Luther

DFF

Trailer

It starts tonight on BBC One for us UKers. I'm quite looking forward to it, as I know how awesome Elba can be from his time as Stringer Bell in The Wire.

Former 'Doctor' Paul McGann is also in it.

Anyone else going to be watching?

• 2 weeks later...

Second episode was an improvment on the first. It seems like they are going for individual stories with the stalker as the link between them. The stand alone story for episode 2 was really good imo. Anyone else watch it?

• 3 weeks later...

Fuck me, the last twenty-minutes of tonights show was sensational. I'd love this to get a second series, but it could be hard to end it in an wasy way to set one up. Idris Elba has been fantastic (which isn't new), and the guy who plays Reed was great today.

• Like 1

Fuck me, the last twenty-minutes of tonights show was sensational. I'd love this to get a second series, but it could be hard to end it in an wasy way to set one up. Idris Elba has been fantastic (which isn't new), and the guy who plays Reed was great today.

I liked the story in general too, but yes, those last twenty minutes or so are some of the best of British TV for a while. Wow.

• 2 months later...

As mentioned in the Sherlock thread, Luther is returning soon for 2 one hour specials. Hopefully this'll lead to a full further series being commissioned, as it was excellent.

• 8 years later...

Did anyone watch last night's return?  

Spoilered thoughts within: 

Spoiler

I pretty much called the twist relating to the psychiatrist, but it was still done well. I think I'm a smidge tired of the gangland side of the storyline, and the mentality of the mob boss doesn't seem to make much sense. Alice reappearing is obviously a boon for the show, and I'm looking forward to seeing where she fits in. She looked potentially injured, so I wonder if she was the person the mobster shot at at the swimming pool? 

1 hour ago, DFF said:

Did anyone watch last night's return?  

Spoilered thoughts within: 

Hide contents

I pretty much called the twist relating to the psychiatrist, but it was still done well. I think I'm a smidge tired of the gangland side of the storyline, and the mentality of the mob boss doesn't seem to make much sense. Alice reappearing is obviously a boon for the show, and I'm looking forward to seeing where she fits in. She looked potentially injured, so I wonder if she was the person the mobster shot at at the swimming pool? 

I think you're right on that last point.

I thought it was a great start to the new series, the killer was terrifying and I was suitably unnerved throughout the episode.

Spoiler

I actually jumped off the sofa in delight when Luther opened the door at the end to reveal Alice. They'd set it up well to make us wonder if it was Shenk or George knocking at the door, then the reveal being Alice was wonderful. She's an amazing character, I was so gutted when she didn't turn up in the last series/special and appeared to actually be dead, so to see her back when I really thought Ruth Wilson might just be too busy for it nowadays was great.

Also, I love that of the three people who discussed this show on EWB upon it's debut almost 9 years ago now, two of us are still here :lol:.

• 4 years later...

It was ok imo, without being special. I'm not as down on it as some reviewers (I think Serkis was great as the villain), but it probably could have just been a TV show.