The Hockey Thread

Clawson

I said last year I thought that four teams from the Northwest could contend for playoff spots. I think the same is true this year; Colorado definitely has a shot to make the playoffs.

:D

Hal Gill: He can be a bit of a pylon but he can also be a bit of a brick wall. I have no idea why Hamrlik is in the "also" category in Toe's post, the guy can play his own zone as well or better than pretty much everyone else on the Montreal blueline.

I said last year I thought that four teams from the Northwest could contend for playoff spots. I think the same is true this year; Colorado definitely has a shot to make the playoffs.

:D

Hal Gill: He can be a bit of a pylon but he can also be a bit of a brick wall. I have no idea why Hamrlik is in the "also" category in Toe's post, the guy can play his own zone as well or better than pretty much everyone else on the Montreal blueline.

That is what I was saying. Right now, Hamrlik is one of their best defencemen along with Georges and O'Byrne. I saw a lot of Hal Gill while he was a Leaf and as a Penguin. He is incredibly slow and at times would rather pokecheck then hit. On the penalty kill he is great in clearing the crease and with his long stick he can easily break up passes. He is a rock on 5-3 situations.

I don't know why they pair Gill with another slow guy in Mara. They really should put Gill with someone with a little more mobility.

Carey Price punched a hole in the visitors locker room and the Habs got bag skated for 20 min yesterday. They better come out flying against Edmonton if they wan't to prove the critics wrong that they're not just more of the same.

I honestly believe we're a better team, if you look at the way Gionta, Gomez and Cammy play together, it's unbelievable. Pleks has been an absolute warrior, but his linemates haven't been doing much, which yes, is an issue. The Lapierre, Moen, Lats line is just awesome. So much forechecking, so much heart and they've potted 3 or 4 goals already. Our 4th line, is great up front, but needs to work on their in zone defense, but I still feel that the players we brought in, are by and large upgrades on who left. The only thing we can't replace with 1 player is Komisarek's shot blocking, but I feel that had Markov not gone down, it would have been a non-factor. Then again, pull the best player off any team and they're going to hurt.

Tough loss for the Wings.

Dallas beat Calgary tonight. Team just doesn't have their shit together enough. The Powerplay is lethal, but even strength, our top line is just garbage. Jokinen needs to center the second line, and Langkow should be on the top unit with Iginla.

Fucking Islanders. Up 3-0 at the start of the third and yet, we're going to our third straight OT. Its a good thing I only hope for Tavares goals, cause winning is still too much to hope for.

Edited by Maxx

Guest Mr. Potato Head

What? The Leafs suck?

Boy, it's not like, oh, everybody outside the Toronto bubble saw this coming.

They should humour Grapes and bring in MacDonald.

A lot of people had them in the group battling for the playoffs. We should have beat Montreal. But the last 3 games have been fucking pathetic.

I still think they will battle for a playoff spot... they just need to get their act together a little bit.

Last year the team finished 10th in scoring, if I recall correctly. They did this by putting pucks at the net and battling hard. Nothing has to be fancy. Just look at the goals they scored tonight. Hard work, pucks to the net, red light on. That's the formula that works for them, and that's the formula they should be using.

When Stalberg went down, there was a visible change in the work ethic of the forwards. Maybe when he comes back, that will re-ignite the team. Phil Kessel suits up sometime next month for the Leafs, so there's that to look for as a spark as well.

It feels to me, like the forwards have no confidence in Toskala, which makes them hesitant to do much in the offensive zone... and Toskala is so rattled by everyone waiting for him to fuck up, that he constantly is fucking up... and the defense still hasn't gotten used to each other yet.

What I would do, is pretty simple... if I'm Ron Wilson, I stress the need to play aggressive in the offensive zone. Pucks to the net and hard work down low. I tell my defense to pinch if there's an offensive opportunity. I stress the need to block shots or get the fuck out of the way (Kabs, I'm looking at you). I play Gustavsson for three or four straight games when he's back and ready.

If the skaters play aggressive and give up chances that don't all end up in the back of the net, they'll start to gain confidence in the team and everything will run more smoothly. As it stands, everyone seems so afraid to make a mistake that ends up behind Toskala, that they end up making more mistakes simply because they're psyching themselves out.

Toronto needs to put some kind of system in place. It seems like Wilson is just randomly throwing mud against the wall to see what sticks. Nothing is sticking...and they're getting murdered. A system needs to be clearly defined and put into place.

Toskala has no confidence at all. He's practically sitting inside the net on every shot. The team in front of him lacks direction, and can't provide him support...and the vicious cycle continues. Vesa is totally lost positionally, and honestly right now looks worse than Raycroft did. I'm starting to think Allaire has done more damage than good in the case of Vesa Toskala.

The team isn't playing a hard hitting game, they're not playing a skilled game, or a gritty game, or a puck possession game...every line seems to be doing something different, and they're usually being switched up constantly. The best shifts we had came from guys working hard down low, and putting the puck towards the net with someone nearby to pounce on a rebound, or hammer in a dirty goal.

No more pretty plays. The team needs to get down to the basics and play with more grit and fire. Play in the tough areas, make it tough for the other teams by being hard on the puck and throwing the body. Make the dirty plays, get the dirty goals...and play like a team that lacks real first line talent. The reason? Well, because we DO lack first line talent. Dump the puck in, chase the puck, win the battles, put the puck towards the net...good things will happen.

Long story short...the team needs a system, and needs to establish an identity. It's alright to say "we want a tough team to play against," but frankly they don't have those types of players up front right now. Phil Kessel isn't going to play a rough game...and who's going to help give him the space to operate?

Team needs a lot of work...A LOT of work.

Also: good on Lee Stempniak. I rode him pretty hard last season, but he's been working hard the last few games.

No. Carey Price wildly out played Vesa Toskala. He earned his win.

In the case of Montreal v. Edmonton. This was the game where we missed Markov. There were 2 chances that turned into goals, these chances likely would have been broken up if Markov was on the ice. The pluses from this game were that even down 3-0 Montreal was pushing incredibly hard against Edmonton, it was also good that we out-shot Edmonton 35-17, with a good number of shots coming in close.

I really like our team.... but I would like it a whole lot better if we won some more games hahaha. I'm gonna say in due time, but if we're on the bubble this year come April.... I won't forget these games.

Agreed Drifter. I felt that the first goal, while the D could have been better, it wasn't a laser shot, and it seemed that it just eluded Price.... surprise, surprise to the high glove side. He does everything else so goddamned well, but when he's a bit off, it's a glaring weakness.

I think that if Toskala doesn't show anything in the next 2-3 games, then his time is done. He hasn't shown ANYTHING. He was okay in the opener and has been terrible since then. The rest of the team has to take some of the blame, but Toskala has played so poorly that the games are not even close.