Ruckus

I wasn't trying to be a cunt about it. I rock out in my bedroom... I rock out to Rock Band... I rock out sometimes when there's no other sound to be heard for miles around... but I haven't had many chances myself to rock out properly. A lot of people are Closet Rockers, because they don't have the opportunities, or maybe they're just too embarrassed.

Anyways... the list I gave covers a fairly wide spectrum in the art of screaming, as again, I wasn't sure exactly what you were going for.

I know you weren't being a douche about it or anything, just wanted to specify why I was looking into this stuff.

Well to be more specific, TDWP and DDG are "screamo" sort of. Rather hardcore screamo shit. Very abstract music in my opinion. They are both on myspace if you'd like to listen for a better idea.

I know you weren't being a douche about it or anything, just wanted to specify why I was looking into this stuff.

Well to be more specific, TDWP and DDG are "screamo" sort of. Rather hardcore screamo shit. Very abstract music in my opinion. They are both on myspace if you'd like to listen for a better idea.

....................listen to the first two bands (in particular, and the last Hella album) I have suggested...yeah...you'll soon understand.

Fear Before (The March Of Flames)

Circle Takes The Square

Raised Fist

Hot Cross

Saetia

The Killing Tree

Joshua Fit For Battle

Hella (recent)

I Am Ghost

Poison The Well

Converge

Paint It Black

Modern Life Is War

...not all the same shit...but fucking good bands. All (besides I Am Ghost) feature a lot of screaming.

Edited by YI

Somebody else knows of Saetia and Hot Cross? Sweet Jesus.

And I wouldn't classify Saetia or Hot Cross or any of those band listed as anything like screamo, or at least what is screamo now. It's post-hardcore or grindcore depending on the band, to me at least.

Anyway, I won't rename those bands because they're good starting points, but...

Kite Flying Society: particularly Art of Conversation (just a good song, really), This Picture Was My Heart (pure fucking chaos), A Twisted Path (very much like Circle Catches the Square), We Dance at Night (the most 'understandable' song, I guess, it's the easiest to make out and 'THISSSSSSS COLDDDDDDDD BLACK STAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYY NIGGGGGHTTTTTTTTTTT' is cool), and Rocky IV (amazing song, great build-up and great intertwining of two very distinct sounds, the screaming is superb)

Usurp Synapse: I can't reccomend specific songs, but they're just chaotic as shit. They've got a very gutteral screaming style.

Shikari (Japanese band): Same as Usurp, Robot Wars is great. Fucking chaaaaaaaotic. I have no clue what is going on, but the screaming style is fucked.

Pg. 99/pageninetynine: The Lonely Waltz of Leonard Cohen is superb, and haunting. Very unique style of singing, too. There's no real screaming in this song, but it needs to be listened to. Hollowed Out Chest of a Dead Horse is a good example of their screaming style. It's incredibly overbearing and chaotic. We Left as Skeletons is a perfect example of how overbearing and insane their music and screaming can be. Their loudest and most intense song probably.

Fuck it, I have to state them twice, Pg. 99

You and I: Can't recommend any specific songs, but they're very guttural.

Amanda Woodward (French band): Again, can't recommend specific songs and they're very technically sound as far as musicians. Their screamer is more 'mainstream' sounding if that makes sense.

City of Caterpillar: I've only heard one song, so I can't explain them really, but they're great. They're known for longer songs.

Orchid: Fucking chaaaaaaaaaaooosssssss. Most of their songs blend into one another, so you'd have to listen to a whole album. The screaming style is also very overbearing and just insane. New Ideas in Mathematics would be my one song to recommend.

Raein: Only heard a few songs, but you should give 'em a listen anyway. Tigersuit is a rad song.

Yage: Can't explain them since I don't know much, they're a bit softer than other songs.

The Spirit of Versailles: Very... growly. I haven't listened to much of them, and their lyrics aren't the greatest, but they're something else to listen to.

Alexisonfire: ONLY their first album in my opinion. This is the album where you get the full effect and the best chance to hear George scream. He's not as intense as say Pg. 99 or Orchid, but he's still damned good, especially for a mainstream band. I've always loved this album. For specific songs I would say The Kennedy Curse for how gutteral it gets, Adelleda, Pulmonary Archery, and Little Girls Pointing and Laughing, where George is definitely in the foreground. The whole album is good, though. George has got a really interesting way of screaming on this album. I'm pretty sure he shot his voice quite a bit on this album, though. Whether that's because of a lack of training, or how he screamed, I'm not sure. The two kinda go hand-in-hand sometimes, though.

They've already been mention, but I'll mention specific Saetia songs if you're trying to expand your vocals. Ariadne's Thread is fucking chaos, along with Endymion. Very different styles of screaming than the lead screamer (I think Billy's his name) usually has. Postlapsaria is a great song and very different from the previous two songs, good to listen to. Some Natures Catch No Plagues is a very 'stock' Saetia song if that makes sense. It's a good song to start off with. Poet You Never Were is a good example of 'talk-screaming' as I put it. Finally, Sweetness and the Light is just a good fucking song. Venus and Bacchus is a good example of talking coupled with screaming. The screaming in this song is absolutely fucking insane. I dare you to try and reach something like that. Fuck it, listen to the whole album. Saetia is on a whole different existence as far as these bands go. Their screaming is a lot different, and in my opinion a lot better.

I will disagree on Hot Cross, though. I don't particularly think they're that great if you're trying to expand your screaming, because other bands will give you more. They're a fucking awesome band, but they're not that similar to these kind of bands.

I'll ask my friend when I see him online next for some more foreign bands.

Saetia is probably the best you're going to get, in my opinion.

Edited by Will.