Rome Total War

Guest Kamala

Guest Kamala

Been following this game since it got announced and i will have my copy in mid september hopefully. This game is drool, anybody else been following this. I bought Castle Strike today to quench my war gaming thirst and its doing a pretty good job i must say, cant wait to get my hands on Rome Total War. Anybody else preordered or preordering or just drooling over this game but their PC sucks so they cant play it. :P

Edited by Kamala

I like these sort of games but I suck so horrendously at them that I can't be doing with them - the Total War series, Rise of Nations, anything like that. I play a lot more games like Europa Universalis, Hearts of Iron etc. instead.

Has anyone seen Decisive Battles on the History Channel yet? They renact famous battles with Rome: Total War. The game looks amazing.

They did that on BBC 2 with a show called "Time Commanders", or "Time Generals"...or something like that. Was good stuff, even if most of the participants were strategically inept. ;)

This is shaping up to be the best strategy game ever. MTW still ends up winning bleedin' awards.

As for Time Commanders, the only reason they were so strategically incompetnet was that they had only heard of Romanbs, didn't know bugger all about anything else. Even those who used Romans wasted time on Tortuda formations...

AOE was good, but didn't have the strategic element of the Total Wars. The fact it has been cloned so often tells how good the system was.

As for Time Commanders, the only reason they were so strategically incompetent was that they had only heard of Romans, didn't know bugger all about anything else.  Even those who used Romans wasted time on Tortuda formations...

I don't think it was that. As far as I saw, every team was guaranteed to make at least one of the following horrendous mistakes:

1. "Right, so what we'll do is we'll split our army into two - and while they focus on this half on the right, the other half will sneak around and come at them from the other side, thus completely surrounding them!"

Yeah, cut yourself up into bitesize pieces for them to slaughter. Nice.

2. "Right, these are our strongest troops so we'll put them here...and these are our archers so we'll put them here..."

*halfway through the battle*

"Oh yeah, I forgot. We still have a whole bunch of troops [usually skirmishers] sitting at the back that we forgot about, while our frontline troops were sent in to be surrounded with no support. Oops."

3. "We're on top of a hill right? So all we need to do...is to send some of our crappy peasant troops down it to lure them up, and then we slaughter them from above! Muahahaha!"

"Oh no, they're chasing us! They're chasing us! Help! Help! What do we do now?!"

4. "Hah! We shall not play by THEIR terms! We shall make THEM come to US! That is how a TRUE general fights!" *strikes bold pose*

What you didn't count on was the fact that they're bigger, tougher, and - quite frankly - a hell of a lot more smarter than you. So while you sit there doing nothing, they are allowed to waltz around as freely as they wish. Morons.

5. "Sir, a small but mobile group of enemy riders have appeared out of the woods to the east, and are making a dash at our flank. Orders?"

"WHAT?! Horses?! They're not supposed to have horses! Redeploy the entire eastern flank of our army to deal with them! Immediately!!"

"Uhh sir it is only a couple of dozen light horsemen, and our eastern flank is heavily involved in supporting the central battle, in which our western flank would surely get crushed if we left them unsupported. Rather than moving half our army across half the map to deal with a pointless threat and completely isolate our own forces, might I suggest simply turning a small portion of troops to face them - thus keeping them at bay while also allowing our skirmishers the oppertunity to decimate them from behind our own lines?"

"Damn it man! Didn't you hear me? They have HORSES!! Horses require immediate panic! In fact, anything coming out of woods requires immediate panic - horses, badgers, rabbits, I don't care! Just DO it!"

Not that I mock.

I wanna play stoker in a game of Thrones & Patriots.  =)

*has never played the game and is barely even aware of its existance* :(

Edit: Ohhhh it's the Rise of Nations expansion pack.

...I hate that game. <_<

Edited by stokeriño

I wanna play stoker in a game of Thrones & Patriots.  =)

*has never played the game and is barely even aware of its existance* :(

Edit: Ohhhh it's the Rise of Nations expansion pack.

...I hate that game. <_<

Blasphemer! Nothing in the RTS world can top killing of peasants and burning down towns so you can build the Statue Of Liberty on their rotting corpses!

I prefer, say, intervening to save the noble, defenseless city state of Kleves from the evil advances of the imperial France. And after my 40,000 troops have successfully driven the French scum out of the state...they sit down, and refuse to move. If Kleves were ever to complain as to why I were keeping 40,000 troops stationed in THEIR homeland, I would politely point to the hundreds of pieces of gold in loans that they owe me, including interest. After all, why do they think I stepped in to save them in the first place? Although now I come to think of it, it would be a lot simpler for me to just annex them now, that way I'd get all their money. Oh...they've decided to sit quietly and pay up? That's nice of them.

I love Europa Universalis. :shifty: