EVE Online

DoubleX

I've had on and off times with EVE Online. I have never really gotten sucked into it, like I have done with a few other games like EVE. It is fun to play but the real fun lies in all the player-owned and player-run alliances and storylines which I never really got into and thus did not enjoy the full game. However, it is fucking terrible work getting into all the player-run stuff which sort of ruins the game experience.

It's the most boring game I've ever played. It looks pretty (for a few minutes), but that's about it. The setting is pretty cool, and I like some of the ideas in the game, but it's just so boring to actually play that I couldn't even last the trial period before giving up. Combat in EVE is just a smidgen above watching paint dry in the fun stakes, seriously. You work out the best range to be at for your weapons, you orbit the target at said range (which involves right clicking, left clicking and entering the number (or left clicking again). Then you click one or two more buttons to turn your weapons on. Then you... wait. Until either their ship blows up, or you need to run away. That's not fun.

Combat with human players comes down to how long you've been playing. That's pretty much it - who's bought the best stuff, and who has the right skills to use it. And when you die, you obviously lose your ship, so you have to start off with a crappy one again, and have even less chance the next time you meet someone hostile. And since your skills train in realtime, and you can only have one active character at a time, it takes YEARS to get to the stage where you're good enough to actually compete with the better corporations and players. REAL TIME YEARS.

You can train one skill at a time, and once you get past the first few ranks of a skill, we're talking WEEKS before it finishes training.

It's ridiculously time-intensive. People say WoW takes too much time to play competitively, they've never even contemplated playing EVE. At least with WoW the road to end-game is fun and... not easy, but... what am I trying to say? You can compete with players of the same level, you can tell who they ARE and have fun. In EVE, you have no fucking idea how good someone is when you meet them. And by good, I mean game-time old. Because that's all it comes down to, as I've said.

EVE isn't fun. In EVE, you have a end-game community who all know each other and are having a whale of a time, and you have a starter area of people playing the trial, with a few rich bastards who keep forgetting they have a subscription and pop on every few weeks to train a new skill and gank some newbies for fun and profit. There is no in-between.

Edited by Farmer Reil