Rollercoaster Tycoon 2

Help me unsuck at this game, EWB. I usually play the smaller parks and go bust pretty quick trying to remember what to do. >_>

Are you playing sandbox stylee or attempting the scenarios? Depending on what kind of scenario it is you'll want to go about it slightly differently.

I prefer the parks where you make money on every ride rather than just entrance fees but either way I'd always do something like:

1. Delete a section of path near the entrance and place an information centre there and pave around it (so guests practically walk straight towards it and almost always buy a map, umbrella, etc). That stops them getting lost and gets you cash.

2. If the park already has a lot of paving, block off the vast majority by deleting parts of the path or putting no entry signs up. You can just extend as your park grows and this stops people wandering around aimlessly miles away from the attractions.

3. Build a lot of small rides, merry-go-round, twister, etc. Use normal funding on your research to get more thrill rides like the vertical launch and the inverted swinging ship. They're more popular than dull rides like the ferris wheel.

4. Dot a couple of shops here and there and first aid huts near the exits of any intense rides.

5. Always keep on top of your handymen and use the zone feature so they're not working on top of each other or wandering around the opposite side of the park.

6. With rides like the go karts that get insanely long queues. Stick an entertainer in the queue and zone them there to keep guests happy.

7. Try not to go overboard and build huge coasters from the get go and get your loan paid off as fast as possible.

8. If you're doing a scenario that requires a certain amount of guests and you're almost out of time, utilize the offers to bring more guests in quickly.

And I'm gonna stop there for now else I could go on talking about this game for hours. I do REALLY want to play it now >_< I have fond memories of winning a few roller coaster design tournaments back in the day.

Really? I usually start off with research funding at the max, without gentle rides. I start off with the lame, gentle rides, and build a very simplistic rollercoaster. And yeah...just go from there, never had a problem with going bankrupt.

I love building one massive, awesome coaster at the back of the park. It forces people to go all the way through your park to ride it and you will usually have a ton of room to do it. Of course, you need to have the cash to do it, but it can be good.

I tend not know what I'm doing wrong with my coasters. >_> I designed one in the Roller Coaster Designer and went to test it andddd. The first cars out of it got.. stuck? I guess? They barely got out of the station before they just got stuck in this one area. I don't know what I did wrong.

Unless it's powered launch or starting from a height then you need to begin with a chain lift. Sounds like you either forgot the chain lift on the first incline or you had a long stretch of flat track out of the station where they would basically just grind to a halt.

I usualy charged no park fee and lured people in with a big coaster. Charged lot´s of monney with that and build the rest of my park of it untill it´s time for a new coaster. If the coaster is good you do not need to care about an entertainer becaus one great ride will get em from bored to happy in a minute.

I guss AJs way is more time efficent. Also take on his tip on asigning areas to the park cleaners, it´s more important than you´ed think.

To bad they went Mega 3D on this game... they should return with a Pixelversion next, or seomthing that runs like Zoo Tycoon 2.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

I suck at custom designing rides, but I'm fine at the making money aspect of the game.

On another note, what do you guys do? Charge people just to get into the park (and for concessions), or free entry but costly rides? I usually go for the first option.

Damn, reading this thread makes me want to get stuck back into RCT again. I played a lot more of 1 than 2 and I loved the scenarios but I think I loaned that to someone years ago and never got it back. :(

Still, I've got World Of Rollercoaster Tycoon which has 2 and 3 and all the add-ons. Think I'll install 2 again! :w00t:

EDIT: Thinking about it I could probably get some fan-made scenarios for 2 that recreate the one from 1. Maybe someone can help out...

Edited by Scott McFly

Matzat is right about setting paths for the cleaners/janitors. If you don't set paths, they will cover parts of your park that are just empty space that you aren't using yet.

Yes, your park goes down like a getto while the 20 guys you hired end up mowing grass 3 miles of the area you already buid in. In the beginning you sot of wonder why and just hire more and more >_>

Edited by Michael Matzat on a Plane

I suck at custom designing rides, but I'm fine at the making money aspect of the game.

On another note, what do you guys do? Charge people just to get into the park (and for concessions), or free entry but costly rides? I usually go for the first option.

In the first game you have the option as far as I can remember, but in RCT2 it's dependent on which level you play.

I installed RCT2 to the computer at work last night :w00t: For some reason you can charge a hell of a lot more money per ride on the Electric Fields level in comparison to Crazy Castle. £4.00 for the Magic Carpet and Vertical Launch and I was turning a profit after just 4 months.

Built a cheap (but awesome) double loop reverse incline-powered steel coaster. I love these, they take up next to no room, cost nothing, get a lot of guests on and off quickly and make you a fortune. £5.00 a ride at the moment. 8 months in and my loan's paid off and by year 2 I have £5K of my own. Already got the required amount of guests to complete the scenario too.

I like this game too much. :unsure:

In the first game you have the option as far as I can remember, but in RCT2 it's dependent on which level you play.

I installed RCT2 to the computer at work last night :w00t: For some reason you can charge a hell of a lot more money per ride on the Electric Fields level in comparison to Crazy Castle. £4.00 for the Magic Carpet and Vertical Launch and I was turning a profit after just 4 months.

Built a cheap (but awesome) double loop reverse incline-powered steel coaster. I love these, they take up next to no room, cost nothing, get a lot of guests on and off quickly and make you a fortune. £5.00 a ride at the moment. 8 months in and my loan's paid off and by year 2 I have £5K of my own. Already got the required amount of guests to complete the scenario too.

I like this game too much. :unsure:

Oh how i would like to join you... but the game is so badly coded that it dos not run under bookcamp... i still have my original CD even though it´s on the web for free (at least i think it is)