Neil Young commits career suicide

METALMAN

forgot to put career in the title. :shifty:

But yeah, for the umpteenth time he's put out something that's getting near universally panned. Usually I tend to agree with the critics on Neil Young matters, but I actually quite like this song. People are complaining that it sounds rough and unpolished, but that's precisely why I like it.

He's working with Daniel Lanois so he is calling the album...Le Noise. Dreadful.

video and stuff here

Not to be a twat but I don't think Neil Young is capable. It's like all the old farts with a big body of work, either you love them no matter what or find them irrelevant. Only way to ruin your legacy is to do something really off away from music, unless it's marrying your cousin, that doesn't hurt in music.

Not to be a twat but I don't think Neil Young is capable. It's like all the old farts with a big body of work, either you love them no matter what or find them irrelevant. Only way to ruin your legacy is to do something really off away from music, unless it's marrying your cousin, that doesn't hurt in music.

Well calling them irrelevant is a bit ridiculous. Whether you like the work of Neil Young or other 'old farts' or not, has nothing to do with their relevance to music history in general. They all have their place there and rightfully so. You don't actually think that someone who has been making music for most of his life and is well resprected by other musicians is not capable?

I'm not even a big fan of Neil Young, but he has made awesome music and has definitely earned his spot in music history.

• Like 2

I didn't mean old farts in a bad way. I just meant that they are old farts. I love me some old farts. I still like Bob Dylan. I love Nick Cave who is getting up there. By irrelevant I meant that their new music isn't featured on the same vehicles that drive most bands or artists that are popular (radio, MTV and the like) and instead requires listeners to either buy the album based on legacy/fandom or easily ignore it (except Nick Cave who is doing the opposite and seems to be becoming more popular with age). The thing is though and you said it yourself, they are important in music's history. Younger fans generally get into these artists due to newer bands listing them as an inspiration, because their parents played them or because they want to go back and see why certain artists are considered so important in music.

I also never mentioned that they weren't capable, you would need to be capable to develop an aura that doesn't lose its sheen and allows the sort of longevity and relevance these artists experience.

I don't think though that too many bands or artists listen to new Bob Dylan or Neil Young and say 'holy shit this is ground breaking stuff'. Chances are if any of these artists released something that was so far removed from their previous body of work to make this possible (no matter how good it was) people would be bitching saying that this is nothing like their previous shit and they should stick to their knitting. So it's really a double edged sword. So yes I believe their legacy and the music they make is important, but I believe that everything is weighed against their legacy which doesn't allow for a huge evolution in their newer work.