Where are your non-big name childhood heroes now?

Here's an example.

Andy_Turner_in_2006.jpg

For one season Andy Turner was my hero. He signed for Tottenham as a trainee and came on to make his first appearance for Spurs as a substitute against Everton when he came on as substitute to score the winning goal and was, at that time, the youngest Premiership goalscorer aged 17 and 166 days.

He played on 21 times for Spurs on the left wing scoring 4 goals. He also won two caps for Ireland under 21s.

Turner spent five years at Spurs, mostly out on loan and then spent two years at Portsmouth, playing 40 games.

Since then, aside from countless loan moves, he went to Palace, Rotherham, Yeovil, Tamworth, Northampton, Northwich Victoria, Moor Green and now Chasetown where he's the player coach at the age of 32. His career never went anywhere and Tottenham are still the team he scored most goals for and aside from the 40 games for Portsmouth and 36 games for Rotherham, his 21 games for Spurs are the third most he's played for one club.

Basically he's a nobody in football terms.

Edited by ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

Well, Lee Chapman is married to Leslie Ash and beats her on a regular basis, or at least used to >_>

But going away from football, Magnus Samuelsson used to be my favourite World's Strongest Man competitor, having won it in 1996. He is now 38, and seemingly has been involved in his final WSM this year, finishing third in his heat, and not qualifying for the final.

I love me a bit of WSM.

Shahid Afridi(Pakistan Cricket Player)was every Asian kid's idol and on billboards and stuff everywhere. He never did mature and become the world class player everyone wanted him to be but he's still good :D .

Um then when I was like six I think, I saw Chilavert the Paraguay goalkeeper hit the bar with a free kick in the World Cup which I thought was absolutely insane, he went on to have a good career and retired. Also Papa Bouba Diop for scoring against France in the 2002 World Cup...that made me mark the fuck out as a 10 year old...he went on to score a blinder against United <_<

Then come some heroes based purely on Championship Manager love...Cherno Samba, Benjamin Collet, Daniel Nardiello who all were amazing on the game but now the first one plays in the Finnish second division, the other retired and Nardiello plays in the lower leagues.

If you think Shahid Afridi is a good player :shifty:

Ahn Jung-Hwan - Saw him the WC2002 and became a fan. Currently plays as attacking midfielder with K-League's Busan I'Park. I still remember him getting his contract terminated after he scored the goal for Italy. I even renamed one of my pokemon figures after him.

I liked Gary Holt when he was at Kilmarnock. He is now at Wycombe via Norwich, Scottish national team and Nottingham Forest.

Paul Wright scored our winning goal in the cup final. After Kilmarnock he played for Falkirk and Morton then retired. So he pretty much faded away into nothingness.