Owen to Madrid?

G-O-D

England striker Michael Owen will be unveiled as a Real Madrid player tomorrow after passing a medical tonight.

Owen is joining the Spanish giants in an #8million plus player-exchange deal after Liverpool agreed to sell the 24-year-old earlier today.

Owen had just one season remaining on his contract at Anfield but after talks over a new deal stalled, new manager Rafael Benitez today revealed he would be leaving.

Real issued a statement on their website, www.realmadrid.com, this evening with a photograph of the erstwhile Liverpool forward giving the thumbs up.

The statement read: 'Owen will be presented tomorrow (Saturday) at 1300 hours at the Santiago Bernabeu.

'The forward landed at 1750 at the Torrejon de Ardoz airport and then was taken to the Zarzuela Clinic to have the necessary medical exam.

'The Englishman arrived at the aforementioned clinic with his personal assistant and Javier Garcia Coll.

'Doctors Alfonso Del Corral and Juan Carlos Hernandez were in charge of the exams and also a cardiological study and radiological tests.

'The doctors gave the go-ahead and the striker can from now on wear the white shirt.'

Rumours that Owen was to leave Anfield intensified earlier this week, just days after the player claimed he was 'closer than ever' to signing a new Liverpool deal.

He was then left on the bench for the Reds' Champions League qualifier against Graz AK in Austria on Tuesday, a move which prevented him from becoming cup-tied.

Midfielder Antonio Nunez is expected to move in the opposite direction as part of the deal.

Benitez now hopes to use some of the Owen money to pursue his interest in Real Sociedad's Xabi Alonso. Barcelona's right-sided midfielder Luis Garcia has also been mentioned as a possible target.

Benitez said: 'I would hope to use the money from Michael's deal to bring those players in quickly. But I must explain we were very, very happy with Michael. He trains well and is a fantastic player.

'For us we know he must go because his contract finishes in a year. But that was not the problem, we had waited one year and two months for a new contract. And we knew that Real Madrid knew that.

'It was impossible to control the situation. For us it was bad but at the end it was impossible. He will sign a contract with a good team in Real Madrid and we need to use this money to balance the team.

'We were very happy with Michael, we wanted Michael here a lot of years but a long time had gone by without signing a new contract. Last year Real Madrid tried to sign the player and now they have done.'

Owen's departure ends a long association with the club that saw him come through the club's youth ranks.

A prodigious talent, Owen was given his first team chance by former manager Roy Evans at the tail end of the 1996-97 season and promptly scored on his debut against Wimbledon.

He quickly established himself as a first-team regular and went on to score 118 goals in 216 appearances for the club.

Wondering if this is a move desigend to help placate Real's restless Englishman, the inscrutable Mr. Beckham. He's considered to still be pretty lonely in the Real side, so bringing another Englishman into the team would at least give him someone to communicate with.

As you said, Owen's not likely to be a top-choice at the Bernabeu, unless Real are going to be running a three-striker formation with Raul and Ronaldo. Don't think Morientes is still in the picture...he'll likely be sold to some backwater club in Latvia or something after helping Monaco knock Real out of the Champions League. :P

I'm just waiting for the Real supporters to get tired of waiting for Perez and his "galacticos" to actually, you know, WIN something and shove his ass out the door, asking him to take Figo, Owen, Ronaldo, and Beckham with him. The more players Real try to load up on, the less respect I have for them. They're becoming a damn joke, like the fucking New York Yankees. :angry:

I'm just waiting for the Real supporters to get tired of waiting for Perez and his "galacticos" to actually, you know, WIN something and shove his ass out the door, asking him to take Figo, Owen, Ronaldo, and Beckham with him.  The more players Real try to load up on, the less respect I have for them.  They're becoming a damn joke, like the fucking New York Yankees. :angry:

I think he was MAYBE right to go. Sorry but he just hasn't be as good as he should be and because of that he shouldn't be playing for Liverpool. They were once the best team in England, they cant afford to have strikers not scoring goals, and Owen was finding it super hard to find form. I would take Baros and Cisse or Baros/Kewell over Owen/Baros or something.

I cant see Owen getting to play loads at Madrid, but he will get into the team a lot. Plus Beckhams there so that will help him out big time if you ask me. Ronaldo is still way better than Owen if you ask me, but if they play Owen alongside Ronaldo I think Madrid can get back to there winning ways and take over Europe again ;)