2011 MLB Season

sahyder1

Dumb, but whatever. It's the Red Sox.

Apparently he wants to go back to the White Sox but the Nationals should really make a push for him if they don't retain Davey Johnson.

Shauhnessy supposedly wrote a column on Torre going to the Red Sox. Haven't read it yet nor do I believe there is anything to it but short of Torre who do you get to replace Francona?

Burnett's such a friggin' toss-up. He may go out there and shut the Tigers out for seven innings (less likely) or give up eight runs in three.

He's more likely to shut them out for 4/5 innings and then give up 8 in the 5th/6th. When it goes bad for AJ he quits.

Can the Mets get in on the Francona sweepstakes? Boston should extend an offer to Willie Randolph :shifty:

Me, yesterday morning:

To be perfectly honest - I am a Boston fan, love Boston. But even I saw last night coming from a mile away. With the way the Sox were playing lately, they did not deserve to be in the playoffs. Yesterday I had a little hope, of course, but honestly they would have been swept by Texas anyway. There's just too many things wrong with the team to have been any good beyond today.

In conclusion: to all you lol,boston guys :(

ESPN's not confirming Francona's status right now. I wouldn't be surprised if he's out, but it's a stupid move. Bad start to the season and an embarrassing finish to the season never reflect well for a manager whose team has missed the last 2 postseasons despite a high payroll and high expectations.

I'm debating changing my pick to the Cards, they have owned the Phillies this year. But I have a rule about teams with great rotations and you can't look too much into the regular season when they have guys like Halladay and Lee going on the mound.

The Yankees starting rotation doesn't look amazing, I have to admit. However, they have more than just Sabathia. Don't count out Ivan Nova, just because he's young. Also, don't count out Freddy Garcia. He might not be the pitcher he used to be, but he's still solid. No one expected him to do well this year, yet he held his own and had a good year. The most important thing about Garcia is his playoff experience. He's already got a ring. He knows what it takes to get another.

I refuse to defend AJ Burnett. He's a douchebag. Sometimes he shows signs of greatness, but we all know that's few and far between.

Also, the Red Sox firing Francona was such a horribly bad move. First off, who's gonna replace him? Bobby Valentine? Lol? Second, Francona was the first manager in 86 years to lead the Red Sox to the title. And he led them to a second title. Whatever happened to loyalty? Absolutely awful, especially since he's just a scapegoat for upper management.

Before anyone brings up Joe Torre, I said the same thing when the Yankees got rid of him. I'm happy Girardi led them to a title, but I thought it was the wrong move getting rid of Torre. Girardi was the only man capable of replacing him, besides Don Mattingly.

So any word on how the pitching is being handled for the restart of Tigers/Yanks? I would hate to see the Sabathia/Verlander matchup go down just like that.

Oh and sorry about your loss today Texas, I feel like Baltimore played an integral role in the entire game. Mike Gonzalez pitched AND the Rays were there courtesy of Boston getting owned by the O's the final week of the season.

So any word on how the pitching is being handled for the restart of Tigers/Yanks? I would hate to see the Sabathia/Verlander matchup go down just like that.

Oh and sorry about your loss today Texas, I feel like Baltimore played an integral role in the entire game. Mike Gonzalez pitched AND the Rays were there courtesy of Boston getting owned by the O's the final week of the season.

Ivan Nova-Doug Fister will pitch tomorrow. Sabathia wants to go Sunday, again.

Ivan Nova-Doug Fister will pitch tomorrow. Sabathia wants to go Sunday, again.

I was just listening to his postgame stuff on WFAN and they were reporting that Girardi announced that Garcia will start on Sunday.

As for the updated pitching. Nova and Fister will "start" game 1 tomorrow. Garcia vs Scherzer or Sunday. Tigers already announced Verlander for Monday and I am sure we'll see Sabathia for the Yankees on Monday.

What a performance for Matt Moore. Great call from Maddon.

Any chance Detroit had of winning the series is gone now IMO.

I saw a couple of Yankees beat writers tweet earlier that Sabathia might not go until Game 4 and Burnett may end up getting the Monday start instead. I don't necessarily believe it but it hurts the Yankees big time as well.

So basically we are looking at:

Game 1: Fister @ Nova

Game 2: Scherzer @ Garcia

Game 3: Sabathia @ Verlander

Game 4: Porcello @ Burnett

Game 5: ???

I'd give the Yankees the edge in game one, going up 1-0. Game two I'd give the slight edge to the Tigers. Garcia had a lower ERA during the season, but I think he's tired and the Tigers will have an offensive outburst at some point in the series. Game three will be the teeter-tottor game, as both aces will most likely return to the mound. Verlander is already confirmed to go Monday, and I'm sure Sabathia won't let the Yankees send Burnett out against the Cy Young winner. I'll say the Yankees end up taking this one, as Verlander hasn't proven to be able to be dominant in the postseason (although Sabathia hasn't either). I'm assuming if both of these guys go, they won't be pushed too far and might be contempt with six solid innings. I'll say the Yankees take game three for the sake of predictions, but this game will be a toss up. In game four, Burnett takes the mound unless the Yankees wanna send Nova out on short rest. I can see them making that decision if they trail in the series, but if they are up 2-1, and have the chance to send Nova out on regular rest in game five against someone other than Verlander (or even if Verlander comes back on super short rest). I say the Tigers take game four and the Yankees take the series in the fifth and final game.

Any chance Detroit had of winning the series is gone now IMO.

I saw a couple of Yankees beat writers tweet earlier that Sabathia might not go until Game 4 and Burnett may end up getting the Monday start instead. I don't necessarily believe it but it hurts the Yankees big time as well.

That may be true, but Verlander only pitching once hurts Detroit's chances of winning a lot more considering the Yankees have home field as well.

Loved the Rangers offense last night, and the bullpen was able to be good enough (eff you, Uehara) to get the win. Now the series goes to Tampa where we won three times last postseason. I'd love for the Rangers to win the series in four and not even worry about coming back to Arlington for a fifth game.

Phillies chased Carpenter early and still couldn't win? There's one of your "You Can't Script October" scenarios.

Andy Reid waddled over from the Linc and managed the game after they went up 4-0. :( Shitty Philly sports day :(

You mean the Phillies lost?! I don't believe it, they have the best rotation in the history of anything etc. etc.

You can't tell anyone around here anything. I called in to the local ESPN station here and the moron DJ kept saying "You mean to tell me St. Louis has a better rotation? You think the Brewers do?!" And I calmly told him that they didn't, but that doesn't always equate into a guarantee win. He wouldn't have any of it. He couldn't fathom that someone wasn't 100% positive that the Phillies were World Series bound. Blows my mind that some idiots get jobs like that in the first place. Is this his first year watching baseball?