The Coca-Cola Championship

Benji

Well with the imminency of the league coming up this Saturday I felt the need to start a thread, because let's face it this championship is going to beat the Premier League with a shitty stick (that stick being the Coca-Cola Championship). So let's start off with some pre-season predictions, any predictions you want to make.

I feel Leicester will come second, I don't think they'll win the division but I'm not sure who will go above them, I think the Dublin/Conolly partnership will make for some great football but I can't help but feel that once again Adams has over stocked on Experience and Youth and not gone near enough the middle.

Leeds will get into the play-offs, but they'll struggle, they haven't really had enough time to gel as a unit since losing pretty much all their best players. I see Harpal Singh becoming a big player in the team (I think he's still with them).

Those are my two simple predictions off the bat, anyone like to make some more?

Their plays?!

Leicester will win it, experience and youth wins the First Division. Player in the middle should be playing in the premiership if they're any good. The younger players might still play in the premiership, and the experienced players probably have already.

So, Leicester.

Don't write off Ipswich either.

I'm hoping the fact that Sheffield United haven't been tipped to achieve anything is a good omen. It seems when we are under-dogs we do well (2002/03 season for example), yet when we are expected to do well, we under-achieve (2003/04 season for example).

Warnock has always had a 50/50 knack with signing players. For every Steve Kabba, theres been an Ashley Ward. For every Andy Gray, theres been a Andy Parkinson. For Jack Lester and Alan Wright, we've had Mark Rankine and Iffy Onoura.

But, he has brought very very well for this season. I admit to knowing nothing about Andy Liddell and Paul Barnes, but every other signing of his impresses me. Paul Thirlwell is a good midfielder, Leigh Bromby was a highly regarded defender a few years back, Alan Quinn a highly rated midfielder. But the two players i'm most happy to see at the lane are Jon Harley and Barry Hayles. I believe they are real quality signings. Added to the players we have such as Kenny, Kozluk, Morgan, Tonge, Jagielka, Lester, Gray and the hugely experienced McCall and with the awesome Steve Kabba back around Christmas, we have some very good players, and is possibly our strongest team since 02/03.

As for the other contenders, Leicester and Leeds have lost a lot of players, and Leeds in particular have signed plenty of new ones. Whilst both sides have some very talented players, to have the whole side over-hauled (mainly Leeds) means players need to have time to settle in. Plus, there's only one team in Yorkshire.................... :shifty:

But seriously, they may well be contenders.

Ipswich should not be counted out, they could well make it this year, and even after a poor season last time, Forest arent out of it yet, though it depends on how many they can score pre-Harewood (Yes, I know he left middle of last season - is Johnson still there???).

Wolves are another team to mention, but have lost a few players, and I haven't heard of them signing anyone. Sunderland could be there or there about's, but their squad is much changed. Then of course, West Ham have to be mentioned as possible favourites.

Then of course, there's teams like Millwall, Wigan and Reading to mention, and their is sometimes a 'suprise package' meaning this could be one close, tough to call season.

Edited by timmayy

ITV Signs Two Year Championship Deal

ITV Sport is to broadcast its most extensive coverage of the Coca-Cola Football League on a network and regional level following a two-year extension to its contract through to the 2005/06 season.

A weekly 45-minute programme called 'The Championship' will be shown on Sunday mornings across the network on ITV1, featuring extended highlights of two games from the top division, goal action and reports from the other matches as well as the key highlights from League 1 and League 2. The first programme, this weekend at 10.30am, will feature Leicester City and West Ham United.

On a regional level, viewers can see goals and key action in Saturday tea-time news bulletins and any midweek action will be featured in regional news throughout the week.

In addition, there will also be a brand new regular Thursday night regional programme taking in all the highlights from the previous weekend and midweek games of their local teams, as well as the latest news from the clubs and a look ahead to the weekend fixtures.

The Football League's cup competition - The Carling Cup - will have network highlights from round three through to the final as well as extensive regional coverage throughout the course of the competition.

'The Championship' will be presented by Matt Smith direct from the main highlights game of the day and analysis will come from Andy Townsend, Ally McCoist and Robbie Earle. Match commentary will be provided by Clive Tyldesley, Peter Drury and Jon Champion.

An ITV spokesperson said: "We hope that fans of The Championship and League's 1 and 2 will be well catered for in the coming season with an extensive level of terrestrial coverage across both the ITV network and throughout the local regions."

I think this is brillant news, the Championship is going to be the most competitive and entertaining league this season. The Premiership is going to be good but I get the feeling I already know who is going to win it and who is going to go down - which I did not have last year. It's nice that finally Division 1 (which has always been my favourate league for the competitiveness) is getting this chance to shine.

What do you think?

Edited by TAFKA Castroneves

Well I am having a Championship Frenzy now thanks to this thread so it's time guys to make some predictions for tommorrow's games:

Burnley vs. Sheffield United

Coventry City vs. Sunderland (5:35)

Crewe Alexandra vs. Cardiff City

Ipswich Town vs. Gillingham

Leeds United vs. Derby County (12:15)

Leicester City vs. West Ham United

Plymouth Argyle vs. Millwall

Preston North End vs. Watford

Queens Park Rangers vs. Rotherham

Reading vs. Brighton

Wigan Athletic vs. Nottingham Forest

My predictions:

Burnley 1 vs. 2 Sheffield United

Coventry City 2 vs. 2 Sunderland (5:35)

Crewe Alexandra 0 vs. 0 Cardiff City

Ipswich Town 1 vs. 0 Gillingham

Leeds United 2 vs. 0 Derby County (12:15)

Leicester City 3 vs. 1 West Ham United

Plymouth Argyle 1 vs. 1 Millwall

Preston North End 0 vs. 0 Watford

Queens Park Rangers 0 vs. 2 Rotherham

Reading 4 vs. 1 Brighton

Wigan Athletic 0 vs. 2 Nottingham Forest

Burnley 0-2 Sheffield United

Coventry City 2-2 Sunderland (5:35)

Crewe Alexandra 1-0 Cardiff City

Ipswich Town 3-1 Gillingham

Leeds United 2-1 Derby County (12:15)

Leicester City 3-2 West Ham United

Plymouth Argyle 1-1 Millwall

Preston North End 0-0 Watford

Queens Park Rangers 2-2 Rotherham

Reading 3-0 Brighton

Wigan Athletic 1-2 Nottingham Forest

Burnley 1-2 Sheffield United

Coventry City 1-2 Sunderland (5:35)

Crewe Alexandra 0-2 Cardiff City

Ipswich Town 3-1 Gillingham

Leeds United 2-1 Derby County (12:15)

Leicester City 2-2 West Ham United

Plymouth Argyle 0-1 Millwall

Preston North End 1-1 Watford

Queens Park Rangers 1-1 Rotherham

Reading 2-0 Brighton

Wigan Athletic 2-1 Nottingham Forest

Guest Crow's Nest1927

Predictions eh? that gives me an idea.................

Burnley 0-2 Sheffield United

Coventry City 1-1 Sunderland (5:35)

Crewe Alexandra 0-2 Cardiff City

Ipswich Town 2-1 Gillingham

Leeds United 1-0 Derby County (12:15) :shifty:

Leicester City 1-1 West Ham United

Plymouth Argyle 1-0 Millwall

Preston North End 0-0 Watford

Queens Park Rangers 2-0 Rotherham

Reading 3-0 Brighton

Wigan Athletic 1-1 Nottingham Forest

Bah, Orient lost to Macclesfield 3-1. The first half we played nice, sexy football but failed to make ANYTHING of the possesion we had. Let in one in the first half from a good goal from Matthew Tipton. Then it went downhill, bah!!

Still, that was only the first game of the season, better luck against Cambridge next week

Yes! Great win for Leeds yesterday. Joachim and Richardson in particular had blinding games and Sully kept us in it at the end. If should of had more, Butler missed a couple, Richardson should of scored another and Walton misjudged a header. If we play like that all season we should have little worries, we just need to tighten up at the back.

So despite the players brought in, Blackwell is using some of the young players who developed last season. Richardson, Kilgallon and Walton all look brilliant players, and Waltons only 16. Johnno and Lennon still need to come through yet as well, so I'm optimistic