The Office Season 5 Thread

Stevie B

I'm finding the show a little harder to stomach now that we don't have one character who isn't deeply, deeply flawed

Oscar.

I actually love what they've done with Jim and Pam this season. I never related to them deeply; Jim's a funny guy but I always have this distinct impression that if I knew him in real life I'd find him to be a smug bastard. Jim being put in a position where he can't sit back and be the sarcastic guy anymore and has to make decisions and finds he isn't very good at it is great because it gives him direction, which he was desperately lacking in seasons four and five up until the Idris Elba plot popped up. And in the same way, Pam's overreaction to Michael dating her mom was the first interesting thing she's done all season. I'm honestly genuinely uninterested in still having either be normal audience surrogate characters now that The Office is in its sixth season, there's nothing left you can do with the Jim and/or Pam of seasons one through three so taking them out of their comfort zones is the best thing the series can do right now.

In any case, this week's episode was the best episode of the season thusfar. There were just a million different small bits from it that I can rewatch and crack up at (Toby picking the worst possible time to walk in on Jim and Michael, Creed being moved to tears by opera whilst Andy indignantly calls it a horrible aria, Jim's sudden f-bomb when he realizes that Michael isn't faking having slept with Pam's mom and his hopelessly inept attempts at diffusing the situation in the meeting, Erin's weird perky "Oops! Uh-oh!" statements as she was slooowly but surely giving Pam her candy back, Stanley's facial expressions during the entire meeting scene).

• 2 weeks later...

Michael yelling at Jim to shut up was one of the best bits of acting Steve Carrell's ever done on the show, the dynamic between Jim and Michael is really perfect. That plus Oscar's accent attempt and Mexican Standoff Pam made the episode a winner. Parks and Recreation is the superior Greg Daniels show at this point, though.

I also failed to mention how great the Tube City gag was. I want an animated gif of the hamster peeking out of the end of one of the tubes and the pan over to the look on Jim's face.

Parks and Recreation is the superior Greg Daniels show at this point, though.

I've been hearing that alot and just can't see how people think it. The Office does the awkward humor but from what I watched Parks and Recreation just amps it up and makes it uncomfortable for me to watch. It just may be me though.

Yeah, to be honest I have no clue where you're coming from there. In the first season possibly, but in the second season Parks has generally steered away from that and has much more of an optimistic tinge to it than The Office. The stuff with Michael breaking up with Pam's mom from a couple weeks back trumps absolutely anything Parks has done all season in terms of awkwardness.

• 2 weeks later...