Star QB Finally Lands Job

REGINA, Saskatchewan - Graham Harrell is headed to the Canadian Football League.

Associated Press

Harrell

The record-setting Texas Tech quarterback signed with the Saskatchewan Roughriders on Thursday.

Harrell is the NCAA Division I career leader in touchdown passes but wasn't drafted by the NFL. His workout with the Cleveland Browns did not result in a contract.

Harrell had to fight the perception that his numbers were the product of Texas Tech's offensive system and he didn't have the arm strength to succeed in the NFL.

The Roughriders are already two games into their season and have three quarterbacks on their roster. Their starter is former North Carolina quarterback Darian Durant, who had only four career CFL starts coming into the season.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=965701

Seriously? How is this kid not in the NFL?

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Plenty of quarterbacks can succeed in the NCAA but not the NFL - Eric Crouch for example.

And as Crouch also illustrates, CFL success is no guarantee for an NCAA stud either. I'd be surprised if this guy ever starts a game for the Riders. CFL teams have a weird mentality where if you flunked out as a starting QB for the worst team in the league, you're still a better option than somebody who's never been given a chance. (Notable exceptions include Buck Pierce, Marcus Brady, and any time the Stamps' owner wants to make his son the starting QB.)

Exactly.

He's a system QB who did pretty piss poor at most of the combines' QB drills. Really no surprise he went undrafted. Good for him to go to the CFL, where he can learn for a couple of years and, if he improves and proves to be successful in a pro-style offense, try his shot at the NFL again.

Analysis

Strengths: Intelligent leader who does not lack for poise. His head and feet are calm in the pocket. Very accurate on short and intermediate routes. A decisive, one-read quarterback, but is able to go through progressions when pressed. Can look off deep safeties to hit underneath routes. Shows some mobility in the pocket. Throws accurately off his back foot, from different arm angles and on the run in either direction. Works hard to get great timing with receivers. Better arm than he's given credit for, able to throw the 18-yard out from the opposite hash with adequate velocity. Has the athleticism to buy time in or outside of the pocket or pick up first downs with his feet -- although he was not often asked to so do. Makes good decisions, and throws the ball away when needed. Gets the ball out quickly without extraneous movement.

that's from the nfl combine website. The biggest thing for him is the whole "system" ordeal with Tech. There have been three QB's before him that did the exact same thing and didn't translate to anything at the next level. Out of all of the Tech QB's though, I see Harrell as the best, and with the best chance. I actually feel he'll be just fine in the CFL.

If this past week's game was any indication, Harrell won't be winning a championship any time soon. I watched most of the Roughriders vs. Alouttes game on cable Saturday, and the Roughriders were horrible. Both teams turned over the ball a few times, but I was surprised that the Roughriders even managed to score at all.