Top Spin 4

Timmoru Suzuki

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Okay, so I finally rented the full game today. Stuck it on and gone straight into creating my own player, pretty nice creations overall. Just started a career, but wondering a few things.

What settings does everybody/anybody who has bothered with career use? I'm talking the set/game settings mostly. I cant stand playing unrealistic, so I've got with the real tennis option, 6 games a set, 3/5 sets. Anybody else playing that way? I'm currently on my first game and it's taken quite a while just to get the first set over. No problem really as it's been a great game so far, but it's making me wonder if it'll actually take forever to get anywhere in career playing full sets, as it looks like one game can take over an hour, and that's just the rookie players from the looks of things.

Is there any certain special shots I don't know about, barring the special RA serve? I know about the spin and of course drop shot, but I swear the computer sometimes pulls off super power shots, is that just down to timing or have I missed something? Also, is there an option to turn off the ball marker/x that shows where the ball is going to bounce? And do you guys play with it on or off?

Started the career on Very Hard, mainly because I've been playing loads of the demo on hard and feeling comfortable with that, so I went the extra step for the full challenge. Thankfully it's pretty damn hard and that's just against the opening rookie in the first minor tournament. Just won the first set 6-3, but every game was competitive, so great stuff.

I'll be getting back on live in the next few days, so if anybody fancies a game on 360, let me know.

Edited by JohnnyPerfect

The super power shots will be down to timing - if you hold the button down when the ball is at the other side of the net, it'll be at full power by the time it reaches you, so just let go at the correct time.

As for the Career match options, I went with real tennis rules, but yes, it does take a while to progress. The problem for me was, I'd gotten too good playing on the hardest difficulty, and to unlock the even harder mode, you need to win a Grand Slam - the fact it's taken ages for me to get near that level, and that it will take me longer to reach that and win it has made me go away from the game, for a while at least. It's a bit silly that you can't change the match options once the career has started, to be honest. I understand if you start a tournament in the full mode, you should finish it that way, but in between events I don't see the problem with changing it up.

Cheers for that mate, didn't even know about the holding the button down for more power in all honesty, how I went without that I'll never know. Wondered why my stamina bar was constantly high and my opponents was often drained.

Doing pretty well in my career. Made it to the semis in my first two minor tournaments but lost both matches. Finally won my first tournament on my third try though, the Munich grass one, final was hard as shit though. I'm finally up to rookie and able to enter major tournaments or something, whether that's a good idea just yet I have no idea. The coach stuff is a nice little touch, just coming to grips with it all.