Gram Parsons

METALMAN

So recently I've been very taken with Sweetheart of the Rodeo by the Byrds. Despite it alienating their fans because they were playing "redneck" music I think it is the best thing they've ever done.

I've also got the impression that this album is pretty much the way it is due to Gram Parsons' influence.

Is this correct?

and if so, is his solo stuff as good?

and if so, what should I listen to?

cheers folks.

I also got a special edition of Mingus Ah Um today which includes that album, the Clown and Pithecanthropus Erectus for £3. Very cool.

I just wrote a lengthy response to this, and Chrome decided that when I click "post" it would be much more fun to send me back to the homepage instead.

So...yes, that's definitely Gram's influence on the Byrds there, though "ironically" the country establishment always rejected him because they thought he was a spoilt rock and roll kid playing at being country, just the same way the rock and roll establishment rejected him for being too "redneck", even though the trend at the time was for bands like The Eagles to play at "authenticity" by citing country influences and wearing flannel shirts. Truth is, Gram was a spoilt rich kid, but he obviously had a deep love for country music. Unfortunately, he also had a much deeper love for drinking, drugging and whoring, so there's a lot of his stuff (mostly live recordings) that's not really worth listening to.

Solo tracks worth listening to, though, are "A Song For You", which is probably my favourite Gram song by a wide margin, "Return Of The Grievous Angel" and "$1000 Wedding". Some of the Flying Burrito Brothers stuff is worth checking out too, especially their versions of "Wild Horses" and "The Dark End Of The Street".