Mourinho to Real Madrid

edcq

Real Madrid will unveil Jose Mourinho as their new manager on Monday after agreeing compensation with Inter Milan.

Club presidents Massimo Moratti and Florentino Perez met in Milan on Friday to thrash out a deal to allow Mourinho to quit the Champions League winners.

Mourinho, 47, will replace Manuel Pellegrini in the Madrid hotseat after the Chilean was sacked on Wednesday.

Inter had claimed they were due £13.5m under the terms of Mourinho's contract, which was due to run until 2012.

A Real Madrid statement said: "The agreement took place following a meeting between Inter Milan President Massimo Moratti and Real Madrid President Florentino Perez in Milan.

"The meeting was friendly and cordial, as befits the relationship between both clubs."

It added that Mourinho will be presented as Real's new coach in the press room of the Bernabeu Stadium on Monday afternoon.

Mourinho, who took over at the San Siro in 2008, became only the third man to win European club football's most prestigious competition with two different clubs when Inter beat Bayern Munich 2-0 in Saturday's Champions League final.

That success also assured the Nerazzuri's place in the history books as they became the first Italian team to win the Treble, having already retained the Serie A title and beaten Roma to lift the Italian Cup.

Former Chelsea boss Mourinho was contracted to Inter until 2012.

A club statement said: "President Massimo Moratti and FC Internazionale thank Jose Mourinho and his coaching staff for the work done during two successful seasons on the domestic and European fronts."

Pellegrini's free-scoring Real side finished runners-up in the Spanish League this season, netting 102 goals in 38 games, with 60 of those strikes coming at home.

But the 56-year-old Chilean was dismissed for failing to land any silverware, despite the Spanish giants having signed Cristiano Ronaldo, Kaka, Karim Benzema and Xabi Alonso for a combined fee in excess of £196m in the summer of 2009.

Courtesy of BBC

What do you guys think about this move? He's perhaps the best manager anywhere right now. People complain that he only wants to win games, no matter how ugly the game is, but hey maybe that's what Real need. I think this is a good move for Real if they allow him full control of transfers and such, otherwise it'll just be another failed experiment.

I love Jose Mourinho and don't like Real Madrid at all so I'm a bit upset. Although I think he is the best manager they could get though. they've been in need of a firm hand and he'll certainly provide that.

:(

How long do you think it will be before he falls out with the president and walks out?

If anyone at Real Madrid seriously thinks that bringing in Mourinho means that they have a shot at buying Lampard, Ashley Cole, Essien, etc., they can fuck off right now. :shifty: Ain't happening.

At the moment, Jose Mouriniho is by far the most popular manager in the world (by either fame or infamy) because of his achievements and personality.

I get the feeling that he might have demanded full control of the transfer policy, which might actually be a bigger plus than solely having him as the manage.

It is usually the idea that the Real Madrid manager is just a coach who should get his players to work together, with the Chairman buying and selling a few players whilst the 'coach' just has to force a smile in every press conference.

Now it has already been proven that buying the best players in the world isn't a smart idea if the manager doesn't know what to do with them, which means that it is solely Perez's fault, he knows as such and is now willing to give everything to Jose in order to save face.

I mean look at Kaka for example, he's been considered a failure because he hasn't shined this season. Lets not forget that his style of play resolves around him being the attacking midfielder just behind the striker who threads the ball through... and that signing Ronaldo so soon after meant that his entire style of play was redundant. You can't play with a sole attacking midfielder AND wingers as well as have strikers, a few midfielders and four men in defence.

Now it's win-win for Madrid. If Mouriniho does amazingly well then Perez will look like a smart guy, if he doesn't then Perez can just say that the policy wasn't the smartest idea and can add a few 'extras' to the next squad ala Schevchenko.

But he won't be a failure, All Mouriniho has to do is get further in the Champions League and he will already be seen as better than Pelligrini, who won nothing. Then Perez can sit back, drink champaign and say to his investors that this season has been a success.

hope he enjoys his one season there.

Pfft, bullshit. I know it's Real Madrid and I know Perez is a fucking twat, but Mourinho is considered the best manager in the world right now so they won't kick him out after one season... Unless he totally fucks up, which won't happen. I believe now that Perez saw his 'masterplan' of spending shitloads of money on players without giving the manager a say in the transfer market fail, he'll be glad to let a mastermind like Mourinho take control of building the squad. Hell, Mourinho even said it himself: he won't go to Real if he won't have that freedom.

(removal of the usual anti Mourinho bashing)

Looking at Real Madrid as a team. Arent they pretty buffed up on each and every part of the pitch?

Goalies:

Iker Casillas

Jerzy Dudek

Defenders:

Alvaro Arbeloa

Pepe

Sergio Ramos

Marcelo

Royston Drenthe

Raul Albiol

Ezequiel Garay

Christoph Metzelder

Marcos Alonso

David Mateos

Midfield:

Fernando Gago

Mahamadou Diarra

Kaka

Lassana Diarra

Guti

Xabi Alonso

Rafael Van Der Vaart

Esteban Granero

Pedro Mosquera

Attackers:

Raul

Cristiano Ronaldo

Karim Benzema

Gonzalo Higuain

Javier Acuna

Rodrigo Moreno

Raul Ruiz

Juanfran

And thats the team that played this past season. Where could they possibly toughen up?

I reckon he'll buy a brand new shiny striker/winger to play in a three up top alongside Ronaldo and Higuain. Probably a defensive midfielder to play alongside Alonso behind Kaka. Maicon is strongly rumoured to sign, I wouldn't be suprised to see a central defender come in and maybe a left-back too. Being Real Madrid, there'll probably be 2 marquee signings that help overcrowd the squad as well.