£45 movie to be released in cinemas

Baddar

A horror film made for just £45 on a camcorder is to be released in cinemas after impressing a distributor.

Zombie movie Colin, which was filmed in London and Wales, is the work of director Marc Price who also wrote, filmed and produced the movie.

It took the 30-year-old 18 months to complete and was edited while he was working for a courier company.

Swansea-born Mr Price said he hoped it would encourage other budding filmmakers to follow their dreams.

It will now be distributed by Kaleidoscope Entertainment who said it would hit the big screen in time for Hallowe'en.

The film charts the progress of Colin, played by actor Alastair Kirton, a man who is bitten by a zombie, dies and is resurrected as one of the flesh-eating un-dead.

It is shot from Colin's perspective with viewers gaining an insight of his life prior to zombification as well as witnessing him munching his way through various victims.

London-based Mr Price said he and Mr Kirton had become friends while working on another project and hit it off so decided to make Colin together.

"It was important to find a way to tell the story without bankrupting ourselves," he said.

"The end of the world scenario lends itself to that.

"Apart from three large sequences the bulk of the movie is just me, Alastair and my cheap little camcorder - that is where the heart of the movie lies."

He said when they first started filming he never thought it would reach a cinema audience.

"The whole thing is just insane. I really thought it was a joke when I was told."

Mr Price said he had named the central character in tribute to his father Colin, who had introduced him to films as a youngster with the original King Kong and the Empire Strikes Back among his favourites.

"I've always had a huge interest in films and film making," he added.

"I hope that this will encourage others to go out with their video cameras and make films.

"It just goes to show you don't need thousands and thousands of pounds."

There will be a sneak preview at the Frightfest fantasy and horror film festival in London next month.

It will then be released in London and other major cities although the names of the venues are yet to be released.

Idk. I wouldn't dispute the financial claim. We've been doing all the filming and editing and shit for The Romero Experiment for virtually nothing. If he owned a few things already (makeup, video equipment) and called in favors from friends (video editing, camera men, sound, etc.) that agreed to work for nothing, like we've been doing, it's possible. Also, as far as paying actors go, you'll never have a hard time finding willing people to A. Be eaten. B. Eat people.

One of the articles said that the special affects were done for free by the one of the people that did the effects for X Men Wolverine, plus he got actors off of facebook. If you have enough contacts and stuff, its totally possible to do something like this. If this is even a minor success then he'll have a much easier time finding funding for another movie.