Studio Ghibli

Liam

So, I've watched Spirited Away a few years ago, and loved it. From my local CEX, picked up Grave of the Fireflies and Howls' Moving Castle, but not checked them out just yet. I assume there will be people on the board who are fans of this stuff, so thought I'd just see what people thought, what films are worth checking out, yadda yadda yadda.

I really need to invest in a boxset or something, because I've loved every one I've seen. Still have a lot to see though, having only seen My Neighbour Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Castle in the Sky, Spirited Away, Grave of the Fireflies, Princess Mononoke and Howl's Moving Castle. I'd quite like to tackle Tales from Earthsea next.

Edited by WalkerWGZ

I love Studio Ghibli. Totoro is the single greatest kids' movie - if I ever have kids, I'm raising them with that film. Second to that, Spirited Away is probably my favourite, closely followed by either Howl's Moving Castle or Laputa - Howl's is probably the better movie, but Laputa has that wonderful Ghibli sense of feeling like you're in another world entirely. Grave Of The Fireflies is depressing as hell, but it's a beautiful film.

I watched Arrietty in the cinema and, honestly, didn't enjoy it that much...it was nice, but it never felt like a Studio Ghibli film. Partly because it was obviously based on an English story and, unlike Howl's, didn't really stray from the source material all that much, but it also didn't seem to flow the same way or anything...the use of music seemed a lot more prevalent than usual, but I don't know if that's something that would bug anyone else as much as it did me.

I actually used to collect Ghibli merchandise, though not so much any more...I've got three Totoro wallets/purses, a couple of stuffed Totoros and Soot Sprites, a Ghibli T-shirt, I bought the present Lady Skumfrog a replica of the pendant from Laputa, and I've got god knows how many other bits and pieces lying around.

This thread caused me to get a bunch of these. As some may know - I have two kids. Jack is too young to really pay attention anyway, but Mischa is 6. Which ones do you guys recommend as okay for a 6 year old?

Like Skummy said, both Totoro and Spirited Away are great for kids, especially Totoro (Spirited Away may have some scary things for young kids, what with the whole

parents turning into pigs thing, and the whole demon eating other creatures

)

Hey, I like No Face! it's just that I can see young kids getting scared of him during that thing I mentioned. His awesomeness is undeniable, though.

EDIT: Also, Summers, for the love of God, don't let your kids watch Pom Poko. I haven't seen it, but from what I know of it, it can traumatize them for life.

Edited by Johnny Latino Heat

Pon Poko might be a bit much for the kids at their age, especially the carnival scenes, which while sensational, could be a bit frightening.

I shall do my top list of Ghibli films soon, but My Neighbour Totoro would be perfect for the kids, and if you can get a hold of a copy (ask me if you can't), Panda GO! Panda.

I honestly think Totoro is one of the most perfect kids' films ever - there's no villain, no real conflict, just kids going off on magical adventures behind their parents' back. The only thing close to scary for kids is that their mother is hospitalised with an ill-defined illness, but which I doubt most kids would find particularly distressing at all.

We watched 40 minutes of Spirited Away today, she didn't seem put off by it, shall see how the rest goes down tomorrow. It's about the most adult one I'd want her to see, in terms of "scary" content.

I've got My Neighbour Toroto, Laputa, Ponyo, Howl's Moving Castle and Princess Mononoke. Which of those do you strongly not recommend?

Also Grave of the Fireflies, but I know not to let her see that. I also want to personally see Pom Poko, just based on what you guys have said.

Not got Panda GO! Panda, but I shall try and find a copy.

We watched 40 minutes of Spirited Away today, she didn't seem put off by it, shall see how the rest goes down tomorrow. It's about the most adult one I'd want her to see, in terms of "scary" content.

I've got My Neighbour Toroto, Laputa, Ponyo, Howl's Moving Castle and Princess Mononoke. Which of those do you strongly not recommend?

Also Grave of the Fireflies, but I know not to let her see that. I also want to personally see Pom Poko, just based on what you guys have said.

Not got Panda GO! Panda, but I shall try and find a copy.

Out of those, I only didn't see Ponyo and Laputa. Princess Mononoke is a definite no-no. Curses, lots of blood and fighting, animal killings, god killings... I love the movie to death, but for a kid? No, definitely not. Howl I can't remember that well, but I don't think it has objectionable material, and Totoro is perfect for kids.

I love Panda Go Panda. It's just silly, old-fashioned kids' cartoon fun. I'd say it's suitable for well younger than six, actually. I've only ever watched it with my 30 year old sister, though, because she's obsessed with pandas, so perhaps I missed something >_<