My Portfolio Website

IDOL

With student loans now coming due, I figured it's probably time to actually start trying to get a design job. I just put the finishing touches on my portfolio website and figured I'd share it with you guys and get opinions or pick out any errors before linking it off to potential employers. I'm still waiting for my godaddy domain to link up the nameservers so I can have my real .net domain show. Here it is at the free domain for now.

portfolio_previe.jpg

http://joshlacey.net/

Interesting portfolio dude. The layout is good of it. Maybe change some of stuff like "I print" and others. Maybe simple it down with t-shirt printing and photography if you get the idea? Maybe a section showing off some annotation and being critical of your work. Where you know there's room for improvement. And how you advance on an idea showing inspiration and such. It's usually what is also looked for in graphics being critical and always trying new ideas. May help I don't know.

Thanks for the feedback Lex, but to be honest I think I'd rather just showcase my work and let potential employers decide for themselves rather than have me be ripping on my own stuff. I've never really seen that done in anyone's portfolio where they're critiquing their own work. I have the different categories because I'm looking for work in each of them.

Yeah, nothing says "I'm a professional who you want working on your projects" like pointing out your own flaws and shoddy work.

False representation is bad Idol. You don't have horns :shifty: ... or are you going the Rey Jr stick on route ?

Seriously though, the only thing that stood out to me was that you've got your portfolio there on the index page (main page, whatever you call it) but then you've got the linke too it as well in the headers. Shouldn't that be a "home" or "main" link ? Or maybe have a different index/main page and then your actual portfolio page ? Seems like perhaps that main page might have on example of each of your categories and then the actual portfolio page has all of them.

Don't know if that made any sense or is even anything legit or not, but really it's the only thing I noticed.

Outside of that little thing that very well might just be me, it looks fantastic.

I really don't like the generic scroll bar. It sticks out a lot, and it is a very simple thing to skin. You could easily tie it in to the rest of the website.

The other thing I would recommend, which entails a lot more coding, is to have your work pop out from the website, with everything else fading away. I believe it's a bit of javascript. I'll try and find an example. Just the constant reload everytime someone clicks on a portfolio item, then having to backtrack continuously. It adds a lot of work.

It's very well structured otherwise. I dig it.

False representation is bad Idol. You don't have horns :shifty: ... or are you going the Rey Jr stick on route ?

Seriously though, the only thing that stood out to me was that you've got your portfolio there on the index page (main page, whatever you call it) but then you've got the linke too it as well in the headers. Shouldn't that be a "home" or "main" link ? Or maybe have a different index/main page and then your actual portfolio page ? Seems like perhaps that main page might have on example of each of your categories and then the actual portfolio page has all of them.

Don't know if that made any sense or is even anything legit or not, but really it's the only thing I noticed.

Outside of that little thing that very well might just be me, it looks fantastic.

Yeah I definitely get what you mean, and I contemplated that as well but decided just to have the homepage be the actual portfolio. It definitely goes against most established "rules" though.

• 3 months later...