Favorite Stand-Up Comedians

Foppa

I'm just curious to see who everyone's favorite comedians are. Maybe I can find some in here that I've never heard of and check them out. I don't know if there's already a thread like this so if there is, sorry, but I don't feel like searching the entire forum for it.

Here are some of my favorites.

1. Bill Hicks

- Bill Hicks never became very popular because of his early death, which really sucks, but to me he was the greatest stand-up comedian of all time. His jokes were piercing at times, and he came off with so much emotion, and gave us such strong messages behind his jokes. It's almost like his shows were way more than just stand-up comedy, it's like he was preaching the truth to us more than anything.

2. George Carlin

- Just soooooooo much great material form this guy, I can't even begin to talk about it. Hicks is a personal fav of mine, but I could easily see why people would call Carlin the best. There's no denying this guy was a very intelligent man, and was fucking hilarious as well.

3. Sam Kinison

- Sam had a lot of sex and religous based material, which may have been a bit too harsh for an early time, but man was he fucking hilarious. Another comedian who never really got the respect he deserved.

4. Brian Regan

- He had such a simple forumla to his jokes, his jokes weren't ever dirty, and he was one of the many observational comedians in that era, but he was so much betetr than anyone else at it IMO. He would just take a subject everyone knows so much about, and twist it in ways we could never think of in that way.

5. Louie CK

- Probably one of the most underrated comedians today. Sucks that his HBO show got cancelled.

6. Mitch Hedberg

- Very unique one liners, and he really made you think with his jokes. Died too young as well.

7. Dave Chappelle

- At first glance his jokes seemed harmless and like your average race jokes, but they actually had a lot of meaning under them. Fucking hilarious as well of course.

8. Richard Pryor

- What can I really say, he was a legend.

9. Rodney Dangerfield

- Just fires away with such great quick jokes, you really have to pay attention when watching him. Just so funny.

And some other greats are Eddie Izzard, Joe Rogan, Andrew Dice Clay, Lenny Bruce, Stephen Wright, Dana Carvery, Daniel Tosh, Demitri Martin, Bill Bailey, Mitch Fatal, and I can go on and on.

Anyway, post some of your favorites.

1. Demetri Martin - I'm in love with Important Things and have the poster from his CD up on my wall
  2. Mitch Hedberg - I quote him more than anyone I know
  3. Daniel Tosh - Quote him almost as much as Mitch
  4. Lewis Black
  5. Kevin Hart - mainly due to his most recent standup, which was ACE
  6. Bill Hicks
  7. George Carlin
  8. Brian Regan

1. Chris Rock

Ah, c'mon man -- this guy is the best at what he does. And the fact that he hits home on most of his points is real awesome. Funny, funny guy.

2. Eddie Murphy

I was watching his SNL work and damn, he has really lost it over the years -- but nonetheless he was funny

3. Frankie Boyle

We all know what he does. 'Nuff said

That's all I can think of, sadly

Billy Connolly - The man is still golden, his last DVD "Was it something I said" made me laugh so hard!

Eddie Izaard - A very intelegent comic, I loved his stuff about the Catholic church and Henry VIII :D

Michael McIntyre - I just love the middle class humour

Frankie Boyle - Wrong, Plain Wrong, but so very funny.

1. Katt Williams

2. Dave Chappelle

3. Bill Cosby

4. Mitch Hedberg

5. Demetri Martin

That's all I could think of, don't really watch much stand up comedy and when I do, I don't remember the comedian's name.

Edited by Lj.

In no real order:

Bill Cosby

Lewis Black

Bill Maher

Christopher Titus

Richard Pryor

George Carlin

Ellen Degeneres

Jon Stewart

Negative points go out to:

Carlos Mencia- mindless and not funny, some of his "rants" are basically hate speech. Apparently he steals jokes, too. Too bad he can't steal timing or a brain.

Dane Cook- he's not terrible, but I really hate his fans.

Larry the Cable Guy- I only find this guy funny when he goes up in front of a New York audience and is met with silence and/or boos. I also hate his gimmick.

Jeff Foxworthy- for making Larry the Cable Guy famous. Plus he's like a lame, Kentucky-fried Jerry Seinfeld.

Edited by the machine

Katt Williams? Number one? srsly?

IMO he's one of the WORST comedians in the world.

Not at all, sheer nonsense. The guy is so fresh and different to the people out there who are doing the same shit every time they go on stage. Pimp Chronicles is a fucking stand up masterpiece and as good as any live comedy show in the past decade IMO. The guy is straight up hilarious.

As someone said, this thread pops up every month or two it seems. Williams is up there for me alongside Chris Tucker, who needs to do more stand up as he's the funniest person of all time :wub:

From my personal favorite to least favorite (top 10 anyways...)

1. Ellen Degeneres

2. Louis-Josée Houde (he's a young comedian from Québec, he also plays the coroner in Bon Cop, Bad Cop for those who've seen it)

3. Joan Rivers

4. Ron White

5. Roseanne

6. Mitch Hedberg

7. George Carlin

8. Brent Butt

9. Yvon Deschamps (he's another one from Québec, I believe he's retired now though)

10. Paula Poundstone