Spotify

Farmer Reil

Anyone here use Spotify? Anyone remember Pandora (or whatever 'twas called?), the website where you could listen to music for free. Well, although entirely unrelated (AFAIK), Spotify does a very similar thing in application form. You download a client (TINY download), and sign up to the site, and you can listen to as much music as you want for free-ish. If you don't pay, there are adverts, but they're only 5-second spots every five or so tracks, it's not really noticeable after a while.

You can either pick your own tracks from a massive library, or listen to themed radio channels; you pick the genres, and it plays a random selection from them. It's pretty good, but my only criticism is that 'Heavy Metal' covers such a massively broad scope that it's usually better to just make your own really long playlist.

Not entirely sure how they manage to make any money out of this. The only adverts I've heard so far have been for the Energy Saving Trust... :P

Ah, this is good, I heard about it ages ago but with it being invite-only I couldn't be arsed pursuing it. Can you actually download the music or is it just listening to it? I'm guessing the latter but I'll be optimistic and ask.

It's still invite only outside the UK (which is funny, as it's a Swedish company). But yeah, great for finding bands you never knew about. For example, Pyramaze, who further investigation tells me I damn well should've heard about by now, but hey...

'Heavy Metal' is so damn vague though. One minute it's Machine Head and Lamb of God, the next it's Hawkwind and Saxon, the next it's Incubus. :P

It's still invite only outside the UK (which is funny, as it's a Swedish company). But yeah, great for finding bands you never knew about. For example, Pyramaze, who further investigation tells me I damn well should've heard about by now, but hey...

'Heavy Metal' is so damn vague though. One minute it's Machine Head and Lamb of God, the next it's Hawkwind and Saxon, the next it's Incubus. :P

On a similar note, Elton John is now hard rock whilst so are Slipknot... So pretty much anything can fit into hard rock then.