Final Fantasy IX Play-Along

Benji

So I still haven't made it very far in this due to work, mafia, and movies, so I'm not even in the meat of evil forest yet.

Fuck Baku. Seriously, fucker won't hand over that Iron Sword or whatever the fuck it is that he has. I want it, he has it, he won't let me take it, and I can only attack him twice or he'll die.

Conclusion, fuck the thieving system in this game.

I'm about midway through disc 3, just clearing up some side quests before I head off to Oeilvert (or whatever it's called).

I'm currently rocking a party of Zidane (lv. 41), Freya (lv. 27), Steiner (lv. 36) and Dagger (lv. 34, although considering the fact she can't actually do anything right now, I'm not too sure why she's in my party). The levels are a bit all over the place, but that always seems to be the case with FFIX due to the fact the majority of disc 1 and 2 are spent with broken parties. I'm levelling up in some places that are a bit above me right now, which is way more fun. I can't just spam attack to beat enemies, I need to actually have a strategy. Zidane has auto-haste and is just attacking at every opportunity, Freya switches between Jump and Reis Wind and Steiner goes from using Darkside a couple turns before switching to Minus Strike and finally Charge!. It's a great technique, and nobody seems to have cracked it yet.

I'm considering jumping on the boat and switching out Dagger for Vivi or Eiko so I can actually have a mage on my team, but I'm not sure who. Freya can just about cover the healing (although Zidane needs to chime in with a Hi-Potion or an Ether every now and then) so I could either play safe and bring in Eiko to take over the white magic side of things or I could play more offensively and bring in Vivi to use Comet, Bio and Break, as well as allowing Steiner to hit the occassional Magic powered sword attack.

Apparently I'm taking things far too slowly with this game, as I've just reached Alexandria last night. I'll be playing more tonight, so expect an update later. Thus far, I've had it pretty easy against most of the bosses (I seem to recall Black Waltz III being a lot tougher.) I've not yet trained at all as I've had no problems with any enemies, but I'll probaly start that up once I get going on a real mission part of the story. Anyone got any suggested levels for this part of the game and things I should really be doing? I've only beaten IX once, and that was when I was something like 12.

Fuck Baku. Seriously, fucker won't hand over that Iron Sword or whatever the fuck it is that he has. I want it, he has it, he won't let me take it, and I can only attack him twice or he'll die.

I got it first try. (H)

And yeah, I've been lazy playing too because of the Wolverine game.

I got distracted by PS3 and arrival of Vagrant Story, I'll be playing more today. Also, you think stealing from Baku is bad - do you not remember Hilgigas?

Oh yes, I remember Hilgigas, but at least Hilgigas is mid way through the story, fucking gigantic, and statistically you have a low chance of stealing from it. Baku is just a fucking asshole at this point. :(

I got distracted by PS3 and arrival of Vagrant Story, I'll be playing more today. Also, you think stealing from Baku is bad - do you not remember Hilgigas?

Oh yes, I remember Hilgigas, but at least Hilgigas is mid way through the story, fucking gigantic, and statistically you have a low chance of stealing from it. Baku is just a fucking asshole at this point. :(

Statistically low? Do you know how many times I've played this game and how many times I've managed to steal that last item? The statistics aren't low, they're subterranean :(

Edited by Benji

BENJI. See here.

Of particular note is the question about a sequel for any of the games in the series, to which Takeshi replies he'd like to see a sequel to FFIX. Yeah, it's not going to happen, but we can dream... right?

BENJI. See here.

Of particular note is the question about a sequel for any of the games in the series, to which Takeshi replies he'd like to see a sequel to FFIX. Yeah, it's not going to happen, but we can dream... right?

I give it a couple of years before PSOne generation are re-released, either with updates or just ports for newer/handheld consoles.