2009 MLB Season

sahyder1

JD Drew is noticeably absent from that list.

2007 ALCS, Game 6. The $70 million grand slam.

That was like the only thing I could think of. And maybe a couple other clutch hits.

Still making way too much though. Boras raped Boston in this one.

Washington probably sees JD Drew and realizes it made a huge mistake in drafting Strasburg. Remember when JD Drew was the second coming of Ted Williams? Phillies fans should cheer him in all actuality, he set in motion their World Series win.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Mr. Potato Head

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rzBMdq2ISQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rzBMdq2ISQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rzBMdq2ISQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I think it just worked out that the moves they made earlier in the season could've worked this year but that they're really building for the new couple of years. The only reason it looked like it could've worked this year is because of how close they were before. Now that they've dropped back a bit, they're unloading some guys that weren't going to be around.

To be honest, if you're the White Sox, I don't know how you don't make these moves. Thome's aging and wasn't going to be with the team after this year anyways and Contreras wasn't very good at all and in the process, they unload some salary and get some young players in return. All the while, you still have Peavy locked in for a few more years to add to Beurhle, Floyd and Danks and then you have Rios to go with guys like Gordon Beckham and they have Tyler Flowers, who's a real good prospect, coming up to get some work now that Thome's gone. Plus, it's a good move on Chicago's part for Thome to let him try and win another ring.

I understand Contreras, since he was doing poorly and fell out of favor.

Just seemed like the AL Central was weak enough and the White Sox were making a run at it for a while. They were only a few games behind the Tigers and might have gotten a good run, catch up and win the division possibly.

But yeah, I just noticed they're now below .500 and the Twins are in front of them.

• 2 weeks later...

How about Roger Clemens' 2007 contract? Pro-rated at $28M for one year or $4.7M a month. He went 6-6 with a 4.15 ERA and cost the Yankees $3.1M-per-win. He must be one of the least cost-effective signings of all time?

Edited by Izzie

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Kingsonnn Dededoo

I don't know what I like better, that JP Ricciardi was fired or that so many ecstatic Canadians have him pushed to the current #8 trending topic on Twitter.

I think the reason he wasn't was that they were waiting for a new President to come in and conduct the search for a GM himself. They don't have that President yet, but with the Cito mutiny it seems like they moved it up either to cover Cito's ass and deflect attention or because there is suspicion that Ricciardi leaked the story to Ken Rosenthal. As for the new GM, Alex Anthopoulos is an in-house guy from Montreal who started in public relations with the Expos when he was just 23, went through Scout School and was hired as a Jays scout in 2003. He's been an assistant to Ricciardi since 2006. It's been said that he's well thought of among big league scouts and agents, and he fits the homegrown billing Beeston's been looking to expand on in the front office. Whether he is more than just a caretaker will depend on the new President. God, this team is such a gigantic clusterfuck.

That game was amazing. One of the most intense games I've watched, and definitely an awesome start to October. Too bad both teams were essentially playing for the right to lose to the Yankees lol.

My predictions.

American League

New York over Minnesota (4 games)

Los Angeles over Boston (4 games)

New York over Los Angeles (7 games)

National League

Philadelphia over Colorado (5 games)

St. Louis over Los Angeles (4 games)

St. Louis over Philadelphia (5 games)

World Series

New York over St. Louis (6 games)

And, yes, I hope I've cursed the Yankees by predicting them to win it all.