Clarence "Big Man" Clemons Dies Aged 69

Marcos

Clarence Clemons, the longtime saxophonist in Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band, died Saturday of complications from a stroke. He was 69.

Known as The Big man, the 6', 4" former college football player was a legendary sideman for the New Jersey-born rocker from the early 1970s, playing on such hits as "Born to Run" and "Thunder Road."

Clemons had dealt with a series of medical problems over the past decade, including having both knees replaced and spinal fusion surgery, but his health had seemed to be improving.

He performed just last month with Lady Gaga on the season finale of American Idol. Then last week, it was revealed he had been hospitalized with a stroke. After early improvement, he took a turn for the worse later in the week.

:(

Very sad news indeed. One of my best live music moments was watching him and Bruce on stage at Hampden, and the fact that he was still so active and messing about on stage at 67.

R.I.P Big Man.

4:20 for the reason why he was considered one of the best Sax players in the business.

:(

• Like 1

Guest Canary4life

R.I.P.

I read about this on Facebook earlier today. I never really listened to his music but I knew who he was. It's sad for anybody to pass away, regardless of the age. Condolences to his friends and family.

Terrible, terrible, terrible news. While I have to be in the right kind of mood to listen to most of the E Street Band stuff, Springsteen remains one of my favourite artists - he was pretty much the first thing I ever listened to, I can remember sneaking downstairs to rifle through my parents' record collection when I was a little kid and putting on Born In The USA. And, without Clarence, the E Street Band really don't feel like the E Street Band any more.

Sad, sad news.