Paul Weller

METALMAN

Thought we might as well have a talk about Paul Weller and his bands given that he has an album coming out on Monday. The Jam were one of the first bands I really got into, after finding a couple of old LPs belonging to my dad and eventually, a greatest hits cd. This was back when I was about 12 or something. Wanting to find out more, I listened to Paul Weller's solo stuff a couple of years later, and finally discovering the Style Council only about three years or so ago.

Since then, my opinion has changed quite a bit. Now I find the Jam mostly boring. For the most part I only ever listen to their later, more soul influenced stuff like Town Called Malice now, although that was my favourite of their output at the time also. For the most part I never cared for Weller's solo career, apart from Stanley Road and Heavy Soul, which I have always enjoyed. However, Heavy Soul was followed by a string of bland records full of nothing. However, this all changed a couple of years ago with the splendid 22 Dreams. I'd hesitate to call it a return to form - simply because it is actually better than anything from his solo career. "Echoes Round The Sun" is a massive parodox of a song - something that sounds unusual and exciting, yet at the same time features Noel Gallagher. It is this album that has me actually looking forward to new stuff from Paul Weller, something that hasn't happened for years.

Although my favourite Paul Weller phase is the Style Council by far. Good tunes, good lyrics and in my opinion, a band doesn't deserve any of the mass hatred they seem to receive. Although that tends to derive mainly from Jam fans terrified at the very thought of music not featuring guitars. Oh and Style Council were far too wussy for them. They like BLOKE MUSIC for GOOD HONEST BLOKES. These people also listen to Oasis and Kasabian, or, if they are feeling particularly adventurous, Stereophonics. They only like music not featuring guitars if it is the Prodigy or if it was on the Trainspotting soundtrack. They like to shout LAGER LAGER LAGER despite Underworld writing that song to take the piss out of them. They read Q magazine and probably also voted for Liam Gallagher in their poll to find the greatest frontman of all time. (Which Gallagher duly won. No doubt his brother is number 2 and the prick from Kasabian is third.) Cunts. The lot of them.

That's why no matter how much good music Paul Weller makes, I still always have a bit of resentment for him, because he seems to be cast as the figurehead of the scene whether he wants it or not. This is a shame because, unlike the rest of them Weller does seem to have a functioning brain. Maybe that's why the music I like best by him is when he actively tries to disassociate himself with the whole "modfather" thing.

He has stupid hair though.

I don't much like him. The Jam had some good tunes, but were mostly incredibly dull, and I don't really give a toss about Style Council - I can't recall a single song of their's, though I know I've heard plenty. Most of his solo stuff isn't too interesting either, but every now and then he just comes out with an absolute belter, which is nice. But he's not consistent enough for me to bring myself to say I actually like him, though. He's playing the Jersey Live Festival this year, though, so I might go see him if I can blag a free ticket.