The Hockey Thread

Clawson

Terrific game last night between the Stars and Sharks. I was expecting the Stars to get totally dominated but they managed to pull it out in... A SHOOTOUT!

Huge comeback in the third period to tie it up. Then in the shootout, Robidas pulls out the winning shot. A defenseman pulls out the winning goal.

Tough two points against the toughest team in the NHL.

Yeah, but i doubt Jason Blake and ect has a one way contract they have to go through waivers first. Which could mean trouble

Yes and no.

Putting someone through waivers can be viewed as a negative, but at this point, anyone who would be sent through has probably been shopped around relentlessly by Brian Burke. If he couldn't move them in a trade, it's highly unlikely that someone would pick them up through waivers, because 90% of the time, when someone can't be moved, it's a money issue.

What you really have to worry about is Re-Entry Waivers, where a team only has to pay half the salary. Of course, there are ways to get around that. I believe that for a period over Xmas, players can't be traded or picked up through waivers. I would need clarification on that... but I know there are a couple of windows of opportunity for no-hassle re-entry for those players.

Somebody owes Mr. Toskala an apology, as he was fan-dabi-dozi against Chicago. He bailed out "Captain" White who got ker-pwn-smashed by Toews, while also being futtbucked by "OLAS" who spoonfed the Hawks their first goal.

I really wish we would have gone with the traditional rebuild model instead of a retooling. It's obvious we need to see some serious changes on this roster. Our forwards need major upgrades to size and skill.

Going to free agency for talent is going to be expensive. In the cap era one of the biggest assets an organization can have is young, cheap talent that can help keep your salaries down. Part of that is especially true with cheap top six talent you can plug into spots (where typically a lot of salary goes).

We can't bring a player like Bozak up because his salary is too high to fit in. We lose players to free agency/trade and it opens up space...but our young guys are still going to have a NHL hangover. So basically this rebuilding on the fly thing isn't really looking like the best option.

Take a gander at Boston. They rebuilt on the fly and now they're in a hard place with the cap, and struggling partially as a result. I don't see how using this model ensures long term success.

I'm probably wrong though. Hopefully I am.

The big hope going forward for this team is that, if large salaries like Toskala and Blake can be removed through trade or being sent down, Toronto can be active in free agency and add some good players. If you can add 4 useful players for the added salaries of Toskala and Burke, then the team will be better.

I also think, looking forward, that Toronto has a good chance to finish this month on a good note and have a winning record for November.

Edited by Toe

Plub, certainly no better indeed as both goalies made some dandy's during the game. It's upsetting that Montreal is down to having only a top 3 forwards (not that we had 6 to start), and only 3 defensemen. I think the only team with less legitamate scoring talent is Toronto with their top 1 forward and 2 defensemen. I can't wait for O'Byrne and Gionta to come back... maybe they can help our anemic scoring chances.