Game Damage

Benji

Can't we just agree that video game shows suck in general? It's always a bunch of douchebag guys trying WAY too hard to be funny and/or the obligatory semi-attractive chick that exists for the soul purpose of giving guys with absolutely no social skills when talking to women something to spank it to because they think she's a nerd just like them.

It sounds like you're insulting X-Play. :( Sessler's awesome. :(

I watched it but wasn't terribly impressed.

Yahtzee looked absolutely bored for the part I watched and it was awkward at bits because you realise he really is just an ugly old git who has all the comic delivery of a sponge.

Sadly, I think that is his attempt at translating the Yahtzee character to TV. It didn't really work, because we are staring at him for 30 minutes. Yahtzee is a character that relies on the brevity of his wit.

Maybe it would be better with a set, and not using all 3 presenters in every segment. Their banter / interactions aren't nearly as funny as they think they are. For 3 friends that live together, their chemistry is very poor. Perhaps due to nerves - but going on the pilot, they aren't good enough in that format.

They reference Top Gear as a format / style they want to replicate, but Top Gear is not 3 guys sitting together on a squashed couch for the duration of the show. They allow each presenter the space to develop their own distinct character and quirks, which can be exploited for future jokes when the trio meets up during the studio links (For example, Clarkson swooning over Will Young).

Top Gear wouldn't work so well if they tried to cram all three presenters into every single segment. I would hazard a guess that the Game Damage presenters aren't professional enough to realise the importance of turning down screen time for the greater good of the show.

Can't we just agree that video game shows suck in general? It's always a bunch of douchebag guys trying WAY too hard to be funny and/or the obligatory semi-attractive chick that exists for the soul purpose of giving guys with absolutely no social skills when talking to women something to spank it to because they think she's a nerd just like them.

It sounds like you're insulting X-Play. :( Sessler's awesome. :(

I can tolerate X-Play. And Sessler does seem like a pretty cool guy, I was pretty much referring to everything else on G4.

Edited by Zero

Personally, my biggest gripes with the show was that while it could have been a lot better than it was, it pretty much just fell flat on its face at almost every opportunity. The sketches could have worked well, but repeating them in the same order every single fucking time got old even in a half an hour. As said, the lounging-on-a-couch thing really didn't work, plus I thought that the contrast between those pieces and the adventure game rant Yathzee did was about light years. All in all, it has potential, but I think they seriously would need to re-think the pacing of the show as well as the styles of segments they wish to show.

And for the love of fucking christ Yathzee, BREAK EYE CONTACT WITH THE CAMERA FOR A GODDAMN SECOND WILL YOU, IT FUCKING CREEPS ME OUT.