LD's New (to me) Music Topic

Lowerdeck

Alright... here's new or new to me albums that I have picked up in the last month or so...

End of June:

Albert King/Stevie Ray Vaughan - In Session

I first heard 'Blues at Sunrise' at a bar and was impressed. Then picked up the album a day later. But was skipping in 'Don't Ask Me Questions'. Got a new copy, been playing that quite a bit since. Also like the renditions of 'Stormy Monday Blues' and 'Pride and Joy'

Armin van Buuren - A State of Trance 2009

Liking Disc 1 far better than Disc 2

Ronnie Earl and the Broadcasters - Living In The Light

I picked up Hope Radio a few months ago and over time became very impressed. Really been digging this one too. Vocals I could have lived without, but musically it's great.

Early/Mid July

Davy Knowles w/ Back Door Slam - Coming Up For Air

I've been really liking these guys since I first heard Roll Away. And this is another good effort here. 'Tear Down These Walls' and 'You Can't Take This Back' stand out as of now.

Johnny Cash - American IV: The Man Comes Around

I've only given this a few listens, but it's quite interesting. In the American series, it is mostly covers. The one "Hurt" is pretty amazing.

Last Week

Cosmic Gate - Sign of the Times

These guys are pretty good when they just stick to making kick ass music... without vocals. And this album, mostly vocals. Not a whole lot of hard shit. Ugh. This is gonna be another let down, like Earth Mover.

Patterson Hood - Murdering Oscar (and other love songs)

Only listened to this twice so far, but I usually like Drive-By Truckers stuff. No complaints as of yet.

This week

Drive-By Truckers - The Dirty South

Amon Amarth - With Oden On Our Side

Sun Volt - American Central Dust

The first two I got Wednesday and only heard once, ACD yesterday and listening to for first time now. Too soon to comment.

Concerts: (stealing ratings scale from somewhere)

Burning Spear 7/8 :w00t:

Paul McCartney 7/21 :D / :w00t:

Hampton Beach Bluegrass Festival 7/16

Steeldrivers :)

Del McCoury Band :D

Ricky Skaggs and Kentucky Thunder :(

Let's see...

Current favorites:

Previously mentioned two Back Door Slam albums, previously mentioned two Ronnie Earl albums, then both albums by Bernie Williams: The Journey Within (2003) and Moving Forward (2009). Sure he's a Yankee, but he puts out some pretty good jazz too.

New to me:

George Thorogood and the Destroyers - Dirty Dozen (2009)

I heard a few songs on the album so far, looking forward to giving this a full listen. For some reason though as I type that, I'm listening to my iPod. There's remakes of older songs, some covers, maybe some new stuff. I gotta look this up on Wikipedia later.

Ronnie Earl and the Broadcasters - Grateful Heart: Blues and Ballads (1996)

I found this one for eight dollars, and like the couple of albums I already got. This was only natural. Heard about half so far, heavy on the tenor sax for a blues-jazz feel. In some spots, more jazz than blues.

In addition, I heard today of a band called Whiskeytown - which has Ryan Adams in it. Any recommendations there?

Edited by Lowerdeck

for DBT, I first got started on Brighter Than Creation's Dark. Then Dirty South. One these days I gotta get more into the catalog there. And along the way got some Jason Isbell solo albums, mainly whatever I learned from this one show I listen to. Murdering Oscar got some play, I was intrigued and picked it up.

• 3 weeks later...

More new stuff

First week August

Future Sound of London - Teachings From The Electronic Brain

A greatest hits album of sort. Coming in, I only knew of Papua New Guinea. But I'm really enjoying what these guys got.

Whiskeytown - Strangers Almanac

More on this later

Bob Marley and the Wailers - Uprising

Yet another original, not a remaster. I have Soul Rebels, Babylon By Bus, and Exodus that are remasters, the rest are original CD releases. Good find here, though the plastic case is in a bit rough shape.

Second week August

Ronnie Earl and the Broadcasters - The Colour of Love (1997)

More like Grateful Heart than the newer two I got. In all likelyhood, I'm going on the 29th to see them pending a hurricane or some crazy act of God.

Last Sunday

... this is what happens in New Hampshire, with no sales tax vs. 6.25% south of the line

Steely Dan - Two Against Nature and Everything Must Go

I already had the first seven albums from the original run, found these two for $4 each. Been on a big Steely Dan mood lately, so these were good pickups.

Drive-By Truckers - Southern Rock Opera

Another relative bargain for a double album, cause some idiot at Best Buy mislabeled this at 9.99. Bit of an interesting concept. And then the longest track on Disc (Act) 1 is Patterson Hood explaining the next song, which is three minutes shorter than its intro. Kind of strange.

Whiskeytown - Pneumonia

I've been in a big Ryan Adams mood lately also.

Kings of Leon - Because of the Times

Found this one for $7. Their last album was alright, I liked Closer and Crawl. I know people rave about them, and my friend Becky is a little hardcore over them. So, gave it a shot. Plus the album cover is a bit neat.

Current rotation:

DSC01674.jpg

Well, today I went through a lot of Jimi Hendrix since it's the 40th anniversary of his show at Woodstock.

Upcoming concerts:

Ronnie Earl and the Broadcasters - Aug. 29th ... I still need to buy tickets me thinks

Tiesto - Oct. 1st ... I really want to know how much someone paid to bring him to Lowell of all places.

And then contemplating between B.B. King or Bruce Springsteen (w/ The E St. Band) on Sunday night. Both same day, same time.

Edited by Lowerdeck

Pneumonia by Whiskeytown is excellent. I like Stranger's Almanac but I much prefer Pneumonia. My favourite song on it is "Jacksonville Skyline".

Two Agsint Nature and Everything Must Go are really good too. They're not really on a par with their 70s albums but still ver enjoyable indeed.

I love Because of the Times. It's by far my favourite Kings of Leon album, as well as my probably favourite album of 2007 and one my favourite albums altogether.

And all Jimi Hendrix is fantastic as well of course. Little Wing in particular.

Yes, I prefer 70s Steely Dan to the two newer ones. Then again, I've only heard them like twice so far. Been heavily listening to The Royal Scam, Countdown to Ecstasy, and to an extent Katy Lied lately.

Hendrix - I dunno how many people out there have the Band of Gypsys album, but Machine Gun on there is just downright amazing. Getting slightly burnt on Are You Experienced since many songs on it are overplayed singles, so been favoring Axis Bold as Love and Electric Ladyland along with Gypsys.

It was random chance me finding out about Whiskeytown, I walked into a record store and they were playing it. I slightly been into alt-country and Ryan Adams the last few months. I got Gold, Easy Tiger, and Cardinology for Ryan Adams solo. Heard some other parts of the discography are really different from those three.

I listened to the Royal Scam not too long ago as well. My favourite Steely Dan album is probably Pretzel Logic though,

Gold, Easy Tiger and Cardinology are probably quite similar. Cold Roses, Jacksonville City Nights and Heartbreaker are perhaps a bit more country. 29 is mainly ballads. Rock n Roll is rocky as the name suggests and Love Is Hell is kind of a mix of them all.I like everything by Ryan Adams although I'd mostly recommend Love Is Hell, Heartbreaker and Cold Roses in that order if you don't have them yet.

I saw him in Edinburgh for my birthday last year. It was amazing. He played for more than three hours.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright. Updates: saw Springsteen last week. Hell of a show, went nearly three hours. Got my ticket for Tiesto on Oct. 1st and Ronnie Earl on Saturday (the storm known as Danny being a question mark now).

New stuff:

* Willie Nelson - American Classic

I'm intrigued to hear this one. So far in reviews and the samples I've listened to - jazz standards? Interesting. I have the album with him and Wynton Marsalis, which was good. I hear this album is a lot like Stardust, but I never heard that one.

* Johnny Winter - The Woodstock Experience

A double album limited edition set. Special packaging, a copy of the 1969 release Johnny Winter was included with the live set at Woodstock. Heard a bit of the live set portion on XM radio a week and a half ago (wonder when?) and sounded like some great blues playing but rough vocals. Just will have to see...

Reviews:

Sun Volt's American Central Dust

This one I'm on the fence about. Sultana got one listen and will likely never get played again, Cocaine and Ashes got a few more listens but might be at that level too. The rest is like a softer indie country hybrid, might get some time for me to get used to.

• 1 month later...

I'm way behind on this topic. So I'll just catch up

Current rotation:

Ronnie Earl - Grateful Heart, Colour of Love, w/ Duke Robillard

Whiskeytown - Strangers Almanac, Pnuemonia

Kings of Leon - Aha Shake Heartbreak, Because of the Times

Johnny Winter - Live at Woodstock, self-titled album

Drive By Truckers - Decoration Day, The Fine Print

Dethklok - Dethalbum II

Dying Fetus - Descend Into Depravity

Black Dahlia Murder - Deflorate

It Dies Today - Lividity

Santana - Live at Woodstock

Bruce Hornsby - Levitate

Johnny Cash - Live at Folsom Prison

R.L. Burnside - Too Bad Jim

Above and Beyond - Anjunabeats Vol. 7

Tiesto - Kaleidoscope

Bluesbreakers: John Mayall with Eric Clapton

Swallow the Ocean - self-titled

Burning Spear - Live at Montreux

Bolded stuff is new within the last few weeks.

After giving up on Kings of Leon after hearing their last album, a friend of mine insisted I go back and get the older albums. I'm more liking these, so she's redeemed.

Playing the hell out of the Santana album, as well as the Whiskeytown.

IDT, aside from the cover of Duran Duran's 'Come Undone' is rather disappointing. Then again, I'm not a huge metalcore fan anyway. I should have just downloaded that one song and skipped buying this entire album.

Seemingly every RL Burnside album has two or three tracks found on other albums of his.

I saw Tiesto live last Thursday and it was fucking crazy. Granted this time I got properly wasted and danced around like a fucking lunatic. (Pregaming w/ chugging nips of Grey Goose in the car anyone?)

Saw Bruce Hornsby a week and a half ago for the third time. Always a good time to see him. Though his new album, I swear the lyrics are getting more and more ridiculous. It's like he's trying to sound overly smart and intelligent. And yet he's not indie. Plus the beat on 'Prairie Dog Town' sounds an awful lot like Snoop Dogg's 'Drop It Like It's Hot'

Contemplating going to see the Gaslight Anthem in Boston in a week and a half.

Edited by Lowerdeck

Got some new replacements for the rotation:

Neil Young - Zuma

Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker

Chthonic - Mirror of Retribution

Revocation - Existence Is Futile

Vader - Necropolis

Metal mood? Yeah.

EDIT: Current rotation

1-5. above five

6. Ronnie Earl and Duke Robillard - Duke Meets The Earl

7/8. Kings of Leon - Aha Shake Heartbreak, Because of the Times

9/10. Drive By Truckers - Decoration Day, The Fine Print

11. Dethklok - Dethalbum II

12. Dying Fetus - Descend Into Depravity

13. Black Dahlia Murder - Deflorate

14. R.L. Burnside - Too Bad Jim

15. Above and Beyond - Anjunabeats Vol. 7

16. Tiesto - Kaleidoscope

17. Bluesbreakers: John Mayall with Eric Clapton

18. It Dies Today - Lividity

19. Bruce Hornsby - Levitate

20. Weather Channel's Smooth Jazz II

21. Santana - Live at Woodstock

Edited by Lowerdeck

Date: Oct. 17th

Venue: House of Blues, Boston

Gig: Gaslight Anthem, w/ Murder By Death

Ticket says doors open 5:30, show starts 6. I'm going for the door at 5:30... the door leaving my grandparents house - a 50 minute drive plus half hour subway ride away. Sounds like a plan...

7:25p: Getting near Kenmore station, mostly talking about the USC/Notre Dame football game. Seemingly more interested in finding out the score than showing up in a timely manner. Then again, I'm already really late as it is - or am I? Stop outside a bar across from Fenway Park and check on football scores.

7:35p: Actually show up at the place, Jesse Malin and Broadway Calls have already gone on and finished their sets. In a break now before MBD.

7:50p: MBD set begins. They go for about 40-45 minutes or so, not too terrible. Can barely hear the chick with the violin because the guitars are too overpowering.

8:35p: Another wait, main event is coming up. Not happy about spending 6 dollars on a 16 oz. PBR can. Thank God I don't tip at venues like this.

8:50p: Find myself a good spot over on the right side, near the stage but looking to the side of everyone and the drummer mostly is behind some wall. Cute blonde about 6 feet to my left.

8:55p: Goddamn it LD, say something to the blonde already. Been by herself now the entire time...

9:00p: Alright, forget the blonde. High Lonesome starts things off

9:25p: Miles... alright, I'm happy for the night.

9:30p: Some reference to the guys hanging out with a guy from the Bosstones. Crowd goes nuts, obviously. Leads into some song I can't remember, I assume the guy from the Bosstones was featured in the studio version.

9:45p: There's a 10 pm curfew? WTF??? Oh well, least I can go to the bar and get some food too after this.

9:55p: Last song is The Backseat, why am I not surprised by this one?

Set is most of '59 Sound, a few from Sink or Swim sprinkled in.

10:03p: Alright, we're getting an encore. Good.

10:15p: Show's over. Three song encore, two from SoS and the third is some song "Havin a Party" which I remember Rod Stewart doing. Fuck Rod Stewart.

10:16p: Blonde's still there just standing around. Damn it, I shoulda talked to that.

10:30p: Arrive at bar...

Pretty good show, just was hoping it would be a little longer. Then again, they only have two albums at 40 minutes each - perhaps I shouldn't have been expecting more.

Not sure if this would crack my top 5 for 2009 gigs. Certainly is behind Tiesto, Burning Spear, Paul McCartney, and Bruce Springsteen.