EWB Monthly Graphics Contest: June

Sorry for the delay there folks, between EddieG's recent suspension and my own ongoing events at home, things got delayed a little. I stepped in for the time being to take care of the monthly contests, once EddieG returns I'll hand the reigns back to him (Y)

Anyway, down to business...

--Matt--

Docpepper: 6/10

AD: 6/10

Norro: 6.5/10

Total: 18.5/30

a good graphic overall. the background is the highspot for me . the text is ok. and the Mel cut looks to have different shading that Grohl.

Hard to see this as a billboard, truth be told... let alone a billboard for a movie. Lighting on the cuts are weird, the outer glow on them kind-of looks cheesy. Not digging the logo and the typography isn't exactly appealing (especially the lower text... black type with a white glow CAN work at times, but not with the way you've done it unfortunately).

El Presidente

Docpepper: 5/10

AD: 5/10

Norro: 7.5/10

Total: 17.5/30

the background is bit simple. the main downside for me is the gradient on the text.

Damn. This really stands out to me as something good. Background works well, cut looks great... honestly, the downfall to this piece is the typography. Remember: this is a billboard, you can't overload the viewer with information because it's going to be hard to process it driving down the highway. The logo isn't that appealing, the type is definitely too small for a billboard... this works well as a wall-advertisement, something someone can stop and stand in front of to view, rather than something on a billboard where people are flying by it trying to mae out the site at the bottom.

nufan

Docpepper: 6.8/10

AD: 4/10

Norro: 4.5/10

Total: 15.3/30

simple design. the whole left side is blurry to me though. The text is placed good. the graident on some of the typo is hit or miss in spots. but overall it's good.

Sometimes, simple is great. This is not one of those times. The cut looks awful due to the effect on it and really, the gray you've used here isn't flattering to the piece. The red/pink text color looks awful on top of it in the font you've used, and the bold white type at the bottom honestly just unbalances the entire right side of it. Not the best of efforts, I have to say.

Closed and Moved to Archives

Docpepper: 5/10

AD: 4/10

Norro: 6/10

Total: 15/30

The cut of Jermaine seems a bit to dark to me. The main text is hard to read. but the background and rest fo the typo are ok.

This is the same issue as Presidente: it's a billboard. Tiny text crammed together makes for a difficult to read billboard driving by on the highway. In this instsance as well, the cuts are mis-matched not only in lighting but in image quality, and the cut on the right has part of his arm erased off crudely rather than a simple fade or something into the background. Definitely need to work on image transitioning like that. Typography isn't that great, logo is waaaay too downplayed and honestly isn't that well designed either. The idea is there, but... the execution is unfortunately sorely lacking.

kempay

Docpepper: 8.8/10

AD: 8/10

Norro: 8/10

Total: 24.8/30

I love the simplicity of this. to me the star of the graphic is the typo. it's placed great and not overdone. the only downside is the woman's face and faded out text on the left.

This is a much better kind-of simple, a MUCH better kind-of simple. The use of white and harsh-lighted cuts is wonderful, and truth be told your typography IS decent... not fantastic, but I'd say it's good. Loving the simplicity of the logo working with the piece as a whole, the tagline being faded and somewhat hard to see is great considering I'm assuming that's what you were aiming for due to what the line actually says. I'm not liking the way you've set up the type at the top, it feels unbalanced and honestly the font isn't nearly as nice as the ones you've used at the bottom. If it's the same font as the tagline, it honestly looks bad larger than smaller, so maybe a different font would suite the top more? All in all, this was an excellent effort with good results, just a few tweaks to it and it could have easily won you this for me.

Livid Soprano

Docpepper: 8.7/10

AD: 7/10

Norro: 9/10

Total: 24.7/30

Same grunge style I've seen from you before , but that's a good thing because you do it extremely well. blending,text placement and effects are great as well..

THIS is how you do a billboard. Low on type, gets all the information out there that's needed, the background fits the feel of the billboard perfectly, cuts look great and fit the style, the logo is perfect for something so simple and all the type fits well... well, except for the type at the bottom. Not liking the white type, I'd say getting rid of the drop shadow on that white type would have done you a whole lot of good, actually. Also, sizing it up so it matches the size of the type above it in width could have balanced things out nicely as well, I think.

And your winner is...

Kempay with a score of 24.8/30.

Hell of a competition this month, guys. Livid deserves credit for coming within literally .1 of tying for first place... ridiculously close finish, that. Expect July's rules to go up sometime tonight or tomorrow, and thanks for participating! :)

Meh, I let judges vote as they want. No sense in limiting how they score things, we're low enough on activity in these things as is. Silly or not, I'll allow it :P