Home Run Derby Contest

For those who get into the Home Run Derby, which I do, a buddy of mine an I created a game this year for a group of our friends. We've never done this before, so it could be quite an imperfect system. Any obvious flaws can be pointed out to make it better.

The premise is you pick a group of three contestants for tomorrow night's HR derby. You will get 1 point for each HR hit by your contestants. 3 bonus points will be awarded if you have the winner in your group and 3 points awarded for having the guy who hits the longest measured HR of the night.

Tie breaker will be picking which league's group of 4 will hit more total HR's and how many it will be. There will be no penalty for going under, it's just closest to the number.

Because I was worried everyone would inevitably just pick the same 3 people I have broken it down into categories, based on HR numbers so far as well as past experience in the derby. You must select one contestant from each of the 3 groups.

Group A

Jose Bautista

Prince Fielder

David Ortiz

Group B

Matt Kemp

Adrian Gonzalez

Matt Holliday

Group C

Robinson Cano

Rickie Weeks

At the risk of sounding political here, I don't know that having a band that sounds like they should be opening a NASCAR event and signing about Skynyrd of all bands is the way to go when many Americans think that Arizona is a wee bit racist these days.