Hamster's BOARD GAME SALE thread!

Wouldn't postage be quite dear?

Japanese international postage is a wonderful thing. If you can post it as a "small package" - basically in a jiffy bag which is fine for my games as they come with a sturdy plastic box - then it's only 600yen which (ignoring the inflated exchange rates and look at what it's worth for me here) is about £2.80/£3.00 per game. Anywhere in the world. If I ship them together in a bigger package then it costs a little more. Small package is wonderful and can get somewhere in 3-5 days no problem.

Contents:

8 dice in 8 different colours. Mmmm sexy.

8 fully coloured and sexy character cards (already sheathed in card protectors). Mmmmm sexy protection.

4 Weapon description cards in card protectors.

6 red and 6 blue team card "bands" for Team Deathmatch games - they are slid into your player's card protector when you play a team game.

28 glass bead health markers.

24 thick cork tokens for weapons (these depend on what I can source and have been light wood, plastic and now cork).

2 foam-backed flag tiles for Capture the Flag games.

Rules on paper

New play mode cards.

Sturdy plastic box with full colour front and back covers.

Love.

Wouldn't postage be quite dear?

Japanese international postage is a wonderful thing. If you can post it as a "small package" - basically in a jiffy bag which is fine for my games as they come with a sturdy plastic box - then it's only 600yen which (ignoring the inflated exchange rates and look at what it's worth for me here) is about £2.80/£3.00 per game. Anywhere in the world. If I ship them together in a bigger package then it costs a little more. Small package is wonderful and can get somewhere in 3-5 days no problem.

Sooo: Hammy collection...to mah' door. How muchsies?

So. Halfway through my first season of FOOTY MANAGER, Riga sit fifth in the Fourth Division. We'd been battered in our first four games, culminating with a 6-0 loss to Marseilles, but since then have notched three wins straight leading into the season's halfway point. The team is mostly the same bar one signing, a 34-year-old striker named Achille LeFevre, who has two goals and an assist in two games, and the stadium is growing nicely. I could make a few gripes about the amount of checks and dice rolls there are, but it seems pretty solid and is pretty light on the amount of work you have to do.

• Like 1

Yeah it's pretty dice heavy but you get into a rhythm and it's not so bad. Did you print off the chart sheets? Once you know the flow of the game then you only tend to need to refer to the sheets.

I've been longing to play it multiplayer with people but no-one where I live is into football management stuff. <_<

Yeah it's pretty dice heavy but you get into a rhythm and it's not so bad. Did you print off the chart sheets? Once you know the flow of the game then you only tend to need to refer to the sheets.

I've been longing to play it multiplayer with people but no-one where I live is into football management stuff. <_<

Yes. I've been keeping track of it all in an Excel spreadsheet - I couldn't make any sense out of the one linked on the site I got the rest of this from. At the moment, I'm looking to finish in the lower half of the table: good on the attack, but Jesus my defense needs work. I may make this into a diary after a couple of seasons, I haven't decided.

Of course, no sooner do I say that does Marseilles fuck me over. Six shots, all saves, then goals off their last two shots and they escape with a 2-0 victory. ARG.

I would be interested to read a diary on it.

What formation are you playing? There are a couple of teams in that division with strong attacking intent that always screwed me over. Thing is, when they get promoted you just get even tougher teams coming down!

Started out 4-3-3 in the first season and a few weeks of the second, then one of my defenders got crocked so I switched to 3-4-3. More ridiculous is that, through mostly blind luck and judicious use of the Rebound technique, we are undefeated as of week 9, top of the table and seven points ahead of the side in second (Bordeaux) with five games to play. And, as good narrative would have it, we play Bordeaux in week 14. Wonderful stuff.

Finished the year 10-3-1, top of the league by 13 points in the end. The one loss came when my goalie got himself injured for three weeks and I had to play a youth team keeper in his place. Even then we still won twice! And the loss was against Castellan, who'd just been relegated, and even that was by one goal (admittedly the final score was 6-5)! What a team...

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, on BoardGameGeek a guy is running a multiplayer play-by-email game of my Footy Manager. A couple of the guys playing are Icelandic (the game has a few Icelandic fans).

One of them is a guy called Almarr Ormarsson who, he revealed, is an attacking midfielder for Icelandic Premier League side Fram Reykjavik (and a former U21 Icelandic international). It's a weird world sometimes.

Almarr%20Ormarsson-250288.JPG

571881.jpg

Should be able to get myself free tickets or something. :pervert:

• 5 months later...

So I've picked up my Footy Manager game again, I've just finished season #5 and I am really enjoying how the game world is mutating. I've added a couple of tweaks of my own so that there's greater movement among the teams and a bunch of "non-league teams" so teams can get relegated from the Fourth Division as well, and there's been a lot of interesting change.

Britain's fortunes have been mixed. Hammersmith and Manchester have both fallen some way from their past 2 and 4 rankings - Hammersmith just got relegated along with Madrid, who were Premier runners up in season 4 - but Glasgow and Tottenham have jumped up quite a bit. As it stands, there are going to be a lot of all-British games because those four and Woolwich - last year's Cup winners - are all going to be Second Division sides this year. Surprisingly, the highest ranked of the lot is Merseyside, who were just promoted to the Premier last year and are ranked 8.

Riga got promoted at the end of season 4 and came AGONISINGLY close to scoring promotion this year as well. A combination of injuries to both my first and second-choice goalkeepers, plus a couple of other key players, plus the crucial results just not going our way led to us finishing third on goal difference, being pipped to the post by Oporto. Oporto nearly made it the whole year unbeaten however, only losing once in week 13 to Donetsk, so they kinda deserve it. At the other end of the table, it sucks to be Eindhoven - after being relegated in season 4, they sucked out loud and despite a late surge of success, couldn't do enough and are going down again. It was tight, though, and they were only beaten to sixth place by Castellan on goal difference. Amsterdam, on the other hand, just stunk all season - it took them until week 10 to get a win.

If you're not playing this, do. Srsly.

• Like 1

You're a fine man. I've been working on and off on a way to change team attack/defence ratings as they get promoted/relegated so that teams really do evolve over time. If I do get that balanced then I'll link you.

When I get back to England I'm grabbing a handful of friends to play multiplayer seasons and see where our fortunes and misfortunes lead us.

You enticed me to print off a new set and get a new season going. Sadly I've always been terrible at the game. The start is always so hard and that game against Marseille is always pretty brutal (I kept it to a 4-2 defeat). After four games I'm bottom with just two draws (at home against the two worst teams - Istanbul and Bucharest) including a rare 0-0. I've got three first team injuries though - Goalie Dillinger is in the middle of a 2 game stint out, right back Plath took a four week hit after just one game and winger Shanks has just taken a 2 week knock.

In desperation I turned to the transfer list and took a central midfielder called Santiago. He's 37 and retiring at the end of the season but he's a 7.5 which is a whole 1.0 rating better than the rest of the team. He scored in his first game.

Both my strikers have a couple of goals and Millar has provided two assists from defence.

I also just got knocked out of the cup in the first round - 3-1 home defeat to Amsterdam. That wasn't the draw I wanted when the teams were coming out.

I'm running the Cup module, board expectations module and youth team module. One of my youth players has improved to 5.5 already, I'm just pumping training into that lad. He's only 16 so I focussed on him.

Recovery! Half way through the first season and just had a decent 3 game run - Beat Athens 3-1 at home, brilliant 2-2 draw away at Bordeaux (changed to 4-3-3 for it) and then just stunningly beat Paris 4-1 away (3-4-3). Bought another central midfielder - Radic (7 rated 25 year old) who scored on his debut.

My one season wonder Santiago has 3 goals and 4 assists in 6 games. Up front I've got Mulch (3 goals in 7) and Cornish (5 goals in 7) so they're doing decent jobs. Sadly my central defensive rock Millar just picked up a 3 week injury (the lad's provided 3 assists from the back this year).

I was rock bottom after 4 games (with 2 points) but after 7 games the table is...

1. Marseille - 13pts (+5)

2. Bordeaux - 11pts (+9)

-------------------------------

3. Kiev - 10pts (+0)

4. Bucharest - 10pts (-2)

5. Canterbury - 9pts (+1)

6. Istanbul - 8pts (+0)

7. Athens - 8pts (-3)

8. Paris - 5pts (-8)

Wahey! Mid table mediocrity!

Paris are having a nightmare. They were third favourites going into the season but only have 1 win in 7 games. Marseille are the only unbeaten team and Bucharest have drawn 4 (like Marseille). Bordeaux have scored the most (19), Istanbul and Athens the least (11). Marseille have conceded the least (9) and Paris the most (21).