Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread

Is Gunter injured or does Redknapp just not rate him? He's going on about wanting cover at right back but I thought Gunter, Smith and Zokora (and Hutton when he returns in a few months) who can play there should be enough.

Gunter's not good enough, he's still young as well. Let him develop in the reserves for a bit, trot him out when we're desperate or when we can afford to rest some players and see how he does. When we're desperate for points in the league and playing big cup matches he's not a player we want to be giving a run out, we need our best and experienced players out there.

Smith's also not ready, he's played one, maybe two games in the senior team? Zokora's out of position at right back and while he has proven he can do an alright job there it's not a long-term solution and when you have Hutton out for ages and Corluka often needing to fill in at centre back, we could do with some consistency in the defence with a proper right back. I doubt Redknapp's talking about anyone who would overtake Corluka as first choice, though. I liked the idea of a loan for someone like Chimbonda.

Edited by AD

Gunter's not good enough, he's still young as well. Let him develop in the reserves for a bit, trot him out when we're desperate or when we can afford to rest some players and see how he does. When we're desperate for points in the league and playing big cup matches he's not a player we want to be giving a run out, we need our best and experienced players out there.

Smith's also not ready, he's played one, maybe two games in the senior team? Zokora's out of position at right back and while he has proven he can do an alright job there it's not a long-term solution and when you have Hutton out for ages and Corluka often needing to fill in at centre back, we could do with some consistency in the defence with a proper right back. I doubt Redknapp's talking about anyone who would overtake Corluka as first choice, though. I liked the idea of a loan for someone like Chimbonda.

Chimbonda? Hope he never returns, whinging Frenchman that he is. Gunter has been really good IMO in the appearances he's made, never let the team down and has looked really good going forward. Smith also seems a good prospect and could probably handle the odd match or two (he'd be 4th/5th in line, so he won't get much of a run).

Borussia Dortmund have signed midfielder Kevin-Prince Boateng on loan from Tottenham until the end of the season.

The 21-year-old was frozen out by former Spurs boss Juande Ramos and, though he has featured twice since the arrival of Harry Redknapp at White Hart Lane, has been keen to find regular first-team football.

Dortmund general manager Michael Zorc revealed the deal included an option to buy, adding: "But first we want to see how he is. He hasn't had an easy time."

He added on the club's official website: "Kevin sees the change as a great personal opportunity."

So Redknapp isn't happy with our depth and then goes and loans out a back up. Hopefully he has some people coming in.

Yeah that is a bit odd to say that and then loan him out. Kind of like saying we need a bigger, stronger team and then buying Jermain Defoe. At least it's a position we have a fair few options when fully healthy, though. I think Taarabt may even be ahead of Boateng in the pecking order now.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...