TEW05 Classic Update: 1997 (WIP)

Right I'm looking at getting a few opinions on this as I work through it as apposed to keeping it behind closed doors for ages.

Anyway what this is is my second attempt at a classic scenario, the plan is to use this as a starting point and move forward in history (and then move back), was meant to start with 1989 but that was a bit tricky with a lack of knowledge hence 1997 an era I can work with easier.

These are the current promotions to be included., those in bold are currently completed.

- All Japan Pro-Wrestling (AJPW)

- Asistencia Asesoría y Administration (AAA)

- Consejo Mundial de Lucha Libre (CMLL)

- Extreme Championship Wrestling (ECW)

- Frontier Martial-Arts Wrestling (FMW)

- New Japan Pro-Wrestling (NJPW)

- Organization of Modern Extreme Grappling Arts (OMEGA)

- World Championship Wrestling (WCW)

- World Wrestling Federation (WWF)

What I'm looking for is something similar to the monthly updates, some views on stat changes, missing workers and so on, if anyone can help with rosters for missing promotions that would also be helpful as well as any other changes so as I can get some feedback.

Next up is All Japan and New Japan who have relative simple rosters to my knowledge.

Also before I get a load of "OMEGA shouldn't be included it didn't start up until late 1997", yes that's right however from my knowledge I'm sure Matt and Jeff were running a promotion before OMEGA which later became OMEGA so rather than have that in I've included OMEGA.

Database: MEGAUPLOAD & RAPIDSHARE

Edited by TheWho87

One specific thing I noticed was that The Giant is set as a face, but also in the nWo. Other then some obvious things, it's a pretty good work in progress.

The nWo is one problem I have specifically getting who was in it at the time.

In regards to Giant from the results he is going up against Hogan for the title after winning WW3 and then follows up in February teaming with Luger to take the tag titles so I’d assume he left the nWo between WW3 and Souled Out I’m just not sure if it was in 96 or 97.

There's a few Japanese promotions that I know you will need to get around to adding.

All Japan Women's Pro-Wrestling

Battlarts

Michinoku Pro

Osaka Pro

Surely there are more too. NOAH, Dragon Gate, and Inoki Genome don't come around until the 21st century. Keep in mind the importance of putting in a lot of work for the first scenario. If 1997 has all the details it needs then the following year(s) will be rather simple to make. Plus people will expect quality with your classic updates and giving them this quality in the first one you release will only increase the help you get with the minute details in later ones.

There's a few Japanese promotions that I know you will need to get around to adding.

Battlarts

Michinoku Pro

Osaka Pro

Surely there are more too. NOAH, Dragon Gate, and Inoki Genome don't come around until the 21st century. Keep in mind the importance of putting in a lot of work for the first scenario. If 1997 has all the details it needs then the following year(s) will be rather simple to make. Plus people will expect quality with your classic updates and giving them this quality in the first one you release will only increase the help you get with the minute details in later ones.

My plan was to first finish up the promotions listed as I do feel they would be the main promotions around at the time, when their in it time to expand for some other promotions but the main problem with smaller promotions is its harder to get rosters, I tried AJW in the 89 update and it was a bitch to find many shows around the period I had to build a roster from the whole of the year.

Battlarts

Michinoku Pro

Osaka Pro

My plan was to first finish up the promotions listed as I do feel they would be the main promotions around at the time, when their in it time to expand for some other promotions but the main problem with smaller promotions is its harder to get rosters, I tried AJW in the 89 update and it was a bitch to find many shows around the period I had to build a roster from the whole of the year.

No arguments here, obviously the big promotions should take precedence. Unfortunately the online, English-language databases of information like match results and such aren't going to provide that much use yet. Hopefully as time goes on both the TEW updates and online Wikis will develop if not together at a similar pace.

Well I tend to use cagematch.net to get results for around the period and I do build the roster up based off the last couple shows of the previous year and the first couple of the new year that is unless their were any known changes. Both Japan and Mexico are real pigs to get infomation on but i'm sure i'll get a skeleton roster just based off results from the period.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like I'm on course to finish up Japan either today or tomorrow, when I do finish I'll upload the data and post it up before starting work on Mexico's two big promotions.

Anyone know who would be best to put as WWF booker, I thought it was set but during a few test runs Michael Hayes tends to pick up the position.

And does anyone know who would be best to put in the backstage positions (bookers/road agents) for WWF, WC and ECW. I cant find much info who was working backstage for the period.

Looks like I'm on course to finish up Japan either today or tomorrow, when I do finish I'll upload the data and post it up before starting work on Mexico's two big promotions.

Anyone know who would be best to put as WWF booker, I thought it was set but during a few test runs Michael Hayes tends to pick up the position.

And does anyone know who would be best to put in the backstage positions (bookers/road agents) for WWF, WC and ECW. I cant find much info who was working backstage for the period.

Russo became the booker in February or March of 97 I believe, so he could be set as the head booker, otherwise writing staff is fine.

In terms of Road Agents, Bruce Prichard comes to mind. As well as the obvious options of Patterson and Brisco. Part of me thinks Lawler was a road agent back then but I have no support on that claim. Regarding Hayes, I'm pretty sure he was just an announcer and interviewer and that he became a road agent in 98 or 99. I'm pretty sure Steve Keirn could go down as a road agent. Tom Prichard could possibly be a road agent as well or a backstage worker as he was working as a trainer for the WWF at the time. Sgt. Slaughter and Jack Lanza I would assume are locks for a road agent spot. Harvey Whippleman could be considered for a road agent spot, or at least a backstage worker. Tony Garea has to be a lock as a road agent.

So overall I would say

Road Agents: Tony Garea (Lock), Sgt. Slaughter (Lock), Jack Lanza (Lock), Bruce Prichard, Patterson, Brisco, Lawler (Doubtful), Keirn, Tom Prichard, Harvey Whippleman

Head Booker: Russo or Vince McMahon

Edited by tougie

Finished Japan and have done a few fixes to other areas

Database: MEGAUPLOAD & RAPIDSHARE

Going to start on AAA and CMLL now, their a bit harder than usual so I'm hoping to get through them in 1-2 weeks.

If you notice any problems/errors in the current data post it up and I'll fix it for the next release.