Madden 11

sahyder1

Madden 11  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Getting the game?

Franchise is what makes these games worth it to me and they just haven't done enough to warrant me purchasing it at launch. The gameplay is fine and tandy and they're fixing the series up but Franchise needs to progress and it isn't this year. I'll play the demo but if I'm not COMPLETELY infatuated with it then this will most likely be my first time skipping Madden in 10 years.

I'd be in the same boat, but if I don't get it at launch, there's very little chance I'll see a copy available till perhaps Superbowl week.

Is the demo out for us non-Yankees today too? I can't see it on PSN.

It's out on the 360 marketplace in the UK. Maybe PSN updates on a different day?

Okay, having played the demo, I'm more impressed. The locomotion stuff has made the game look a lot more refreshing, and the presentation is top notch. Enjoying the gameflow idea, although unless there's a metric shitton of lines recorded, it's going to sound old pretty fast. The other big bonus is the blocking AI is noticeably better, it's actually possible to run a draw play properly now, and the little touches like the tailback nudging his lad blocker in a particular direction are great.

My only real gripe so far is the change to the pre-snap controls. I struggled to get to grips with how to do everything, and to compound the problem, there's very little time to actually do anything, I can barely get the player I want to control selected in time. Gus Johnson is perhaps a little too enthusiastic, but I'll take it over Robo-Hammond. Oh, and I saw Reggie Wayne do the toe-drag catch thing at the sideline, which was nice, because that hardly ever worked properly in '10...unfortunately, instead of crashing down to the ground, he reverted from being about 45 degrees to standing straight up.

Okay, having played the demo, I'm more impressed. The locomotion stuff has made the game look a lot more refreshing, and the presentation is top notch. Enjoying the gameflow idea, although unless there's a metric shitton of lines recorded, it's going to sound old pretty fast. The other big bonus is the blocking AI is noticeably better, it's actually possible to run a draw play properly now, and the little touches like the tailback nudging his lad blocker in a particular direction are great.

My only real gripe so far is the change to the pre-snap controls. I struggled to get to grips with how to do everything, and to compound the problem, there's very little time to actually do anything, I can barely get the player I want to control selected in time. Gus Johnson is perhaps a little too enthusiastic, but I'll take it over Robo-Hammond. Oh, and I saw Reggie Wayne do the toe-drag catch thing at the sideline, which was nice, because that hardly ever worked properly in '10...unfortunately, instead of crashing down to the ground, he reverted from being about 45 degrees to standing straight up.

I don't know if it's the case for Madden, but the NCAA 11 demo was missing SEVERAL key gameplay changes that were actually included in the final game, so there may be some more stuff in the release version to be happy with as for gameplay changes.

As for Franchise mode, isn't Madden getting something similar to NCAA 11's Online Dynasty? If so, EA is pushing pretty hard for that, and I personally can't fault them for leaving it alone because it was more than entertaining enough last year and a lot of the gameplay changes/tweaks seem meaningful enough to make buying Madden 11 seem worth it rather than just making me feel like it was an update they could have released for Madden 10.

Madden had Online Franchise last year if that's what you mean, EA have basically stated they've not really changed either Franchise modes this year as they're rebuilding the full engine for the first time in years for Madden 11, shame they couldn't do it this year but the longer they work on it, the better it'll be I imagine.

Oh and Dragsy, turn off the accelerated play clock and use B and the analog stick to select your player, should be able to get stuff in doing that.

Made a throw to the sideline and my WR managed to keep it in play by balancing himself on the line, was brilliant to see, never saw that on Madden 10.

Had a play go up to the booth that was reversed to, got a TD on the next play too, enjoyed that.

Oh and the UT card we got (New Giant/Jets Stadium), is UT dropping with the game this year instead of months after?

Not sure if the hint popped up for you, but during pre-snap you can also just hold B and then flick one of the analog sticks(I forget which one) in the direction of the player you want, and it will move that way. Very awesome addition I think.

Definitely impressed by this year's demo, love the locomotion engine and such. Just seems to play and feel better than it has in year's past, almost like a hybrid of the fun fast paced awesomeness of NCAA and with the speed of NFL in the past. Definitely picking it up release day.

I don't know if it's the case for Madden, but the NCAA 11 demo was missing SEVERAL key gameplay changes that were actually included in the final game, so there may be some more stuff in the release version to be happy with as for gameplay changes.

As for Franchise mode, isn't Madden getting something similar to NCAA 11's Online Dynasty? If so, EA is pushing pretty hard for that, and I personally can't fault them for leaving it alone because it was more than entertaining enough last year and a lot of the gameplay changes/tweaks seem meaningful enough to make buying Madden 11 seem worth it rather than just making me feel like it was an update they could have released for Madden 10.

As fun as online franchise has been, there is a LOT of work that needs to be done. Free agency/contracts basically don't exist for one, AI trade logic is also absent, and it'd be nice to have features like a highlights show, end of year awards etc. It basically needs fleshing out, rather than just being a series of games. Having the thread on EWB has helped maintain interest, without it, I doubt I'd bother to be honest.

Madden had Online Franchise last year if that's what you mean, EA have basically stated they've not really changed either Franchise modes this year as they're rebuilding the full engine for the first time in years for Madden 11, shame they couldn't do it this year but the longer they work on it, the better it'll be I imagine.

Oh and Dragsy, turn off the accelerated play clock and use B and the analog stick to select your player, should be able to get stuff in doing that.

Made a throw to the sideline and my WR managed to keep it in play by balancing himself on the line, was brilliant to see, never saw that on Madden 10.

Had a play go up to the booth that was reversed to, got a TD on the next play too, enjoyed that.

Oh and the UT card we got (New Giant/Jets Stadium), is UT dropping with the game this year instead of months after?

Yeah, UT is on the disc now, and again, it's disappointing that they've not really done anything with it.

Gameplay is the best it's ever been or certainly close. Shame the rest of the package has seemingly stagnated. Game flow is alright I guess but it's not targeted at people like me. Don't like the strategy pad or whatever but it's probably just me being so accustomed to the old system. Graphics are good. I can't really think of anything else to

comment on. Commentary is nice...

I think they need another studio to take over, even just to handle the actual game modes, it's clear Tiburon hasn't got a fucking clue in that regard. Stuff like the double interception sim glitch being in there for 5 years is inexcusable. I'll give them their due when it comes to actually improvig the on-field stuff, but they really need to work on the franchise mode. If they want to capture the casual market, fine, keep up with the Madden Arcade, NFL Tour type stuff, but it'd be really nice if they had a game solely devoted to the hardcore football fans. If only the NFL would see this and cut the exclusivity stuff.

• Like 2

I decided to give the demo a go, even though my entire experience of watching American Football is watching twenty minutes or so of two or three games about eight years ago, and my entire previous experience of the MADDEN Franchise was playing one of them eons ago at a mates - Madden 97 or 98 perhaps. I know a touchdown when I see one. I've heard of a quarter-back but would struggle to point one out on a field. I have no idea what a fourth down is. I have no clue why sometimes I had the option to pass the ball and sometimes I didn't; and I'm totally confused as to how it stopped being my opponents attacking me and dtarted being me attacking them.

But fuck, that was fun. I was only playing on the Rookie setting, and certanly didn't win the match I played through knowledge or experience or through having anything more than a VERY limited understanding of what the fuck was going on, but that was FUN.

I can't even tell you which team I was. I was the team in white (!) and won 56-0.

Ugh, I was afraid of this. It's probably my YEARS of playing NCAA instead of Madden, and this year (of course) I played NCAA before Madden. While it is DRASTICALLY improved and everything flows infinately better ... I still get the same 'ugh' from it as I always have.

The blocking AI is something completely different (in a very good way) than it has ever been, but there is still that 'wtf how did that close down' action going on. Perfect sweep play, blitz called opposite side so the entire defense flowed away from the play, perfect guard kickout, corner is screaming down the field with my WR, and the safety is blocked, NOBODY within 10yds of the LOS, and still Addai has two men on him by the time he clears the first level ? WTF ?

while I like the right stick being the "upper body movement/lean away from contact/juke movement" it has a lot of work to do. One play I'll juke the man out of his shoes, the next he won't do anything. Timing and such yeah I know, but it is clear that this is the 'first year' of the idea. I like it, but it will be frustrating for a few years.

and am I just blind, but I don't see the "sprint" button ?

for me, the NCAA has it "more right" with the locomotion engine and gameplay.

I think I read the sprint button was being done away with to have make "permanent sprint" or something like that

Yeah, there is no sprint button, but there is the option to turn sprinting on apparently. It's all part of their "deeper, simpler, whatever" motto for this years game.

Just played my second game, still enjoying it despite not understanding a damn thing about American Football. I'm worried...

I've done just that. I'm pretty sure I understand scoring and downs and the concept of plays and the basic aims of things. My next step is to try and learn some of the jargon and slang words for stuff that happens. Some of the 'Gameplan' stuff that comes up makes no sense to me. It's like the Simpsons episode with the power plant softball team; I'm Homer at the bat, looking at Mr Burn's dance of signals and instructions.

EDIT - Anyone know why sometimes when I use the 'Show playart' (or whatever its called) players on my team get a Button above their heads, and sometimes they don't? Is it down to the rules of the sport that I can't pass in certain situations (or it'd be better not to), is it down to something I've selected before, or is the game being a dick?