2010/2011 NBA Thread

jrtdot

I'm actually surprised that Shaq isn't a higher target for the Heat considering he is exactly what they need, IMO. I know he was traded from the Heat, but I didn't know of any bad blood that persisted between him and the Heat. Is there any? Because if not, he seems to fit the bill of a wide body who can plug up the center in the playoffs and who ya know..... is chasing a ring.

I'm actually surprised that Shaq isn't a higher target for the Heat considering he is exactly what they need, IMO. I know he was traded from the Heat, but I didn't know of any bad blood that persisted between him and the Heat. Is there any? Because if not, he seems to fit the bill of a wide body who can plug up the center in the playoffs and who ya know..... is chasing a ring.

Maybe becuase he couldn't even go there for the exception ? (according to ESPN chatter yesterday evening)

Sounds like Turkoglu is going to Phoenix, and Calderon and Evans are going to Charlotte. The Raptors are picking up Barbossa, Chandler, and Diaw if the reports are true.

Word is Michael Jordan doesn't want to part with Tyson Chandler so the Bobcats are out of the deal but Turk for Barbosa is still going to happen as one transaction while the other players are "on ice" as they put it at RealGM.

Sounds like Turkoglu is going to Phoenix, and Calderon and Evans are going to Charlotte. The Raptors are picking up Barbossa, Chandler, and Diaw if the reports are true.

Word is Michael Jordan doesn't want to part with Tyson Chandler so the Bobcats are out of the deal but Turk for Barbosa is still going to happen as one transaction while the other players are "on ice" as they put it at RealGM.

Jordan put it on ice because he got a better deal:

Tyson Chandler and Alex Ajinca have been dealt by the Bobcats to Dallas for the non-guaranteed contract of Erick Dampier, Matt Carroll and Eduardo Najera, according to a source.

Chandler believed he would be traded to the Raptors on Monday, but owner Michael Jordan backed out of the trade.

Read more: http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap/#ixzz0taxpuS8D

With this they get more flexibility as Dampier is not guaranteed (and it's like 10 Million i think) also they get decentness in Najera and an okay guy in Carroll.

As a Raps fan that kinda sucks as Chandler would have worked amazingly in TO with Bargs at the PF if he stayed healthy and with Diaw they would have gotten a multi-faceted scorer.

Also in answer to naiwf, the Heat have signed Ziggy, Zydrunas Ilgauskas (though his defence is not the greatest he is a big boy)

That would imply that Boozer himself isn't a defensively liability, which isn't the case. Not to mention that Jefferson isn't quite as injury prone as Boozer and the Jazz really came out ahead, all things considered.

Clevland are being destroyed there losing everybody

At least they've got Kyle Lowry coming to save the day.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/lowryky01.html

9 points, 4.5 assists...4 years, $24 million. One more deal made to convince the fans that SOMETHING's being done. :rolleyes:

For a league full of guys hemorrhaging money, it seems like most of the free agents are being paid at least 25% too much.

He did only play 24 minutes a game so I mean if he played 36 it would be close to 12 points, 6 assists, and 4.5 rebounds or so I would think. He's also only 24 years old so while 6 million a year does seem like a little much, it might pan out for the Cavs.

It just doesn't make sense that so many teams are giving mediocre guys $5+ million/yr when there will be a new CBA soon and those contracts will escalate in relative value by at least another 10-15% just based on the owners doing their best to scale salaries down.

Phoenix are my team and I've been wanting them to trade Barbosa for a couple of years now but I just don't think bringing in Turkoglu is the right move... I don't see him fitting in well with the team when he needs the ball in his hands as much as he does to be an effective player, and we know that Nash is gonna be the one with the ball the majority of the time... I really can't see him been a pick-and-roll player with Nash, as he just doesn't have the ability to finish off strong inside IMO...

Getting Josh Childress was a decent deal, especially only giving up a second round pick to get him... Maybe his and Warrick's contracts are too big for my liking but hopefully they both turn out to be decent additions to this unit... I see Phoenix maybe finishing with a 6-8 seed in the West this season...

Cleveland just can't get a break at the moment lol Houston have already matched the offer sheet thrown at Kyle Lowry and he'll be returning to Houston... Tough...

Warriors sold for record $450 million

By JOSH DUBOW, AP Sports Writer 25 minutes ago

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP)—Golden State Warriors owner Chris Cohan reached an agreement Thursday to sell the franchise for a record $450 million to Boston Celtics minority partner Joe Lacob and Mandalay Entertainment CEO Peter Guber. . . . . Their offer broke the record for the largest sale in league history, topping the $401 million Robert Sarver paid to buy the Phoenix Suns in 2004.

So a guy named Goober spent $450 million for the least valuable basketball franchise in the state of California and broke a record to do so. What more really needs to be said?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5381152

Raja Bell ditched the Lakers, Heat and Bulls to go back to Utah. Hmm...over under on "he must be allergic to winning championships" comment from our resident Laker fan: 16 hours.

The Jazz get a proven defensive stopper for less than half of the offer sheet that Wes Matthews got from Portland. Sure, he's 10 years older or so, but he's not as likely to get gangstered by Kobe in May.

While I would've liked to have seen him on the Lakers, if it means that Shannon Brown is coming back then I'm cool with it.

Also, it makes a bit more sense for Bell since he'll get a lot more playing time in Utah than he would've on either the Heat or the Lakers and maybe the Bulls but that depends on who all they end up signing.

Warriors sold for record $450 million

By JOSH DUBOW, AP Sports Writer 25 minutes ago

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP)—Golden State Warriors owner Chris Cohan reached an agreement Thursday to sell the franchise for a record $450 million to Boston Celtics minority partner Joe Lacob and Mandalay Entertainment CEO Peter Guber. . . . . Their offer broke the record for the largest sale in league history, topping the $401 million Robert Sarver paid to buy the Phoenix Suns in 2004.

So a guy named Goober spent $450 million for the least valuable basketball franchise in the state of California and broke a record to do so. What more really needs to be said?

Good news for Warriors fans is that this is an actual Warriors fan buying the team. Supposedly he's had season tickets for 10 years.