DVD sale at Big Lots

GhostMachine

Found out from another board that Big Lots stores have some fairly decent dvds on sale for anywhere from $3 to $6, including some season sets. However, it appears that its a crapshoot on what you can find; Some of the stores have had complete season sets of the Flintstones, for instance, but the one near me only had season 3. I saw season sets for Night Court (season 1 only), West Wing (season 2 only), and Joey at the one I went to. I almost bought the movie Be Cool, but decided not to; the only thing I picked up was a Popeye cartoon set, featuring 60 cartoons from 1933 to 1938, for $3. They also had a Lakers history set, which I was tempted to pick up, but didn't, and an ESPN 2-Minute Drill box set (If they had a Stump the Schwab box set, I would have bought it, but they didn't), for $6 each. Had some anime dvds, but no volume 1 in any of them; mostly two different Gundam dvds (from Mobile Suit Gundam, I think) and another anime I forget the name of (Legacy of the Stellar Crest, or something like that?), but it was volume 3.

One guy at the other board hit 2-3 different Big Lots and spent around $24 for stuff that would have cost well over $300 if he had bought it off Amazon!

(They also had some PC games, but the only two I had ever even heard of were Commandos and a Brothers In Arms game)

Man, that actually sounds cool. Unfortunately that franchise apparently only exists in the outskirts/general middle of nowhere areas outside of Seattle for me.

Man, that actually sounds cool. Unfortunately that franchise apparently only exists in the outskirts/general middle of nowhere areas outside of Seattle for me.

That sucks.

There are only two Big Lots here, and the one more likely to have good stuff is in a place where it isn't even worth driving to unless I have to go to that area for other things (ie, on the other side of town and would have to deal with a ton of traffic).

Someone found some Superfriends DVDs (only one or two seasons, though) and Lois and Clark sets (they had the complete series, but in season sets, not a boxed set of the whole show, if I remember right), but the one I went to didn't have those. I was wanting the Lois and Clark sets, but probably would have skipped the last season since the show jumped the shark by then. (And David Doyle's appearance as a guardian angel when Lois and Clark got married made no sense whatsoever....)

I told my mother about the sale and she went and picked up a Frank Sinatra movie and some computer game.

Edited by GhostMachine

This thread, as well as a similar one on the Wrestlecrap forum, gave me the urge to go to Big Lots for the first time in a long time. And while they had a crapton of DVDs for $3 each, most of them were just that: crap. However, I was able to get a good amount of Asian flicks, including The Executioner (Sonny Chiba), Blood Brothers (produced by John Woo), Gen-X Cops and Tsui Hark's Vampire Hunters, as well as the American horror flick Slither, which I probably could have gotten for a few bucks more at Wal-Mart's bargain bin. Yeah, most of the stuff could either be found at Wal-Mart or wasn't even good enough for that (mine had a lot of random Spanish flicks and cheap anime series, but not whole sets) but I still got 5 movies for $15.

Entire seasons, in some cases the entire run, of Tales From The Crypt have been popping up at Big Lots' across the nation, for $3. A lot of horror-related message boards are full of different people either posting photographic evidence of their coup, or creaming their pants and saying they need to go to Big Lots soon. It's insane.

This thread, as well as a similar one on the Wrestlecrap forum, gave me the urge to go to Big Lots for the first time in a long time. And while they had a crapton of DVDs for $3 each, most of them were just that: crap. However, I was able to get a good amount of Asian flicks, including The Executioner (Sonny Chiba), Blood Brothers (produced by John Woo), Gen-X Cops and Tsui Hark's Vampire Hunters, as well as the American horror flick Slither, which I probably could have gotten for a few bucks more at Wal-Mart's bargain bin. Yeah, most of the stuff could either be found at Wal-Mart or wasn't even good enough for that (mine had a lot of random Spanish flicks and cheap anime series, but not whole sets) but I still got 5 movies for $15.

Glad you found some decent stuff.

The BL I went to only had one HK flick, and it was one of the Wu Tang series (Put out by the Wu Tang Clan, who are fans of old school HK martial arts movies, maybe?); some movie featuring Bruce Liang. I definitely would have grabbed The Executioner and Tsui Hark's Vampire Hunters if they had any in stock.

Went back yesterday and they hadn't restocked yet, but had moved things around, because the computer games were all grouped together instead of mixed in with the movies and tv shows. A ton of dvds were gone - including all the season sets I mentioned except the West Wing and Night Court ones - and the only thing new I saw at all was The O.C. season 2. So I left without buying anything.

I noticed that a good chunk of the movies they have on dvd are pre-viewed and repackaged, rather than new dvds. Weird.

I noticed that a good chunk of the movies they have on dvd are pre-viewed and repackaged, rather than new dvds. Weird.

I didn't notice that but what I did notice were that there were a few DVDs in slim-cases, making me think that they were taken out of a box set. Not to mention my Big Lots had no season sets of anything.

I didn't notice that but what I did notice were that there were a few DVDs in slim-cases, making me think that they were taken out of a box set. Not to mention my Big Lots had no season sets of anything.

I noticed that too, about the slim cases.

By the way, I don't if they're all like that, but according to what some people have found out over at Byrne Robotics (which is where I found out about the DVDs in the first place), the Big Lots they go to appearently restock on Tuesdays. I haven't checked the one near me lately, and probably won't for another week or two.

Hope they get more HK flicks in. The one I mentioned before didn't look too interesting. (Bruce Liang was one of the dozens of Bruce Lee rip-offs who popped up after his death)