RIP Harvey Pekar

GoGo Yubari

CLEVELAND HTS., Ohio -- Famed underground comic writer Harvey Pekar was found dead in his Cleveland Heights home on Monday morning, according to officials with the Cuyahoga County Coroners Office.

Spokesperson Powell Caesar tells Fox 8 News Pekar, 70, was discovered by his wife, Joyce, shortly before 1:00 a.m. The coroner's office says it does not appear that foul play or trauma were involved in Pekar's death. Pekar had been suffering from prostate cancer, asthma, high blood pressure and depression.

The Cleveland born artist and writer was best known for his autobiographical American Splendor series, which he began publishing in 1976, chronicle his grousing about work, money and the monotony of life.

The series inspired a 2003 critically acclaimed film starting actor Paul Giamatti.

An autopsy to determine the cause of death is pending.

Fuck :crying:

The movie is seriously my all-time favorite biopic, and one of the rare movies I've actually rewatched multiple times, and I love the comic and only wish I'd read some of the more recent ones he's done. Rest in peace, Harvey.

Just watched American Splendor for a film class about two weeks ago. Awesome film, and Harvey seemed like a good sport about it. RIP.

Sad part is, Cleveland probably will hardly care, because they're busy plotting the torching of a basketball player's house.

I only became aware of him because of the movie, and read a few of the newer American Splendour comics as a result. He seemed to be a darn good guy who'd lead an interesting life. RIP.