The Hockey Thread

Clawson

Steve Yzerman is the new GM in Tampa Bay.

Him running any team but the Red Wings seems very wrong.

• Like 2

I am a Penguins fan. And I live in Philadelphia. That clear it up for you?

No..sorry Meacon it doesn't compute. Do you dislike all the Philly teams, or just the Flyers?

Yup. Dislike all Philly teams. The fans (the majority, anyway) are ignorant, front-runners.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Somebody doesn't appreciate a gold medal... :P

Somebody doesn't appreciate a gold medal... :P
I meant at the NHL level. :P

Silly Empee, nobody cares more about gold medals then SDM.

Also, Clawson: That song was probably the worst of the DGB/Bloge hybrids. DGB does himself a disservice every time he associates with Bloge.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

I've been pushing the Blackhawks all year, I think they've got the better offensive firepower and Leighton won't be able to steal another series.

Should be no surprise the Blackhawks made it to the big dance this season. The Flyers on the other hand are the Cinderella team.

Game One is tonight! I cannot wait. Biggest game of hockey I've watched in 18 years. Let's go Hawks!

I'm really pulling for the Flyers in this one, Nothing against the Hawks at all but to see Pronger get traded by the Ducks and then that very year go and win the cup with Philly would be awesome.

Go Pronger/Philly!

I'm not a fan of either team, but as a Penguin fan I can't really bring myself to cheer for Philly. Chicago also has Toews, Kane and the big man Byfuglien so I guess I'm pulling for Chicago in this one.

The commissioner touched on a variety of issues while meeting the media for 30 minutes Friday.

He referred to the league's 30 franchises as stable and said that the "market is not flooded with teams" for sale, contrary to some media reports. He also expressed interest in seeing teams return to Winnipeg and Quebec City before another one ever comes to Southern Ontario.

Bettman still regrets allowing the Jets and Nordiques to move.

"I'd like to try and fix something that I wish might not have happened in the first place," he said. "Not unlike what we did in Minnesota."

The commissioner also confirmed that David Thomson and Mark Chipman recently made an offer to buy the Phoenix Coyotes and move them back to Winnipeg. The league had that as a backup plan in case the city of Glendale wasn't prepared to cover the team's losses next season.

• Like 1

I don't see any NHL expansion in the near future, and besides Phoenix I can't think of any teams currently in financial situations where they might move. So how does Bettman plan to bring hockey back to Winnipeg and Quebec City? It almost sounds like he's just saying that as a way to state an interest in doing something that won't happen.