Municipal Waste

VerbalPuke

Whoa, so I went to the Municipal Waste show on Friday clean shaved. I walked out with a full beard.

That was a fucking awesome show Friday night, they were tight, the sound was fan-dabi-dozi, and the crowd was amped. This is what heavy metal is all about, a thrashing good time. I didn't do much thrasing of course, I'm too old for that shit and have too pretty a face to get it mashed in. :shifty:

I love the new era of thrash, with bands like Municipal Waste leading the charge I'm beginning to think the modern era is perhaps even better than the shit we had in the 80s (and I loved that stuff). I'd been a fan of them for quite awhile, but after experiencing them live I think they might be up there with Toxic Holocaust as far as my favorite thrash metal bands go.

I'm just throwing this up since I'm rarely here these days, and wanted to share my concert experience. I think I've read that some of you guys have seen them, anybody have any thoughts?

• Like 1

Only been a fan since "The Art Of Partying" but quickly snapped up their previous efforts. Not a band I listen to all that much to be honest but their music has survived all my PC transfers. Caught them live at Leeds Festival this year, which didn't really give me the real EXPERIENCE I guess (and Leeds/Reading is far from a 'metal' festival, still got an amazing turnout though). Pit was mental and they get everyone into it (and the expression "Circle Tits" to mean two side by side circle pits is awesome...even if circle pits are shit :shifty:). It was a bit surreal though, because the bands I saw either side of them were about as far removed from Municipal Waste as you could get;

and

Although A Wilhelm Scream were on the Lock-Up before them, who are about as good as a band to have before Municipal Waste that you're going to get at Leeds/Reading.

Nice, very nice. The pit at the show I was at was also mental, some dude was out cold within the first few songs. I love going to these smaller venues because I tend to run into a lot of the same people. It was an odd mix of metal heads and crust punks. I think the crusties showed up for a band called Phobia who were pretty bad ass.

Two other bands played as well, Cauldron and Brutal Truth. Cauldron was alright, a decent thrash act that had an incredibly nasally vocalist, and Brutal Truth was just fucking Brutal....but not in the good way. They were just tedious and boring, but I've never enjoyed grindcore at all.

Municipal Waste were like you said, getting everybody into it. They genuinely seem to appreciate their fan base and seem to enjoy playing for all of us, especially when people get as rowdy as they do.

• Like 1

From what I have listened, Municipal Waste is a whole lotta mehh - formulaic, unmemorable run-of-the-mill stuff I wouldn't pay two bucks for to see live. :/ It's a shame, because I had high expectations for them, based upon the hype I had heard.

Okay, for some reason, it seems I got two bands mixed up: the band I was referring to was in fact Toxic Holocaust. Municipal Waste I hadn't even listened to. Now that I've listened to a couple of songs, they seem ok. Like a modern version of early Anthrax, with a bit of Slayer-esque guitars and Suicidal Tendencies in the mix. Definitely much better than Toxic Holocaust.

Not heard much, but I did catch their set at Download the other year, and it was pretty hectic. The vocalist had some pretty funny between-song banter too, although I don't recall what it was. Definitely not a band you want to have playing to a crowd stood on tarmac though, people were getting battered in the pits.