iDOM 2010: Top Stories of the Past Two Years

IDOL

It's looking really good, but i had a query, i played the beta version and that had many wrestlers under written contracts for smaller promotions too, shouldn't all the wrestlers have a pay-per-appearance deal?(Leaving the ones for the big companies of course.)

CHIKARA DEBUTS

chikara.jpg

With the closure of the Vancouver Championship Wrestling project, Mike Quackenbush returned to the US and decided to open his own junior heavyweight based promotion, only his vision of what that promotion would be was rather, well - wacky? Yeah that's a good word for it. Inspired by the Lucha Libre, and Super Junior styles of Mexico and Japan, CHIKARA debuted in May of 2009 and presented a product unlike anything seen before. With a mix of over the top characters and masked luchadors played mostly by Quackenbush's Wrestle Factory graduates, CHIKARA has gained a unique cult following.

• Like 1

TEW 2005 only as I'm aware. Although I'm sure somebody (possibly IzzyX) will work on making it a EWR version, and I'm personally going to try and convert it to 2010, if that's cool with iDOL.

CHIKARA DEBUTS

chikara.jpg

That's great. I spent too much of Sunday afternoon reading the iDom wiki and as you do that and start to place everyone in this world you start to wonder about the guys/feds missing. So when I was all said and done the one lingering question I had at the forefront of my mind was "What's Mike Quackenbush doing and does he have any kind of Chikara place to train and develop wrestlers in this world?" And I log in today and look at that, the answer to my question.

Kudos and growing more excited.

THE FORMATION OF FMLL

FMLL-1.jpg

With ILA stepping away from the traditional Lucha Libre style so beloved to Mexico, news broke in late December of 2009 that legendary luchador Blue Demon Jr. and Vampiro were set to launch a new promotion dubbed "FMLL," or "Federación Mexicana de Lucha Libre." The company will use a touring schedule with events taking place in the months of March, June, July, August, October, and November. As of yet, Blue Demon Jr. and Vampiro are the only names signed onto the project, with more names expected to be announced in January. This marks the first time in over twenty years that another large promotion has operated alongside ILA in Mexico.

• Like 1

...Dude....I'm already working on a TEW2010 version :lol:

You're saying that like it's a known fact, meaning.. people would actually pay attention to you .. :unsure:

NERO MAKES AN IMPACT IN TWE

jeff_hardy_662301a_28617.jpg

Jeff Hardy as "Nero"

When Jeff Hardy left NWA Los Angeles at the conclusion of their Devil May Care event with Titan Wrestling Entertainment as his destination, few would have predicted just how big that move would actually be for the younger Hardy brother, who had been a fixture in Los Angeles' main event scene for the better part of four years. Often regarded as the land of the big men, few expected that Hardy would get the same type of push in the east coast's biggest promotion. After all, the last time Hardy had competed in TWE was alongside his brother Matt in the late 90's and was used as little more than cannon fodder to teams like The Nasty Boys. Why would this run be any different?

But different, it was. In June, viral videos began airing on TWE television hyping the debut of "Nero," asking those who viewed it if they were ready to "know the unknown." As weeks progressed, the viral videos moved from airing during commercial breaks, to airing on the "Titan Tron" during TWE matches, particularly those involving the company's top heel and Heavyweight Champion, Jean Paul Levesque. Making his official debut during September's "In Your House: Breaking Point" pay per view, Hardy (as Nero) would have a significant outcome in the TWE Heavyweight Title match.

With the referee knocked down during the bout that saw JPL defending his title in a triple threat match against Shawn Michaels and Chris Mordetzky, JPL looked to the aid of his trusty sledge hammer to batter his foes. However, as the lights went out and the viral video played, only this time reading "Meet the Unknown," a surprised JPL was "treated" to a first hand encounter with TWE's newest, face painted star - courtesy of a chair shot from Nero, and a top rope Swanton Bomb! As Nero left through the crowd, HBK "tuned up the band," and planted JPL with some Sweet Chin Music as he returned to his feet. However, the crowd's hopes for an HBK title win were put to rest as Mr. Wonderful returned to the ring, ripped Michaels out of the cover and forced HBK into unconsciousness with his "Wonderlock" Full Nelson to fulfill his promise of becoming TWE Heavyweight Champion.

The JPL - Nero feud continued throughout the remainder of 2008, where at "In Your House: Armageddon," Nero bested the blue blooded JPL in a hellacious Three Stages of Hell Match (first fall: standard singles match, second fall: ladder match, third fall: cage match) to end the feud and propel the mysterious face painted star to the top of the card for good. Who would have guessed?

• Like 2

GLAM! BEGINS PROMOTING UNSANCTIONED "REAL" WORLD WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP

RenaMero.jpg

GLAM! President Rena Mero

For nearly three years Rena Mero had taken what started as an embarrassing venture by the NWA in GLAM! (then Gorgeous Ladies for the American Male) and molded it into what would become the only all women organization in the NWA, and the top place for females to hone their craft in America in what we've all come to know as Gorgeous Ladies of the American Mat. Gorgeous Ladies for the American Male launched with a debut show featuring half naked women, a “pudding” match involving a performer with a nymphomaniac gimmick, a segment where Tylene Buck interviewed the show’s male sponsor while licking a banana suggestively, and a one that made an embarrassment out of the legendary Fabulous Moolah (and the NWA as a whole.) Realizing their mistake, the NWA soon sought to salvage the operation by replacing the established group of leaders in the organization with Rena Mero. A long supporter of equal rights for women in the business, Rena had made a statement when in 2002 she filed lawsuit with Titan Wrestling Entertainment for sexual harassment. Over the next three years with Rena at the helm of the promotion, the organization evolved from a sleazy joke of a promotion to a group with one of the most interesting products in all of the NWA, male or female. After three years of hard work, all Mero asked for from the NWA in return was a match to showcase the GLAM! competitors at the biggest show of the year, Starrcade ('07.) When the NWA ignored her request, Mero fired back.

Kicking off their first event of the year, "Sound of the Underground," Rena Mero took center stage. She was fully aware of the risks about what she planned to do. President J.J. Dillon himself had strongly advised Rena to think at least twice, before rocking the boat.

But Rena had built, or rebuilt her reputation, by being a troublemaker. By being a pain in the ass. By refusing to roll over and let the power-hungry men of the National Wrestling Alliance screw her over. She stood up to one of the most powerful men in the Alliance. Her former employer. And she forced him to admit that he was wrong, that he had exploited her, that he had crossed a line. It was by rocking the boat, that she gained the moral, and the economic capital to be seen as an equal, a colleague, a businesswoman. She was a peer, an equal, of men such as Dusty Rhodes, Ric Flair, and especially, Vincent Kennedy McMahon.

Rocking the boat had got her this far. And now she and her company stood at a crossroads. The honeymoon period was over. The novelty had worn off. GLAM's popularity had plateaued. It could all to easily fall by the wayside. It was time to move ahead. To rise above...

Rena took one last look at the paper in her hand and allowed a wry smile to play across her beautiful face. She then looked ahead, and, without looking back, stepped into the limelight. Before continuing with the following:

"For the past three and a half-years, we have been on one hell of a roller coaster. From the second I stepped in to salvage this company from the mess that had been made of its debut, I have worked tirelessly to see this promotion survive, to thrive, and to challenge the prejudices and preconceptions which thrive in this business. It has been hard. I've had sleepless nights; I've shouted myself hoarse trying to drive hard bargains and on more than one occasion, I've had to have to lay the Smackdown on certain members of the NWA to earn the respect that these Gorgeous Ladies of the American Mat truly deserve. I've sacrifficed a lot to achieve that goal, to break that glass ceiling. I've lost sleep, I've lost my youth and, I'm not so vain to admit, that I've probably lost my looks.

But make no mistake, it has ALL been worth it. I am NOT standing in this ring tonight, on our final show of the year to look for sympathy. I am extending my gratitude, on behalf of every woman in this company to all of you for keeping this pipedream alive. Every sacrifice I have ever had to make in this company is worth it just to see all of you here tonight!

But the reason I wanted to come out here tonight; the reason I wanted to step into this ring; the reason I want to have the last word on GLAM's 2007 is to tell all of you that the battle is not over. The war has not been won. To quote a certain 'stud' from Cuba, it's survey time! How many of you were looking forward to see the women athletes of GLAM! at Starrcade?

I thought so. And rightly so. It's the superbowl of the NWA. We saw Brock Lesnar defend the NWA championship against Chris Benoit. Starrcade went down as one of the finest shows ever put together by the National Wrestling Alliance. And it is all thanks to the hard work and dedication of the NWA board of directors and, of course, the president, J.J. Dillon. But we all know that something was missing from that show. So I hope that I speak for everyone in this building, every woman in the back, everyone supports or works hard to make this company what it is, when I say to J.J. Dillon and the NWA board...

FUCK YOU!

Fuck you, J.J. And I hope that if you ware watching me say this, it's because you've got up off your ass and put on the DVD which I am personally going to gift-wrap and send to you. I want the satisfaction of knowing that you will be looking into my eyes as I say this. I am NOT a woman who thrives on airing her dirty laundry in public. When I made a stand against the sexism and harassment rife in the highest levels in this business, I made a vow to conduct that fight with dignity. But now, J.J., the gloves are off. I asked you for ONE match. I asked you for less than 10 minutes to show to the world what we had built. What we could do. I asked for one chance to put us on the map. But above all I asked for you to put your money where your mouth is. I asked you to show that the NWA affiliation of this company wasn't just political correctness. I asked for one match.

And do you know what our esteemed president said to me? Do you know what I was told in THIS nicely worded letter from the NWA? That whilst he respected GLAM!s input, it wouldn't be "a good political move" to put GLAM! on the card.

I repeat again. FUCK YOU!

For years, I have had to endure the patronizing looks every time I step into the offices of the NWA. Every time I come face to face with J.J. Dillon. Because, J.J., despite your words. Despite your reassurances. You don't really have faith in this company, do you? Because if you did, J.J., you wouldn't have SOLD the NWA Women's championship to Vince McMahon. You wouldn't tolerate talentless, untrained, weak girls getting their name in the history books, on the honour roll of NWA Women's champions, at the expense of REAL women. Women like Nora Greenwald, women like Alexis Laree, women like Lisa Moretti and, dare I say it, women like Jazz. Three years ago you let Vince McMahon once again patronize the women of this business by letting him STEAL that belt from around Jazz' waist.

And now, after three years of proving the world wrong. After three years of survival, of growth, of the BEST women's wrestling in the USA today, we STILL haven't won the war, have we J.J.? Vince McMahon's sexist, petty and money grabbing politics STILL gets further in the NWA than the blood, sweat and tears of the beautiful, hard-working, ass-kicking women of GLAM! Huh?! We aren't even worth 5 minutes of your time. We're not even worth a dark match!?

I am putting the NWA on notice. Myself and the women of this company will be overlooked no longer. You refuse to acknowledge the hard work myself and these ladies have put into this company? You refuse to acknowledge us?

Well let me tell you something J.J., we don't need your support, and we don't need to blindly acknowledge the NWA World Women's Title - Vince's high dollar trophy - as the pinacle of this sport. Because J.J., we certainly know that's not the case! So here tonight - at Sound of the Underground - I am presenting all of you this"...

Retrieving a red bag from the mat, Mero pulls out a championship title belt - one looking oddly familiar to the "Big Gold" that represents the NWA World Heavyweight Title, only replacing the NWA logo is the term "REAL."

"Say hello to the REAL Women's World Championship - the true pinnacle of our profession for these fine young women who work their asses off in this GLAM! ring night in and night out. And there's no woman more deserving of this honor than "The Bitch that Beat Katrina" herself, Jazz! So J.J. in words that you can wrap your head around, I'll repeat myself. We don't need your approval, we don't need the NWA's approval, and we certainly don't need your title belt.

J.J. Dillon, FUCK YOU!"

With that, The controversial REAL World Women's Championship was born.

Credit to Downward Spiral for most of Rena Mero's promo.

• Like 2