Halfway through 2010... whatyathink?

RPS

So we are halfway through 2010 and what a freaking year it's been. Great releases seemingly every week, big name bands still to release some huge albums and probably more releases still to be announced before the year's end. I can honestly say that not since 2005 have I been overwhelmed with so many great albums. Even right know, I'm addicted to at least 6 albums from 2010. I don't freaking have enough time to listen to all the music I want to.

Best albums:

1. Gorillaz - Plastic Beach (too me, it's the head to toe best album of the year. A bit long, some songs could be cut, but when the record delivers, it's so good)

2. Kelis - Flesh Tone (definitely growing on me and could surpass Gorillaz. This is pure dance bliss. Keli's succeeds in being timeless, independent and unique where everyone else is acting like Gaga.)

3. Yeasayer - Odd Blood (weird and accessible at the same time, Yeasayer manages to somehow bridge the gaps between indie, avant-garde and the dance floor. It sound's like Rihanna meets Of Montreal meets Animal Collective).

4. Hot Chip - One Life Stand (this could have been a perfect record had Hot Chip reconsidered some of the duller tracks on the record. Hot Chip has always been it's best when recording for the dance floor and the same is true here. The ballads suck; the hip shakers rule.)

5. Scissor Sisters - Night Work* (I think by the end of the year this record will have grown on me immensely. They cut out the kitsch from Ta-Dah and focused on celebrating sexual freedom and it work's 100% for them).

6. Kele - The Boxer* (Kele definitely has benefited from losing Bloc Party. By the end, it was too schizo. The band seemed to lack any clear direction. Kele's electronic vision is weighed down by his band mates aspirations for a Silent Alarm repeat).

7. Sleigh Bells - Treats (I'm not so crazy about Treats like everyone else, but I have to admit it's a great record. I just don't think it's as great as people make it out to be. I think their second album will be LOADS better than this one).

8. Janelle Monáe – The ArchAndroid* (I just downloaded this and LOVE IT. It's going to definitely place higher near the end of the year, I just need to listen to it more.)

9. Flying Lotus – Cosmogramma* (People are saying Sleigh Bells have this revolutionary sound, but I dig Cosmogramma FAR more. It's deep, jolting and captivating. I just downloaded it yesterday but I can see myself become addicted to this soon)

10. Robyn – Body Talk Pt. 1 (I feel like I want to like Robyn more than I actually do. She makes great songs - Dancing On My Own is out of this world. The rest of Body Talk just isn't as wonderful as I wanted it to be. She is releasing 3 albums this year, so there is bound to be filler here and there. Let's hope the next two installments are great.)

The records with asteriks are ones I just downloaded in the last two weeks, so they'll definitely pick up steam in the next few weeks and months.

Any one else? What are you guys feeling? Any recommendations? What did you love and what did you hate?

Rock Sugar - Reimaginator and Slash - Slash (!) are my two favourite albums so far this year.

Though while I REALLY like both of them, I think they might be the only two 2010 albums I've actually played...